The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cultivator22

Guest cultivator22

Hello everyone, as you can tell from the title I am a Newbie. I was reading through several sites such as Erowid and others, and well I have a few questions. thanks for your patience with the elementary questions.

1) I noticed that it does take quite a long time to grow from seed, is it possible to buy or take donations of cuttings from online sources?

2) Generally, what type of light intensity is required, Watts per foot?

3)I am looking for a fast growing high yeilding psychoactive cacti, can you suggest an easy strain to start with?

well that is all I have for right now, thanks for your assistance.

Guest cultivator22

At this site, http://english.de-sjamaan.nl/index.htm

I found Trichocereus Peruvianus and Trichocereus Pachanoi - San Pedro.

It says that Peruvianus is stronger than San Pedro, but San Pedro grows faster. Which of the two strains would yuou recommend?

Also when it says cuttings, are these cuttings that are not rooted?

Guest cultivator22

Well I found this site that offers 8-12 inch rooted Trichocereus Peruvianus for 35.00. I think I have found what I was looking for. Sorry to post all the questions without fully doing my home work first. I generally hate when people do that, and now I am guilty. Please disregard all questions I asked before, however, I still have one question that I was unable to find the answer to anywhere. You grow the Trichocereus Peruvianus to your desired height,then you give the proper conditions to increase potency. I have been unable to find how you go about taking to your profits. Do you cut half the plant, the whole thing, clone it? Thanks

Potency is so variable from strain to strain and in different growing conditions etc and different studies have used variable extraction methods etc etc... so it is not really possible to say that "pervianus is stronger than pachanoi"...

re harvesting, you could chop off as much as you wished to throw away (don't eat it because that would be illegal) and leave the rest of the plant to grow -- it will grow new pups (shoots) from the calloused scar you leave.

Trichocereus is easy to propagate from cuttings... buying unrooted cuttings should be fine. Likewise, while you're chopping to "throw stuff away" if you wish to expand your number of plants you could make some cuttings at the same time. You've done well on your research so far, so no doubt you'll be able to find info on the web about how to do cuttings.

Guest cultivator22

rkundalini,

Thanks for your reply. I already came across several sites that went into propagation.Thanks for the regeneration info, I still have not come across it anywhere. You were very helpful.

Guest reville

Id suggest a wander through the archives on this site re cacti as its always been a topic close to our hearts...