The Corroboree
tizocAu

I need I d please.

Question

Hi I got this cacti that has sick. Im showing pictures of whTs left of the cacti. I se similarities to what is shown matucana or huca. Please take a look and comment. The matucana dont have pronounced v shape indentations like this one.

20130224_130325.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like I did a double post. Could some one help me and delete the other one. Thanks you.

Pretty sure thats an atypical Stetsonia Coryne. Or what do you think Guys? It should have much bigger spines but it probably didnt get enough Light or Nutrients or both.bye Eg

• Like 1

I think its a tricho hybrid gone wild... doesn't look like Stetsonia to me... smaller aeroles than Stets, Lighter green and stetsonia tend to have spines that are more srawled out or radial

I would love to see what the rest of the community has to say since everwere I post this cacti I get different reaction to what it is. Just a note it was labeled pachanoi. So idk. I looked at the species you suggested and that one didnt have the notches v shapeabove areola. I have never seen pachanoi that looked like this thats why I wanted different opinions. Thank you

Thanks and nice to meet you guys. This is my first post but have been lurking for some time. I have gotten very curious bout the subject and wanted. To see more bout the pachanoi fiasco make me think as to why this was labled as pachanoi since it looks nothing likecpc pachanoi. Maybe s true pachanoiI hybrid?

Hi tizoc, glad you like the forum. I am actually pretty sure its a Stetsonia Coryne. Stetsonia Coryne does have V Notches btw. Its just a very variable cactus. I encluded a pic of one that has some more distinct V Notches.

Stetsonia%20coryne%20VG-664.jpg

It definately is not a Pachanoi and or Trichocereus in general. bye Eg

The only cactus that is somewhat similar is Cereus Repandus but i need better pics before i can say more. What i can say for sure is that this is definately not a Trichocereus.

20130224_130248.jpg in the one I have it has no more than 4 spines. And the spines are yeloowish. With red tips

20130224_130337.jpg

On the areoles in the ones you suggested has more than 4 spines or glochs ill take up close pics

Well number of spines is not really a reliable tool to ID a cactus. Problem with this one is that it actually is one of the sickest and malnutritioned cacti i have ever seen and i dont mean that insulting in any way. If you dont change growing conditions fast, it might not live another year. Spines definately dont look like they would on a normal specimen. Like i said, the only alternative might be Cereus Repandus. If you have a lot of time, you can make a pic from the upper new growth and the spines but i guess i cannot tell you anything more then either. I know it does not look like a typical Stetsonia Coryne but thats actually the best guess i have besides Cereus Repandus. I am extremely sure that it is not a Trichocereus and i would really be interested to hear what else it should be. If anyone has an Idea, im certainly open to suggestions but i´ve just double checked all the other cacti that are. bye Eg

Well I picked this up from the nursery and and I got it at a good price. It was labeled pachanoi. I cut out all the rot. Thanks for your opinion. Iam aware of its condition and if I would've left it like that it wouldve died. I saved the top part and stump. Thank you

Nice it is could be a tricho of the Tpachanoi flavour from the photos. Put him in a big pot or in the ground and feed him Seymour with lots of nitogen.

• Like 1

Looks like the typical monstrose T. pachanoi to me. The plant appears to grow normal at times, switch to monstrose, and can even form a crest.

4799536912_5cecceb428_o.jpg

~Michael~

• Like 2

looks very much like Nirtogens TPM

aren't the spines a little big for it to be a pach?

my partner has one extremely similar which has the same spination, some shorter spines some longer, alot longer than any pachanoi.

i don't wanna disagree with cactus king EG lol but i'm inclined to think definately trichocereus, possibly peru.

sorry i dont have any pics of my partners plant but it looks pretty much exactly the same (minus the rot lol and a bit greener)

It was a trichocereus crest which reverted to normal growth and morphed into two heads.

• Like 1

I have herd that the variations in spine lengths in t pachanoi is quite normal for the non pc clone. All t he pc clones I have seen have rather short spines of a clear white color. Thank you all for your input. I appreciate all I the comments.

Hi Guys, i still dont think that this is a Trichocereus. Especially because of the Angle that the spines point away from the Areoles. Maybe im wrong, maybe i´m right...i dont really care as the plant looks nothing like a healthy plant would look so i guess its better i will not comment on it anymore until Tizoc has nursed it back to health. If looks like a Trichocereus in a few months, im happy to say so but for now, some things dont fit for me though it definately has similarities to a Monstrose Trichocereus. bye Eg

• Like 3

my partner has one extremely similar which has the same spination, some shorter spines some longer, alot longer than any pachanoi.

i don't wanna disagree with cactus king EG lol but i'm inclined to think definately trichocereus, possibly peru.

sorry i dont have any pics of my partners plant but it looks pretty much exactly the same (minus the rot lol and a bit greener)

It was a trichocereus crest which reverted to normal growth and morphed into two heads.

ill be very interested in seeing your partners cacti. I know its a monstrose now thanks everyone here. Im sure ur par5ner would bring closure to this id.

Will get a pic for you ASAP, hopefully in the weekend.

Thanks. Im going to have fun seeing this one come back to life. First thing first is rooting the heads. And hopefully get a pup or 3 from stump..its for sure

Edited by tizoc4u

Hey guys sorry to just thow myself in but I got this one brought to me by a friend who got it from a relo that collects, but I dont know exactly what it is and my friend just got told to remember victoria and cereus?? Please help!!

Btw very nice pic above could you please pm me if a pup is available of the monstrose. :)

post-12595-0-38097000-1363758555_thumb.j

post-12595-0-38097000-1363758555_thumb.jpg

post-12595-0-38097000-1363758555_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good luck getting your plant healthy mate.

@Weazelloph, that looks a bit like Polaskia chichipe.

Cheers

jox

• Like 2