The Corroboree
LikeAshesWeFade

Rare China Rainbow Rose

Hey guys just ordered 100+ of these amazing looking rose seeds. Do you think it's possible for a rose to produce such an absolutely beautiful flower??

Check it out! -

post-8096-0-97127400-1363830993_thumb.jp

post-8096-0-97127400-1363830993_thumb.jpg

post-8096-0-97127400-1363830993_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

holy shit, thats amazing :lol:

Where did you get the seeds from?

From Wikipedia:

The rainbow rose is a rose which has had its petals artificially colored. The method exploits the rose's natural processes by which water is drawn up the stem. By splitting the stem and dipping each part in different colored water, the colors are drawn into the petals resulting in a multicolored rose.With these changes to the rose, it causes them to not live as long as an uncolored rose.[1][2] Besides roses, other cut flowers like the chrysanthemum, carnation, hydrangea and some species of orchids can also be colored using the same method :)

• Like 6

I was going to say you can buy them in the photoshop...

Looks photoshopped if not ......Wow.

The method exploits the rose's natural processes by which water is drawn up the stem. By splitting the stem and dipping each part in different colored water, the colors are drawn into the petals resulting in a multicolored rose

I remember doing this experiment in school . We used a white carnation and split the stem half way up, and put each half in a different colored water (food dye). We ended up with a half blue and half red flower. As kids we thought it was pretty neat hey.

So does that mean the seeds are just standard white flowers, and no rainbow fun until you slice em up and feed em up on food colouring.

They shouldnt market them like that without explaining.

I do wonder how they got so many different colours in one rose, they are even look like they alternating in a set pattern.

• Like 1

Does that mean if one were to say feed Gardenias food colouring with every water, they might produce coloured flowers?

I might try this on a Tabernaemontana I have flowering in a pot...

Im sad to admit but my missus made me buy a packet of these! i planted a few but nothing happened, I would have been happy with any rose that pops up saves me having to buy them. If anyone wants any i still have a few left, might be interesting to see what they actually are.

did your mother send you to ebay to sell a cow, and you came back with these seeds?

• Like 6

edit :blush:

Edited by tipz

I was under the impression roses were quite difficult to grow from seed? If there germinate I was under the impression that don't grow well if at all? I have thrown out heaps of hips because of these beliefs, so I hope I was right :BANGHEAD2:. That's why I thought the rose plants you buy are always grafted.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, good luck with these ones.

Cheers

jox

• Like 1

I will be taking some cuttings from my mums rose as i have also heard that. From what I have read there is quite a process to get them to pop, including bleaching the seeds?

• Like 1

cold stratification does the trick getting seeds to pop, takes a while though in the fridge - up to 4 months.

• Like 1

Funny, i always thought that roses would be the last plant i'd see being discussed here

- how wholesome :)

Roses take from cuttings very easily. When my partner was working in the roses at the botanical gardens i picked a few i liked and took some 10-15cm sections, stuck them in a bucket of riversand outside where they got the odd sprinkling of rain, and hey presto a couple months later i've got rooted little rose plants to give grandma for her birthday.

If you could get a girlfriend hooked on tricho flowers instead of roses, she wouldnt mind only getting flowers once a year :P

The hard part would be explaining that the flowers (although a symbol of your love for her) must stay on the cactus so you can create some seed .. ''babe, if we leave the flower there we will be blessed with hundreds of little green cacti-children''

• Like 6

Flowers represent beauty and impermanence.

Cutting flowers represents the folly of man hastening impermanence (like people screwing up leading to a breakup)

Leaving flowers on represents dignified maturation and natural demise (like couples growing old together and in their season dieing)

There ya go, an excuse to leave the tricho flowers on :P

As for rare rainbow rose, one rule to follow on ebay is that even pocket lint and sand are considered rare :wink:

...that, and inexpensive seed from china have low viability.

• Like 3

I think many roses are grafted for the same reasons cacti are, which is a bigger plant faster. Also most roses are hybrids which have a tendency to be weaker in many ways (susceptibility to rot, diseases, etc.). By grafting to hardier "wild" rootstocks many of these weaknesses can be over come.

Read the whole thread so I could say... Roses do not possess the genes for blue (so-called blue roses are actually purple-ish), so the only roses with blue in them are genetically-modified ones. Which I doubt, are allowed to enter our countries.

There is a "Rainbow Eucalypt" tree which has similar colouration in the wood.  It is native to Indonesia, New Guinea and some other areas.  It is knowledge of the existence of this tree that makes me consider the photo as true - especially because it appears that each petal is one colour.  However, I have seen similar in person and in my opinion, the one I saw was dyed, as evident via fading in & out as the dye concentration changed - giving the appearance of water colour paint.  I have also been given one by someone who was told (was sold) a "very special and hard to source multi-coloured rose" = he was played in my opinion.