The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Groovy movie Blue Lagoon has very sad ending we don't get to see

I just realised that the 'groovy movie' Blue Lagoon has a really horribly sad ending that we don't actually get to see ratehr than the up beat rescue finale that is shown. Towards the end when they are adrift at sea they both eat some 'sleep berries' that they know will put them to sleep and they won't wake up [as we're told by the old cook earlier in the movie]. They do this after their baby had eaten some while the parents didn't pay attention. The search boat then finally finds them and after first fearing they were dead they are quite happy about the fact that they are in fact only sleeping. The problem is that the 'sleep berries' are actually the hard seeds of Abrus precatorius, which contains possibly the most toxic natural substance known. There is no antidote. At the dosage shown the death is slow and caused by nerve tissue degeneration. They would be looking at days [if not weeks] of agony before a major organ fails to relieve them of their suffering. if you're not familiar with Abrin, then maybe the related spy and terrorist poison ricin will give you a clue of what expects them. So sad.

• Like 1

I just realised that the 'groovy movie' Blue Lagoon has a really horribly sad ending

At the dosage shown the death is slow and caused by nerve tissue degeneration. They would be looking at days [if not weeks] of agony before a major organ fails to relieve them of their suffering.

Is that the Blue Lagoon movie with Brooke Shields?, I remember seeing that years ago, but remember very little of it. I think if i knew i was going to die in a matter of days....in agony, i would put myself out of misery.

(The saddest movie i have ever seen is 'Hachi, A Dogs Tale'. I balled my eyes out. Having a good cry is good to release all those built up emotions hey)

• Like 1

I also barely remember this, night be time to revisit it with a new view.

Blue lagoon lol.

Rabbits of watership down is the saddest/disturbing cartoon ever, I had nightmares about hares for years when I was a kid.

• Like 4

What a twisted idea for the writer of the film to come up with. If you have an inquisitive mind and you use it, you discover the horrible unspoken end, that most people completely miss.

Just goes to show that sometimes you dont want to pay too much attention to detail :(

I saw watership down as a kid too, i was already the sort of kid who had a huge amount of empathy for animals, and seeing that just about tipped me over the edge, i remember feeling very 'anti-humans' for a long time after watching it.

I believe that the source material for Withnail & I at the very end has Withnail suicide with a shotgun. Thankfully that never made it into the film, that would have been too tragic. If you listen to Withnail's theme, the music finishes with a percussive thump just as the music is tapering off which I believe is a reference to the suicide.

I remember another sad Brook Shields film, from my youth - Endless Love, it scores poorly on IMDB (4.4/10) but I saw it while i was in primary school so am in no way endorsing the film, I just remember how tragic and ultimately doomed the love between the protagonists was, they were only 15.

Blue lagoon has been running on TV1 Groovy Movie for the last week or so. I kept catching bits of it and then last night finally the ending. I was already irked by the reference to 'berries' earlier in the movie as they were clearly seeds in a pod, but the ending just made it all so much more poignant.

Watership down was supposed to be a sad movie, so there is no reveleation there. mind you, I was literally traumatised by it. I had had pet rabbits all my childhood and much of my very young years was spent playing around rabbit warrens in germany. I was probably also a bit young to understand the bigger concepts in it so that left me quite confused. I think it was the first movie my sis was allowed to take me to without parental supervision as they thought it was a cute & safe bunny movie but it turned into a disaster.

• Like 2

. The problem is that the 'sleep berries' are actually the hard seeds of Abrus precatorius, which contains possibly the most toxic natural substance known. There is no antidote. At the dosage shown the death is slow and caused by nerve tissue degeneration..

I was thinking... since the movie was made 33 years ago, was it even known how toxic this particular berry is?, like maybe they just chose some random poison berry name to use in the movie.

As i said earlier, i cant remember the movie completely, but i cant imagine there being a hidden ending...., you know, if they were found just sleeping, its a happy ending. (not like those movies that go off on a tangent with alternate endings,lol) I dunno. :)

Edit: I guess what I am saying is I get the feeling the film maker didn't know how fatal the berries were, and it sort of stuffs up the ending of the movie now, because like you say Torsten, they would die in agony in a matter of days.

Edited by Amazonian

I started to read the book Watership down years ago, but i never finished it. lol. I am glad i didnt by the sounds of things. I can remember the cover pretty clearly still though.

Watership Down is utterly amazing - and I would rank it as my favourite novel (tie equal with others). Reading it did something to me that I can't put my finger on - but I would feel amiss without. It's just the best, end of story.

The saddest scene in a movie was in empire strikes back, when the rebels were captured after Lando betrayed them. Han was being lowered into the carbonite, and Leia was being taken away to be a slave. Leia says to Han "i love you", and Han says " i know". it's in this moment, Leia, not knowing if she'll se Han again must tell him of her love for him, which has to this point been concealed in thinly veiled antagonism between the two. Han, who's tough exterior has prevented him from allowing anyone to get close, finally admits that there is someone who can reach his tough heart. Will they see each other again? We don't know. Star crossed lovers who have had a connection from the start are torn away from each other before their love has a chance to flourish. The evil of the empire striking at the very heart of what it means to be human, to find love, to have a connection. So sad.

• Like 2

Wasn't there a 'return to the blue lagoon' sequal? They must have found a antidote. I am just speculating here but I am going to assume it is Psilocybe genus judging by ridiculously tripped out the plot was.

Abrin was known 30 years ago. I presume the director simply didn't do his research. I did not mean to imply that the hidden ending was intentional.

The sequel claims that all 3 survived. That is however not possible given the dosage. It does indicate that the director had no idea though.

watership down is one of my favourite movies. It took a decade or so after the initial viewing for me to appreciate it for what it is. I was a very sheltered 10 years old when I first saw it. Probably a year or two too early for my emotional development status at the time.

• Like 1