The Corroboree

The Myrt has been bapped and the propagation has started! (thankful it had one incy wincy tiny areole) I just hope it doesn't revert as my minima loph crest has been reverting with all the propagating :(

post-12907-0-60157100-1406637766_thumb.j

Would a pach crest pup a crest? any crest owners out there that have pupped trich crests?

I know TBMC pups don't revert... but TBMC's are a massive melty inermis mess so I'm not 100% sure

post-12907-0-60157100-1406637766_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-60157100-1406637766_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've a crested trich that continuously grows crested offsets, several of which have been a growing tip with 3 crested ridges

TPMXN1 pup crested pups, even the non crested monstrose ones do that.

• Like 1

my super x j3 crests throw crested pups

i have couple of pach crests that are just starting to pup so to hard to tell at the moment if they will crest or revert

I've seen tbmc revert to tbm's. But not to normal growth. The only crest I have owned long enough to comment on is the standard Peru crest in Australia and it arrived with a root pup coming from the roots. And it is a three way crest as opposed to the normal flat crest. So seems to be a very stable crest. A few of my seedling crest grafts reverted to columnar growth, semi monstrose and some back again to crest or monstrose. My chemsha crest I have taken three grafts off. First two were columnar pups. Not reverted growth. And both have grown quite large and not reverted. And showing zero signs of mutations. The other I took from an already crested section. But it is too cold now and has not grown a lot to comment.

Peace

Hmmm I find some of the previous replies a bit confusing....

Of course pachanoi crests can and will pup monstrosa/crest pups... both of my strains which I had plenty of experience do it...

the crest/monster (kada) goes column from time to time and then the column goes normal for a while then reverts to monster, then reverts to normal and so on... at some time a monstrosa column might go crest. One can maintain certain shapes and try to create more of the same pheno by cutting a lot at different stages. I managed to create several solitary column monsters this way.

But even the crest (euro) does pup and the pups sometimes go columnarish for a while. But this strain never reverts to normal, even temporarily.

this is the crest (euro) currently starting what seems like columnarish growth.. they will soon revert to crest... there's a pup there somewhere...

P1120265.jpg

Sabry>>

on the myrti monstrosa...

1. this strain will create more areoles at the tip as its growing... you baping might cause it to slow down the growth at the tip for making pups at the areole. I have never used bap and dont fancy doing it soon.

2. this strain does not revert as far as I know, it only reverts for a while when its grafted.. when grafted a pup grows more or less normally, adding or reducing a rib or two... there might be evidence of irregularity, but it will grow pretty much straight... then it will pup 2-3 pups near the top of the graft and so you will have 4 tips growing now.. when its big enough, you cut and root the larger branches, and after it roots, it will eventually start adding ribs and become the melty monstrosa myrti its supposed to become, like this one has started to become..

P1120267.jpg

naja naja>>

"I've seen tbmc revert to tbm's."

pics or it never happened :P

PS: now that's what I call rotting shit with style (god damn caespitosas tears and slices and all, over head watering and overwatering seems to have done this)

P1120266.jpg

Edited by mutant
  • Like 4

Thanks heaps mutant! And a moment of silence for all rotting cacti out there :'(

I too don't like using BAP, especially on my beautiful freaks, but there's a lot of what I have that either doesn't exist or is very very scarce here in Aus and I'm planning to spread the freaky genes all around, which sadly means I need to slice dice and fuck with my babies!

But all in the name of SCIENCE... actually.... in the name of CACTI!!!!

Edited by Sabry
  • Like 2

naja naja>>

"I've seen tbmc revert to tbm's."

pics or it never happened :P

I've had this happen quite a bit. I actually cut one of the reverts off and rooted it. It's growing on it's own roots now. I'm super stoked to see what happens with it. I'll post pics when I get home from work. (Yeah, I fuck around on forums at work.)

• Like 2

I'll post pics when I get home from work. (Yeah, I fuck around on forums at work.)

Shhhh... me too. Right now in fact...

• Like 1

"I've had this happen quite a bit. I actually cut one of the reverts off and rooted it."

yeah?? and it turned to a penis?? :P lol

• Like 1

I have this TBMC, had a large side section that I removed before I gave it to my dad. It started showing new growth recently and put on a new crested section as well as a regular TBM pup it seems. Excited to see what it will do in the future. Thought about cutting it off but will leave it for now :)

post-13244-0-29739900-1406836702_thumb.j

post-13244-0-29739900-1406836702_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-29739900-1406836702_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

come on , the TBMC does this... is there anyone who believes if you cut this and root it it will go on as a TBM?

I have such a 'penis' on graft now, no areoles... we'll see how penis it is :P

• Like 1

wow !!! now that's what I call a "paid answer" (dont know if it translates well into ozzie)

this photo is something else... but hey what the fuck i happening in this photo? there are more than one plants in this photo ? or just one?

but hey there are signs of variegation in some shit... and I swear I can see something that looks like a selinicereus there... could this also be a long =type A= TBM sausage from the same TBMC ?

man got to love those monsters

well naja naja, I give you that , there seems to be a perfect penis formed from this seeminly ancient mother of all TBMCs

(but would this penis grow penis if cut root and grown? I seriously doubt it..

and now

there they are

thats why they these 2 are the most existing monsters of columnar species IMO

TBMC and Eulychnia spiralis/crest/a.o

they do all these different formations from the same clone, wow!!!

I am all ears to hear more freeks like this... showing 3-4 different distinct kinds of monster growth...

I have hoped to talk about monster phenotype for long...

And I think you US guys that "lead the scene", in a way, have to clear the whole thing about the pachanoi crests available around...

And of course our most beloved non-expert, MS SMith could give his always interesting (now vital) point of view on the photo

peace

grow on and stay true

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awesome specimen Ohlone, seems like it is spinier than the one I am familiar with and perhaps another phenotype.

Seems a bit similar to the strain I call kada , probably what has been going around as "short spine peruvianus monstrosa" even though it seems to be pachanoi...

re:>>> does pachanoi crests pup?

I said yeah they do, and I took some shots. I noticed they tend to pup more in the areas some cutting has been taken, or pup even more if mupliple cuttings have been taken in the past from the area. But a crest can pup by itself ...

I also noticed that the crest, more likely if its again cut, it can proceed to grow column like growth from a previous cresty site (not pupping, just turning columner for a bit)

these are all the same clone:

P1120310.jpg P1120311.jpg P1120312.jpg P1120313.jpg

in the 4rth pic the pup started columnarish but it soon turnt crest.

2nd pic you can also see what I consider spidermite damage , do you people agree?

I think I also got how this happened... them plants were too near a jasmine, god damn jasmines, smell awesomely , but what a mite-cultivator!!

re:>>>>>

myrti melty monstrosa pic

I said previously that grafting is a nice way to propagate this... as soon as they are 18-22 cm you can cut and root on their own to create nice new specimens. example

P1120304.jpg

the point where a cutting was taken is visible, as well as the fact that it keeps pupping from near the tip... this is a graft on normal myrtillocactus geometrizans.. perhaps my only grafts on myrtis that did so well - well the compatibility is excellent it seems!

RE:>>>> TBMC (the infamous and relatively rare bridgesii melty crest ) : does it turn to TBM , does it do penis plant structures?

P1120315.jpg P1120316.jpg P1120318.jpg P1120320.jpg

I managed to acquire this clone this year, and so I dont have much experience, but I think it does penis like structures, but unlike the real penis, it seems to create areoles when these penis areas grow or are grafted... they also seem to be able to go cresty, and again, so areoles along the crest and continue from there...

it does seems like plant that would grow in a very awkward and random shape if left to grow for years without cutting

re:>>>>>

other exciting mosnters that do many shapes

I bought two eulychnia spiralis/crest this year

the first specimen I got had 2 spiralis columns (one got beheaded in some crisis) and seemed to do something in the base.

the second one was a crest and has since created 3 different points of growth, 2 crests and one normal monstrosa

(note this strain does all 4 shapes: normal monstrosa, crest, spiralis, and the non-spiralis column)

so it turnt out the base thing in the first specimen was normal monstrosa growth as well. but there came a pup (where the beheaded spiralis column was) which was cut and grafted x2 when big enough...

this pup (the tip) seems to do the non-spiralis column now... discoidal or disc-form they call it...

anyways thats it - grafting sure seems to have speeded up its rather slow growth rate:

~3 new discs formed since grafting

P1120325.jpg

Edited by mutant
  • Like 5

From the discussions ms and I have had, he said something along the lines of. If u don't cut off the dicks. More dicks keep growing. Pruning the penises is how u keep the crested growth occurring. But I'm sure ms can help in this area.

• Like 1

this seems to be the case with most of them i think naja

like any cactus when it pups it tends to put most of its growth into the pup so chopping off straight arms allows it put that growth back into the crest itself

Here is the first little freak to show up from some seeds nitrogen was nice enough to send me. If you see this, thanks again buddy

post-12747-0-14022900-1407716497_thumb.j

post-12747-0-35525900-1407716512_thumb.j

post-12747-0-14022900-1407716497_thumb.jpg

post-12747-0-35525900-1407716512_thumb.jpg

post-12747-0-14022900-1407716497_thumb.jpg

post-12747-0-35525900-1407716512_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

thought i'd post an update on this freaky character so amazing to watch this guy grow so unpredictable :)

pretty shitty pics was in a bit of a rush

DSC_6405_zpsf0ad0b92.jpg

DSC_6407_zps6bd3c64d.jpg

DSC_6410_zps7fbff7d2.jpg

DSC_6408_zps227f7fb8.jpg

DSC_6409_zpsad27a812.jpg

and a few super x j3 crests

DSC_6433_zps27074cd3.jpg

• Like 11

Just some small grafts (they're so cute and small)

Aztekium reterii monstruosa I believe this to be Ferocactus macrodiscus now

post-12907-0-62940900-1409618646_thumb.j

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/FEROCACTUS/Ferocactus_macrodiscus/Ferocactus_macrodiscus_mostruosus/Ferocactus_macrodiscus_mostruosa_cristata.htm

Astrophytum asterias cristata Not sure what it is, but discussions has lead to it being something like Rebutia

post-12907-0-59306200-1409618679_thumb.j

(possibly http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/REBUTIA/Rebutia_krainziana/Rebutia_krainziana_inermis_cristata/Rebutia_krainziana_inermis_cristata.htm)

Leuchtenbergia principis monstruosa

post-12907-0-40284000-1409618620_thumb.j

and then there's this big baby :)

post-12907-0-23945900-1409618951_thumb.j

fricii cristata

sorry about the rotation, they were the right way up but went off to the side after i uploaded!

post-12907-0-40284000-1409618620_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-62940900-1409618646_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-59306200-1409618679_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-23945900-1409618951_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-40284000-1409618620_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-62940900-1409618646_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-59306200-1409618679_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-23945900-1409618951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sabry
  • Like 12

your a very lucky man sabry

beautiful plants mate :)

I've got a tbm type pup off Michael S. Smith's tbmc. I'm pretty sure it's pupped by now. Someone remind me if I forget to upload a pic.

• Like 1

Ok, here it is. Two pups, and it looks like one just might be starting to crest again.

post-12335-0-38186500-1410539396_thumb.j

post-12335-0-38186500-1410539396_thumb.jpg

post-12335-0-38186500-1410539396_thumb.jpg

• Like 3