The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shonman

Stopping fun guys

Can anyone recommend a tech for stopping cuttings in a sealed warm humid environment

From contracting fungi?

I usually don't have a problem with this, but recently had to set up indoors and there is carpeting.

I have come to view carpeting as a disgusting dishrag that just hold fungus and germs for years on end..

Edited by shonman

My first thought was condy's crystals (potassium permanganate) at 1g/L, and if that gives them trouble from too much K, copper sulphate might be a better option.

But... commercial rooting hormone powder has fungicide in it, why not just use that at low dilution?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!

I am actually using some of the old version of Rootone to inhibit fungi,

But some small leaf sections turned brown,...maybe too warm in there, too acid?

Then it looked like the very beginning of fungus forming on them.....

I actually did dilute the root one in water, making a fairly strain solution, and use that to hydrate the coca coir mix

That I use to grow cuttings.........not sure why they are turning brown in some spots, maybe ph, maybe too close to light?...

Edited by shonman

Dipping in a solution of 3% or 6% peroxide before applying hormone can help hey.

One cap full in a glass of water will do the job mate. Every precaution helps!

Wash the box down with a bleach or the above and any tools you are using, No not the one downstairs because that might sting a little ha! :)

I could be right off the track to what you are asking but I will chuck my hat in anyway.

Good luck!

Edited by TrailBlazer
  • Like 2

cuttings straight into a weak houshold bleach dilution (2ml in a litre of water) for 2 mins

and try using fresh clean perlite instead of coca coir

it would help if you would tell us which cuttings they are.

I like as well bleach as lokstok, mentioned, but I don't have to employ it often.

I suggest, bleach for the cuttings, and for the probagation setup.

using individual domes, will keep it from spreading, I would work fast once all is sterilised, and make sure the dome is sealed 100%, even the smallest gap will give the pest a chance to enter, aswell if it's not airtight, you have to re water, and germs will enter.

viridis and kratom cuttings, will still strike, even if they get a bit shrivelled up leaves...

Thanks! That is very informative.

There are several varieties of plants I am rooting now....mostly the mitragyna speciosa,

As seen in the pix in my post on propagating tropical trees, mitragyna in ethnobotany forum...

But also Ma Huang, (from seed)

And Psychotria poeppigiana...which I FINALLY got cuttings for....now if I can just find Psychotria Colorata...

http://www.google.com/search?q=psychotria%20poeppigiana&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Edited by shonman

Inho at kiwi has colorata. Pretty sure poeppigiana grows wild around here. :)

Oh yeah the colorata seeds are in stock right now so get in quick ;)

I sprayed my cuttings down with a dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide,

And did that as well as dip in bleach, clean everything,....In the very beginning.

Yet, there is a very small section where a leaf turned a bit brown,

With the traces of fungi beginning to grow.....

How can I save this cutting, and its brothers/sisters ?

I have grown hundreds of these so far, lost some, but the majority made it through ok....

Recently I had to move and am set up indoors with...yuck....carpeting.

In a cold climate.

A fungus dream setting.

Any suggestions?

I have started using sterile tech.

Have considered taking it possibly too far.......

As in, autoclave each jar with the rooting medium,

Transfer in sterile box, sterilize cuttings, and just grow out the cutting inside the jar....

In the past I did none of those things, but this new setting seems to promote fungus.

I lost twenty cuttings Recenty when I saw the wispy white hairs just starting to grow on them.

I grew them out.

Was that a mistake? Is there a way to save cuttings with fungus on them?

Thanks!

Edited by shonman

Numerous fungicides exist, I don't like using them but sometimes a mans got to do what a mans got to do!

Its handy to keep a jar of Mancozeb on the shelf for when the tough times call and I want to give out the biff!

Organic methods exist but only go so far and many are like tits on a bull.

Mancozeb I regard as the multipurpose fungicide and its not to nasty.

Without a photo of the problem its harder to suggest something more specific mate because most other fungicides target specific fungal problems.

Good luck digger!

Edited by TrailBlazer

Thanks all!

I will get some of that fungicide, Trailblazer!

The mancozeb does seem like it would be effective.....but also has some toxic to human properties....

I wonder if this one would work........like you said, some organic ones don't....

http://www.enviroselects.com/Mancozeb-Fungicide-Alternative_ep_56-1.html

If it's for doing cuttings then it will be a long bloody time before humans get to consume them mate. By that time it would be long gone hey.

I would be more concerned if it was for veges and fruits etc.

Can't comment on any others but many make claims but in the real world most don't live up to the expectations!

I don't use the stuff unless its a last resort, Better than losing a prize plant or something you can't replace!

Another one to chew on is spider mites, Lots of organic oils n shit claim to control them and they might in very small numbers but personal exp shows they are minimally effective.

Bust out the big guns like kelthane as a last resort and their ass is grass and they are gone, for good!

I try to keep my plants as organic as possible big fella but sometimes I have to venture to the dark side.

I do rate neem oil but again it depends on the problem mate, Its like asking how long a piece of string is!

If this is about your tissue culture shit then you might have to get used to using the big guns hey.

Darklight seems to know lots so she might help you more.

Cheers

• Like 1

I will take greater precautions in preventing them in the beginning,

But will get the hard stuff in case fungi do appear...

I know what you mean about apider mites, so many claims out there,.....