The Corroboree
planthelper

enjoying alc, in non addictive doses, how?

I wonder how much alcohol one can consume without, ever experiencing alcohol cravings or withdrawls?

I stopped drinking for sometimes up to 7 or more years, but alcohol is the only medication, I feel save with, regarding all my disorders.

the side effects, and the effects of all prescription drugs I tried, stop me from ever going down this route again...

I want sometime though a break from all the suffering, and alc does that for me.

I could never have just a few drinks, like 3 can's of full strength,

or to just drink once a week...

my question, if I have 7 full strength beers one day, and than two day's without a drink, will I develop withdrawls or cravings over time??

i'm on this regime, since my last alc break, which was for 6 months or close to.

but had only 3 drinking day's so far, and I don't want to get hooked on alc again....

Edited by planthelper

I'd say cravings are likely. I mostly only drink on the weekends and I certainly look forward to that. I've never been 'hooked' which I imagine could turn looking forward into cravings.

hey planthelper how are you?

i drink a couple of glasses of wine a night with dinner . i think its normal ?

do i crave it maybe! but it winds me down after a big day. i quit pot 10 years ago because it was becoming an hour by hour problem :wacko:

cheers miko

Edited by miko

Hi Planthelper, well it depends if you do that regularly. Im pretty sure you would have to expect cravings if you follow that drinking schedule regularly. The Question is, can you live your life like this without falling back into the old habit?. There are people who are definately alcoholics because they drink regularly but their drinking schedule allows them to live a relatively normal life, you know? I dont know how much you can drink without losing it and drink large amounts of alc on a daily basis. Some people only drink on the weekends. They dont drink during the week but drink excessively on weekends. Cravings are not so bad like when you drink daily but its definately some form of alcoholism and if they miss a weekends drinking session, they suffer from psychic cravings. Personally, i think a drinking schedule like this would be extremely dangerous. There recently was a TV Experiment with a german Journalist who drank one month on a regular basis and after three weeks, he was hooked and had to stop the experiment because he suffered from an Anal Thrombosis. Took him half a year to get back to normal. That having said, i know that many Alcoholics are able to keep their life together...they drink, regularly but only in Amounts that allows them to live a normal life. But like i said, its dangerous and it depends on how much self control you have. bye Eg

I drank half a bottle of wine every night for several years and had no problem stopping. I rarely drink much at all nowadays. I guess it depends, everyone is different. My older brother is an alcoholic, but I didn't enjoy it as much as him. Cigarettes though, I fucking love them and I'm chronic. Stopped with tremendous difficulty twice for years, and then back on them so easily. You might be like that with alcohol?

sounds like to you want to turn to alcohol to distract you from your problems?

trust me, thats not a good solution.

as far as withdrawals go, i think you need to be a fairly serious drinker to experience actual withdrawals. and i suppose addiction has many causes and maybe amount of alcohol may only be one of them. i sounds as though you've had a problem with it in the past? i don't think anyone would recommend going down that route again. better to try and deal with your problems sober, cos when you wake up they'll still be there.

I tend to agree with Qualia, but sometimes you really need help to deal with stuff sober. It sounds to me like the other meds don't work, which sounds like you have some issues you might need to deal with. Ever tried counselling? I always poo-pood that, thinking I was smart enough and tough enough to beat any problem by itself, but sometimes just talking safely with someone who doesn't really give a shit but still cares enough to be there to listen, really helps you to sort your shit out. Even if you don't actually talk about what's really bothering you, which I didn't. Combined with the right kind of meds, you can move on much quicker than ever I thought possible.

• Like 2

i have a few every nite!!! i work fuken hard and love having a beer to chill but not to get drunk . i leave that 4 tha weekend hahah

everyones different <> smoking , meds, drinking, praying, jogging , every1 has a habbit.

when is too many plants r too many?!?!?!!! jokes

Edited by bullit

One is too many and a hundred is not enough..

If you are alcoholic then having one will kick in the craving baby! Trying control drinking is a good way to work out if you are in fact alcoholic... try to only have max two standard drinks a day with two alc' free days a week - see if you can do that for a year with no exceptions... id reckon you arent alcoholic if you can pull that off.

Im an alcoholic. I dont drink anymore. No way I could do the above. I drank cause it made me feel better to begin with... then I drank cause I had to... I had lost the power of choice over that!

Alcohol withdrawal is very serious shit and it is suggested that if you have been drinking regularly then a supervised and probably medicated withdrawal is the way to go. Seizures are not funny and can be life threatening.

There are no physical rules PH, you know this... you're just getting us to confirm it for you :)

The most important part of any addiction is psychology.

I generaly have a very good influence on peoples addictions, many people told me they overcame there addiction, after being influenced by me.

yes, I had lot's of counceling, but hardly ever these day's I learn something new.

I think na, is a cult, and I don't agree with there teachings, but sure, they help a lot of people.

I want to disproof, "one is too many, and a thousands never enough", because aa teaches that the alcoholic is powerless, and this is very bad.

god if you believe in her, will not get involved, into your addiction, one has to help oneself, this makes you strong, and gives you the believe to, be able to do it.

if possible, I make all my friends stop there addictions, and my best friends are greatfull to me because, I helped them to not smoke ciggies.

the only thing, that helps me, is to help others!

