The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mutant

"Skunk" AKA indica strains fucking suck ass

I am very sorry but this friend of mine needs to express some opinions, this is not me

skunk strains suck ass. the blurring, the latent psychedelia from the THC high % percents of all these fucking strains that bombard the local markets all result in a low quality and hi 'confusion' high, always benefitting the mass merchants aiming to the high potency of indica/ skunk strain.

Sativa strains, on the other hand are much different. There seems to exist a nice balance of stoning effect, and slight psychedelia, as well as creative expression, and a stimulant , more expressive, less "couch effect" shit , and more creative/playful shit!

and yeah you wont be surprised to hear I kind of totally agree with this ^^^^^ but he continues

yeah ok, skunk might be fine for some times, yah sure, maybe outside in party time , along with beers & co and lots of people , yeah its cool for a small joint to get 6-8 guys stones with a single sip. In general, for cannabis enthousiast, pot with x3 the potency of normal fine sativa-like strains, is still interesting due to potency alone. I dont underestimate skunk/indica totally

But with both single / occasional as well as casual users , shit is complicated. Most experienced smokers get seriously disorganised with daily smoking strong skunk strains for prolonged periods. And since local black markets are infested with poor cultivated indica strains, many people report getting seriously "buzzed up" from smoking a certain strain , seemeingly skunkish, for lots of time

and the most interesting part

I am not sure that prolongued and extreme pot use cannot cause psychotic/manic episodes in otherwise totally healhty individuals, with no predisposition, but to be honest, I have not seen such an occurence: a pot-induced disorder in an clearly not-pre dispositive individual. I have yet to see this. But this is not that its final. Many report the opposite, so, its interesting, I would love to hear opinions on all this from your community

cant say the dude has not some points

cheers,

mutant

PS [to moderators] : Because its bitching against certain plant strains, I thought its appropriate here. transfer as you think appropriate, if you think its more serious, comrades

Agree with the above....

If he is a customer, that sucks...

For growers though, indicas can be harvested early for a less heavy stone..

Some people really enjoy skunk.

Some people really enjoy ass sucking.... who am i to judge.

"Skunk refers to a subset of sativa-dominant Cannabis strains. It is popular for its skunk spray smell, hence the name skunk."

"Skunk strains typically have 10–15% THC and little to no cannabidiol (CBD)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_%28Cannabis%29

High CBD couchlock for me ;)

Personally I cant stand the majority of Sativa/Haze and this is made worse the earlier its harvested and the less its been cured.
I think the main reason is from over stimulation of the vegal nervous system.

Skunk can come in a close second if not very mature and amber.

That said there are some types of sativa and a couple of haze's Ive had that have been superb, very euphoric, uplifting but not too racey (all late harvest and well cured). Conversely Ive had some Indica/Afgani/Kush that has been quite racey and uncomfortable.(usually early harvested and uncured)

IMO it has a LOT to do with the terpene profile at the time of harvest and after curing, this is an area that deserves a lot more research as they do not contain THC. (also curing can be continued post acquisition)
I imagine its a real PITA to get the pure extracts into the country, Ive found them and would REALLY like to try using them for aroma therapy but I haven't even tried to import them because I don't think they would get me anything other than a knock on the door. lol.

For me, the more citrus, acidic, kero/fuel type aromas the worse its going to make me feel and the more musty, musky, and coffee type aromas the more likely it is to help my ailments. (Stomach pain, joint pain, anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, appetite)

I have found that sleeping in a room with these smells can affected me dramaticly!

I never had any major health issues from smoking pot until I moved to SEQLD where the majority of pot is sativa dominant, and early harvested.

If I smoke an early harvest Satty strain for longer than a couple of days I get high B.P, very tense stomach/solar plexus, sweaty, hot, anxious, shaky, almost like Ive got low blood sugar. I start getting hyper, very self conscious/anxious and after a couple weeks of it regularly I push into manic territory.
The trap for me is that its programed into me after so many years of indoor indica smoking when I was younger that having a cone means relaxing, so if Im hyper and anxious from the weed Ill have a cone to calm me down but it just gets worse and the cycle continues.

If I wanted to be stimulated when I had a smoke I would drink a coffee with my joint.

