The Corroboree

Hey guys managed to get this of a very nice lady who was moving house today, i haven't had a look yet to check myself but i was wondering if you guys would have any idea what type of tricho this is, its like 90cm tall and 30cm+ wide, thats side to side not circumference, i haven't seen anything like it before, im sure you blokes have though so hit me with some knowledge

post-12716-0-96145800-1365589921_thumb.j

post-12716-0-96145800-1365589921_thumb.jpg

post-12716-0-96145800-1365589921_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

You tease! :P Take a better picture haha. But from what I can see - it looks amazing. :)

• Like 2

yeah i have to take one with my camera, thats the misses phone and its s@#t, ill snap some better ones soon sorry guys with close up of the aereola for you to show the spine pattern, the spines are like nails though, my mate put one straight through his finger nail earlier trying to help me move it

wowow great cacti but what a terrible picture :(

Damn dude, did you take that pic with the mousepad or something? :P Anyhow though, nice tricho!

• Like 1

Here we are that should be a bit better let me know if you need anything else for it guys

CAM00070

• Like 4

Over 90cm tall and just over 30cm from side to side, is this a special breed or just a freak of nature, cheers guys

EG or Mutant might be able to help you. Maybe a T pasacana complex I'm not really sure.

Is it rare or have we all seen something like this, but were not quite sure what it was or is, just wondering if i can say its rare as my housemate wants me to use it for grafting and i keep telling him im not going to because i think it is to rare to be cut apart for a graft (to beautiful aswell), let me know guys, i want an excuse to leave this one the way it is, cheers

Hi Skywalker, can you make a few better shots? Spine closeups and such. Am having serious trouble to see the spines. Definately a nice cactus. Thinking in the Terscheckii Pasacana Area but could also be a Carnegia aka Saguaro.

Dont graft onto it!!

Whatever it is, it looks like a slow growing, beautiful plant.

Tersheckii, pascana and saguaros take a long time to develop and if its any of those 3 you should be looking at 10 years old minimum or possibly alot older than that.

Such a majestic beast.

Whatever it is, it would be a prized addition to any collection, nice score.

• Like 2

Dont cut that beauty up its probably older then you. Only use fast growing stock for grafts otherwise its kind of pointless.

Absolutely! Using a plant like this as a grafting stock would be a crime against nature! Seriously, if this is a Saguaro, this is a valuable plant as is. When i started growing cacti, i paid 70 Euros for a 30 Centimeter tall Saguaro. At that point, the plant was already 30-40 years old. Maybe more. The price was way too exy but i would assume that a Carnegia of that size would go for serious money on ebay germany. From your pics its not clear if yours is a Terscheckii or a Carnegia but in both cases, it would be a shame to cut it.

Thank christ for that, i showed my mate what you guys said, he now understands my hesitation and has dropped the subject completey, i think the lady said she had it for at least 12 years and it was big when she got it, not this big but big, cheers for the info guys i will take some better snap shots of everything tommorow, i found my phone charger so they will be good ones with a lot of detail, till then peoples sleep tight

• Like 2

Im thinking its the Terscheckii Pasacana, just having a look at some pics on google and it more closely resembles pasacana, with the more predictable rib formation and solitary nature, ill whack some photos up in the morning just to be sure, thanks for all the help guys, does any one any know anything about the flowering habits of said cacti i just did a quick search and nothing is striking me to wuick im sure i can find something but if the knowledge is here i figure may aswell ask, and when it does flower does any one want some seed?

Lol, i'm no expert but its quite possible that this plant may not flower until you are reaching the end of your life or even after that.

Definately a treasure that deserves to be passed onto your children one day :)

• Like 1

Hehe then they'll be the envy of the next generation of cacti nerds after inheriting your collection!

Hey SkyWalker, here are some pics i took of a big cactus which may be similar to yours.

Hopefully these will help you with the ID process

I believe this is a trichocereus terscheckii (although i could be wrong.... wheres EG lol?)

post-8023-0-71789700-1366162086_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-74458600-1366162100_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-47717700-1366162115_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-90602600-1366162129_thumb.jp

and here is a grafted trichocereus pascana

post-8023-0-65371300-1366162188_thumb.jp

all the ''big three'' (trichocereus terscheckii, trichocereus pascana and carnegiea gigantea) take a very very long time to reach maturity, so whatever you have, you've got a great head start :)

IMG_2942.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_2942.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG