The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

acacia id

Question

post-70-0-69503300-1363396516_thumb.jpg

hi!

my memory is never very good, and I thought that this acacia, was an obtusifolia, but it never looked like an obtusi, because the phyllodes are so much more narrow for example.

now it's flowering for the first time and it displayed round flowering balls, and not bottle brushes as hoped...

tarrena, you know which acacia I refer to.

acacia#1.JPG

acacia#1.JPG

Edited by planthelper
obtusi, not opti

5 answers to this question

thx paradox, i might add that I believe this plant was sourced from the famous obtusifolia place, but than again, my memory could be faulty.

does salinga grow @ the waterfall?

Hey PH,

You may recall me expressing great doubts that the tree you showed me was an A. obtusifolia. It did not have any infertile features that indicated to me that is was an obtusifolia. You might also recall that I suggested that it might be an A. saligna. A. saligna now looks to be a good candidate.

Sadly my Hoodia died during the recent wet weather. I was absolutely pumping until the intense wet and humidity killed it. Bummer.

Hope all is good for you

• Like 1

AFAIK saligna flowers generally are a brighter golden yellow color & the clusters tend to be more dense. other than that, from what i can tell from the pic, it seems to fit pretty well. i seem to remember reading somewhere that saligna flowers can also be cream colored like in your pic PH, & density of flowers could be to do with the size & age of plant etc..

I don't remember things well, but I was sure this plant came originaly from the fall, not sure if salinga got introduced there.

my feeling is it's not salinga, because it doesn't have yellow flowers and neither displays mass flowering.

thx for you help. :)