I have noticed this in a lot of people up here, I didn't see anywhere near the same amount of psychosis in Victoria but I was in a younger social group then so that could play a part.

In my eyes the problem with a lot of the indoor strains these days is that from about 2000-2009 there was a BIG push on hybrids and getting as high of a THC% number as possible with little concern for the rest of the canna.*. profile.
I feel this lead to indoor strains that also had a tendency to bring about psychosis, particularly if harvested early with minimal cure time.

Since then there has been a wonderful push in the other direction with a focus on medical cannabis, CBD and other cannabinoids and the introduction of new subtypes to the mass market like ruderalis autoflower strains with tend to be very medicinal for anxiety, hyperactivity and insomnia.

But commercial indoor growers are always going to grow strong, short flower indica/hybrids and push it out as fast as they can for obvious reasons. And commercial outdoor growers are usually going to grow big ass trees (that take too long to grow), that are inevitably harvested early for obvious reasons making already racey strains even more psychoactive and over stimulating.

All this has lead me to basically give up something that was extremely helpful for me and my health problems.
Not being able to get the appropriate strains just turns it into a drug for me and when I cant get a constant supply of the right strains then Ill binge on it and get anxious about it running out etc and wind up 'fiending' for it but if I have a regular supply I end up not smoking that much at all and not abusing it allowing me to be productive and stable (well, stabler:)

But if you could grow your own then you could choose strains that aren't as strong and or are tailored more to your personality and lifestyle.

It kills me that this isnt possible in Australia and has lead to me pretty much give up on it

Unfortunately this is illegal is most 1st world countries so if you arent allowed to grow then try to help the movement to legalise cannabis, its such an important thing to so many people and the funds being diverted to the black market could be used for so many good things,.

Then there is the subject of whats used to grow/maintain commercial cannabis and the techniques/periods used for flushing and withholding etc,.

"Skunk refers to a subset of sativa-dominant Cannabis strains.

'skunk' is a indica dominant hybrid not sativa dominant.

is true about the low to zero CBD, the low CBD ratio has been linked to the many reports of 'skunk' strains causing more adverse psychological reactions than most strains.

cannabinoids are a diverse bunch of compounds & cannabinoid/cannibinoid/terpene ratios are key to the discussion i think

edit: well said andy

Very nice insight Andy, thanks. I am letting my friend talk

Living in a country that actually allows cannabis growers grow a couple of trees per season, I actually get to grow several strains each year now, so I am not a consumer. All my data come mostly from my own experiments, which fit perfectly with the few experienced opinions I have been able to get access to, internet or otherwise.

I personally love early picking some buds, but yeah, you are right that they might be more racing. I have also thought about them being more anxiety bringin to the people prone to psychotic frame of minds or just can stand stimulation a lot. Its also true that when well matured and well cured, pot has the best aroma and the most relaxing character the the strain can give. Over maturing means over stoning / couch effect IME.

but I dont agree that early picking skunk/indica strains fixes them, its a bit clearer and more stim than full mature, but its still very confusing and over-potent. I really feel most of this strains cannot be saved, so early picking and experimenting with date of picking is more important to experiment with in sativa strains IMO. and yeah, very early and poor cured sativa buds might leave a pothead a bit unsatisfied, and not a lot 'stoned' , but in reality its the spoilt view of us potheads. Cannabis is not exactly supposed to be used as anti-anxiety drug. Also, in reality, over-mature sativa strains will offer you exactly what you're asking, the relaxiung effect, minus the blurriness and chaos of most skunk/inmdica strains.

Sure I haven't tried all strains in the world , but I think that pot abusers tend to mislead themselves about their use. Most people prone to psyhcological problems will never be helped long term with cannabis if they are abusing. Now, if certain medical strains were available, yeah, this might help them, if the cease abusing it.

I think it boils down to personal preferance.

but beyond theories and shit, if you give people sativa/uplifting pot to smoke, you see the nice variation of cannabis. People dont loose their balance or become body-heavy for much time after the smoke, theres come euphoria and they remain pretty functionable and up-tuned. If you give people skunk/indica strains to smoke , they become much more confused, much more prone to stay in one place and pretty much unable to do much for some time. The same pattern applies to more experienced users too.