I could be suffering tremendously, but if somebody needs my help, my own problems get pushed in the backround.

I never had much problems with alc, (but i'm an alcoholic, AND PROUD OF IT :))my problem was the lung condition, caused by smoking pot, and working in a dusty environment.

tomorrow is beer day again for me, only time will tell, if my new regime will be a success!

• Like 2

The way I see it planthelper, is that if we can control other urges for pleasure ( I'm thinking specifically sexual urges ) then we can control others. It's not very easy to give up sex completely of course, but as long as you have some release periodically maybe that's the key? If you know you can have a drink or two at the weekend, you can think about that and less it will control you, as an example. I mIght try that with cigarettes, an old friend of mine used to smoke most weekends but extremely rarely during the week - for years.

the only thing, that helps me, is to help others!

I could be suffering tremendously, but if somebody needs my help, my own problems get pushed in the backround.

Be careful with this, although i'm sure you have been able to see the downside of it by now, if it has been a life long habit.

Helping people when you feel like you have the energy and the will to help is appropriate, but when people come to you and expect your help becuase you have always given it to them, they are relying on you too much to fix their problems for them.

I am a chronic 'helper' or 'mothering type' and for a long long time (even in my very early childhood) i was under the impression that it was my responsibility to help others because i could.

Now i'm beginning to see that this aint true, or even that helpful to the ones you are 'helping'.. it feels nice to be a helpful person, but often you are taking on much more than you should, and expending energy that should be better spent working on your own problems.

Showing people how to do things, takes away their drive to learn for themselves.

Good luck with the new regime, the main point here is will-power. its up to you to control your mind, no one else can do that for you :)

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 3

The way I see it planthelper, is that if we can control other urges for pleasure ( I'm thinking specifically sexual urges ) then we can control others. It's not very easy to give up sex completely of course, but as long as you have some release periodically maybe that's the key?

I agree and practise this concept.

my only urge (to be with them), or weakness are plants.

Be careful with this, although i'm sure you have been able to see the downside of it by now, if it has been a life long habit.

Helping people when you feel like you have the energy and the will to help is appropriate, but when people come to you and expect your help becuase you have always given it to them, they are relying on you too much to fix their problems for them.

I am a chronic 'helper' or 'mothering type' and for a long long time (even in my very early childhood) i was under the impression that it was my responsibility to help others because i could.

Now i'm beginning to see that this aint true, or even that helpful to the ones you are 'helping'.. it feels nice to be a helpful person, but often you are taking on much more than you should, and expending energy that should be better spent working on your own problems.

Showing people how to do things, takes away their drive to learn for themselves.

Good luck with the new regime, the main point here is will-power. its up to you to control your mind, no one else can do that for you :)

as you said, I fully aware of this, and just a week ago, I spoke with a mate in the pub about this.

he once took a canoo ride with a girl and she drowned, and he could not swim.

50 years later he meets a woman which looks just like, the deseased, and he starts giving her money and fixes everything for free, for her.

sure sometimes i still help too much, but mostly these day's, it's a fair exchange.

i can go and ask for a car, a lot of people in my town for example, and i always make sure, the benefit aswell in some way or the other.

Planthelper, what about kava ?

• Like 1

I have to add, conscience pricking me, that it's a risky business playing with addiction, after all if you have already been addicted you know it can happen to you. On the plus side you know the signs and you have already managed to quit once.

But it's not a simple thing and I would take extreme caution and try to put control measures in place wherever possible.

Choosing not to do something is still a choice!

• Like 1

Depends what your using it for. I use it sometimes early on in an autoimmune attack and it can abort it sometimes. No idea why.

I have a pretty good tolerance to alcohol but my wife thinks im an annoying drunk so I dont do it much now days if ever. I like the occasional beer on a summer night though but thats it.

best way to be put off drinking is an absolute blinder. it puts me off for six months easily.

• Like 1

update!

I got traumatised a few months ago (actually a convolute of different traumas) and spent a couple of months drinking everyday (7 cans a day + some pot) but stopped again around 10 weeks ago!

the last 3 weeks I allowed myself to drink and smoke just on Saturdays...

but gee, can I drink a lot if it's only rarely, fuuuuuck...

tomorrow is Saturday, oh yeah. :wub: a whole day without mental and physical pain. :)

I open the 1st beer at 10am or maybe a bit later...

i'll be doing some light work in the garden, with lot's of beer breaks, than visit friends (swap water chestnuts for lillys), than it's back home again and disco, disco, disco.

I think the once a week is a good balance.

• Like 1

best way to be put off drinking is an absolute blinder. it puts me off for six months easily.

6 days isnt it?? thank fuk its friday :devil:

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

alcohol isn't a bad thing, in or of itself.

it's just the way it's consumed by humans which makes it destructive.

if you can consume alcohol and still achieve the things you want in life**, then by all means drink up.

if not, then don't.

**and thats the things you want, not what those shit heads in"society" tell you you should be "achieving" :crux:

• Like 2

All I know if alcohol fucks with just about everypart of your body. It gets converted into ectylalcohol or something like that, which is so bad for your body. Obviously you're asking about small amounts so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Long term alcohol use ruins you

does it? what does "ruin" mean?

that's the thing about life, no one gets out alive.

• Like 3