The Corroboree
endorfinder

Name the plant, get the seed

Hey guys I harvested seed from this magnificent fellow today, I'd say I have about 50 to spare.

TvRuPS2.jpg

I'm told the colouring of the leaves and variegation is unpredictable and that a wide variety of phenotypes can result from the seed. Quite a rare one from what I can gather, and personally one of my favourite ornamentals.

First person to name the species gets 20 seeds. Once I confirm somebody has correctly guessed, the next 5 posters will get 6 seeds each. If nobody gets it by Tuesday night I'll change the rules!

(I've let the seeds dry out partially but will bag them up in the morning since I think freshness is a factor in viability, so be prepared to get them in dirt quick!)

godspeed y'all B) -ef

• Like 2

Im going with butterfly plant ,just on appearance

Common names are many and varied for this plant, gonna need a Latin genus & species. :)

Batwing coral tree I believe

Why You :ana::wink:

I know next to nothing about plants so i dont know exactly but have mercy :crux:

Oxalis triangularis,Oxalis regnellii atropurpurea -

Genus :Oxalidaceae

or its subspecies"O. triangularis subsp. papilionacea

Forgive me if thats two many guesses. :bootyshake: :wink:

Edited by mrp11

mrp11 no... but I now want that plant. will shoot you some seeds tomorrow, was a good guess. :)

Fabacea

Christia obcordata

And JaceJames (and almost whitewind) got it - 'tis Christia vespertilionis :)

OK both you guys get some seed, pm your address JJ!

Now I'm looking for an English translation of the latin name. 2 more seed packs to go out :)

well done!! -ef

Edited by endorfinder

lol i was going to say it looked like oxalis trangularis - i knew i wasnt though, coz i have one and it doesnt look like that. endor I can give you some of the oxalis next time i see you. It has little pink/orange tubers that look like little grubs lol

Very cool looking plant.

It looks remarkably similar to a passiflora species i saw on Attenborough's Kingdom of Plants on tv the other night.

He was talking about plant/insect symbiosis, a few species of passiflora was the favourite place for butterflies to lay their eggs, one sp. responded to this problem by evolving to have small yellow dots on the leaves to trick the butterflies into thinking there was already too many eggs laid there, and another species developed butterfly-like leaves the same as your plant which flutter in the wind and make the butterflies think the area is far too crowed to lay eggs near.

Oh what a beautiful coloured Christia.

Does anyone have any spare seeds or know where I could find them? Cheers,

Aden