Tolerance can rise pretty high with an extreme user, so this is a problem to, as over use is a more unusual situation, f.e. related to how each strain is perceived.

but, in the end, all sativa strains have a certain tendency , if abused, to bring about inner fears, predispositions, inner matters or shit, just like any other trigger in life.

Strong indica / skunk strains just make this a lot more extreme with say x3 concentrations of THC and lack of the CBDs

Where it started Skunk #1 = 3 way cross of Afghan (indica) x Mexican Acapulco Gold (sativa) x Columbian Gold (sativa).

This sativa dominant line has been outcrossed with many indica dominants since to make the myriad of "skunks" out there.

in my old age I am finding that the best kinds of weed for me are the strongest kinds, the more resin the more I like it. In fact, if hash was popular and more available in Aust it is all I would smoke.

I think my tolerance is so high that I don't notice much difference between strains except for when I get a new bag that's a different strain I notice I will be a little less tolerant to the new strain....which is always a great thing.

I think I was more susceptible to the higher THC varieties making me feel uncomfortable/shy when I was in me teens and twenties. But as I have grown out of a lot of the self loathing of my youth, I find that the more introspective/psychedelic THC is in the pot the more relaxed it makes me....complete and welcome turn around for me.

So yeah, as far as I can tell I absolutely LOVE any kind of pot that is CAKED WITH RESIN but when I was younger I couldn't really handle any kind of pot as I hated my self too much and any kind of drug that made me introspective caused me pain.

I like a good strong indica/sativa high. Too bad the consistency of such quality herb is unheard of in this town.. yet every corner store sells synthanoids.

I can say that a friend of mines parent's were both fighting fit and healthy when she was young.. Her Dad was a cop.

Both her parents are now on disability payments as they've been diagnosed with drug-induced Bipolar caused by Cannabis. I have a mood disorder that has always been around since I can remember, anti-psych's and stabilisers just made me apathetic.. Hence why I self medicate on cannabinoids.

tried amisulpride 100mg per day? It's great but will poop on you after about a month.

seroQuel I love you and your giant fucking Q

see if it was decriminalized not legalized you could order your favorite strain

and have a say in how its grown and what pesticides are used

I can't handle mj, and I never touch the stuff, but this thread makes me wonder: do people buy it by asking for a particular strain/type/method of curing? I thought people just handed over some money and got "something" in return.

Usually it's " you will get what your given".

Which sucks because sometimes you will get given moldy male weed.

that's one good thing about synthetic cannabinoids - you know what you're getting if you order the chemical. With cannabis, well, in the past I have depended upon a small organic source backyard grower, and sometimes I've thought: hmmm a little more CB2 or CBL activity would be nice....but you can't alter it.

that's one reason why I don't trust a lot of street cannabis and think that synths offer a better deal for the large part. Sure, if you could get a sweet bush-grown plant with a nice profile then go for it. But a lot of street cannabis has so much THC and TVHC (or whatever it is) it is just not worth it.

hey tarenna, care to put your disagreement to words?

"that's one good thing about synthetic cannabinoids - you know what you're getting if you order the chemical."

Is the RC market trustworthy in Aus?

personally i dont think all the rc vendors actually know exactly what they have all the time

even if they send out samples to be tested- with out good reference material testing is hard for obscure chems

hey tarenna, care to put your disagreement to words?

Just that quality and specific compounds are not always known or to be relied upon. And if I was going to do such things would far prefer plant matter.

^^^totally agree. I made the effort to contact the NZ manufacturers of kronic (before it was made illegal) to ask about ingredients because of possible side affects with my epilepsy. They were totally unhelpful, refusing to even communicate with me. Long term synth use is not the same as long term cannabis use.

But in keeping with this threads original statement about skunks. I must agree that for me long term daily use of skunk type strains was not a positive e.g. mood swings & aggression.

I suppose it comes down to the same ol' same ol'...too much of anything is not a good thing :( .

I have not anything to comment on synthetic cannabis, other than: apart from other problems, I doubt it one can control those elements we are talking in the thread like the preference and 'colour' of the high [indica high or sativa high? ] with synthetics. Also , LSD, a synthetic, I dont dismiss it as a RC only because there are tons of evidence which claim LSD works, and among it, scientific psychotherapy research from all over the world.

and also, from my friend, the cultivator

This year, with 3 grows experience, I found much of the high us potheads are after, is also very linked with the smoke taste [and probably aroma, even though even less people realise that] . The funny thing is that the taste is very important to the high itself. Shitty tasting pot, will disapoint you from start, even though it might be 'pretty strong shit' and eventually get you stoned. The fact is that you got stoned from a very shitty processed shit, and you still ahve that awful taste in yr mouth. A pleasant smoking pot, lets say not very strong, but decent, wins by tasting fine from start, so the expectation and enjoyment while smoking is contributing to the positive profile of the 'shit' it self.

All these elements, aside the natural and growing things which are fantastic, are completely lost [taste, aroma] when talking about synthetic cannabinoids, which are , I understand different molecules.

So in a thread that discusses how the ultra-potent strains that have developed and spread so much has effected the high that potheads are after, I feel synthetics are really not the answer. Maintaining old strains, like you do with tomato or whatever, yeah this is what I feel is part of the 'solution' to the problem.

INFORMATION> KNOWLEDGE> AWARENESS > ACTION

most people dont know about these stuff. get the fucking word out. more and more potheads are complaining that after a while of smoking THAT shit, their heads are fucked up. Happened to me, well a bit, with the skunk I had grown myself.

I really need to add

smoking too much from the good shit [like sativa, in most people's preference] , is fucked up too

PS: Marcel, no people cannot ask what they can get most of the times. People can claim lots of shit I have found, and about pot in particular some people become champions in bollocks and shitstories, but most of them know shit, their personal point of view of pot is bullshit and most of them haven't even tried to learn something apart from parroting rumours. SO no, pot is illegal, potheads get what the black market has to offer at the current moment. Sometimes, for some, there is a choice. For most people there is none.

This is the crazy thing about natural things being illegal. This way, the only people who have access to some good shit, the access to good sativa bud without it being crazily overpriced, or the option to choose sometimes, are the ones who shouldn't be smoking so much in the first place, and an abuser abuses both awesome and shitty pot. Some of this fine pot should have been smoked from newbies and first-timers!!

What I want to say is that occasional users and people seeking for some kind of help, which are the people that should have the the choice about which pot they'd better try, are they ones that never get to have this option. This is what happens in countrys where pot is illegal. Now in Holland.... hehehe..

much of the high us potheads are after, is also very linked with the smoke taste [and probably aroma, even though even less people realise that] . The funny thing is that the taste is very important to the high itself. Shitty tasting pot, will disapoint you from start, even though it might be 'pretty strong shit' and eventually get you stoned. The fact is that you got stoned from a very shitty processed shit, and you still ahve that awful taste in yr mouth

Oh my glob, I HATE THAT TASTE! bah!@ All my friends say "it's still just weed to me". They couldn't tell an apple from an orange! Yucky dry brown useless crap...like tobacco! :uzi:- - - [Mafia Brickweed].

As for Frank's 2 cents (Frankincense?) on strains: I actually really prefer really strong indica dominants, but unusually i have found, they make me active and jolly. I have never had couchlock from weed alone.

As for (supposed) sativadoms, they feel more psychedelic and occasionally euphoric. I become less active sometimes after such a thing: but this is because I shut my eyes and look at the colours! I have found sativaish stuff to smell very lightly sweet like honey and vanilla. Also the inflorescences seem more flakey and hollow, which makes less opaque smoke.

So for a pleasant pipe smoke i prefer the musky, pungent, potion-like fog clouds from dat good smelly sticky icky, boiiiiiii :bong: [6]

I think aroma and taste are equally considered by many, it's not all about the effect. ie, cuban cigars V's cccccgarettes. But to be honest, aslong as it's organic, ICGAF :P

I think aroma and taste are equally considered by many, it's not all about the effect. ie, cuban cigars V's cccccgarettes. But to be honest, aslong as it's organic, ICGAF :P

Organic Schmanic.. blah blah belerrgh