The Corroboree

Question

I found these growing on an old stump out the front ( Autumn ). Did check the forums here for potential ID ( and can't remember whch species I checked for, but there were a few and I ruled them out on the basis of spore print colour )

Are they edible? I won't be eating these ones because the stump they're growing on was repeatedy dosed with herbicide. But would they be otherwise edible if I found them elsewhere?

tn_gallery_12_4_395335.jpgtn_gallery_12_4_60595.jpg

tn_gallery_12_4_135501.jpgtn_gallery_12_4_51496.jpg

Edit: damn those small pics, I resized them too low. I'll resize them later

Edited by Darklight

22 answers to this question

Well out of practice and am a little torn, the small images instantly reminded me of Gymnopilus junonius, but on closer look it just doesn't feel right. They can be really beefy to delicate little things.

i'd look at Gymnopilus, Pholiota or Armilaria.

Edibility of G. junonius is said to be non-edible. Found one liners from, bitter, poisonous, hallucinogenic.

Tryptamines and the likes from memory.

Edited by gerbil

The pics are too small to get a good grip on what these guys are really like, i'd definitely avoid eating though as they look like they might have some galerina-esque features

are they about the size of a lighter and have a chestnut smell

checkout this link will take a while to stroll trough but you will

find it in the end

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35074

Well out of practice and am a little torn, the small images instantly reminded me of Gymnopilus junonius, but on closer look it just doesn't feel right. They can be really beefy to delicate little things.

You're right, some are beefy and some are tiny. I don't think it's Gymnopilus junonius tho, the stem on these is bright orange same as every other part

did they bruise green?

Not that I could see

are they about the size of a lighter and have a chestnut smell

The big ones are slightly larger than a lighter

maybe a collybia sp.

Hmm... maybe. I didn't save those pics once I resized them, I'll have to reload them from the camera and upload them

ah about lighter size, so they are quite tiny, looked like they were big flared 20cm oystereqsue ones at the base but not so.

If pics are too big I can remove them.

gallery_12_4_135501.jpg

gallery_12_4_60595.jpg

gallery_12_4_51496.jpg

gallery_12_4_395335.jpg

Edited by gerbil

Gym A. (i forget the rest) common name is something like Golden honey fungus or simular. Do not eat

(also might be something else :o)

• Like 1

Thanks gerbil, I shoulda thought of that!

The fourth pic are definitely Gymnopilus junonius in my opinion, they spawn in ridiculous quantities on stumps here. Even the dusty rusty spore print is a pretty solid indicator, i've always found if you hold a gym long enough it'll spore all over your hand.

The first two pics don't look a lot like Gymnopilus junonius but that could be just normal variation.

Some of the mushrooms in the second pic look a bit like milky caps, Lactarius deliciosus, which smell like apricots or peaches, some fruity aroma, and they bleed out an orange liquid when squeezed. They're also very edible, quite a gourmet mushroom.

Edited by Distracted

IMO they look too small for G.junonius

no Armillaria either [wrong spore print any wayz]

Collybia, yeah, I am not sure they are clumpers though.

There are some details lacking. Is there a ring on the stem?

ANyways, could this be an edible mushroom? hell yeah!

It can be

Kuehneromyces mutabilis

and it should have a persistent ring on the stem, but I haven't found it or ID'ed it if I did met it, and I dont think I would ever eat a mushroom that so much looks [at last from the photos] like Galerina.

It is supposed to be very tasty!

It could also be a clumping Collybia species, or even something else.

Now that I think about it, it might be some smaller Gymnopilus species....

• Like 1

I dont think theyre saffron milk caps...I just picked a tonne out in Oberon last week and saw quite a few variations in the size and shape but none that really looked like your third photo. They definitely are tasty though!!

The closest i'm getting is Gymnopilus sapineus.

that's an old pine, yeah?

that's an old pine, yeah?

It's an ice cream bean ( Inga edulis )

Had some problems with the editor/browser. :(

Good to see that you are still around Ferret.

Darklight's shrooms apear to be gyms with a cap surface smoother than Mycot C and would be a different species.

The shrooms do look a bit sapinoid although the color appears too light to be that species.

Edited by Mycot

These are certainly a gymnopilus species although what species is hard to say without closer and even possibly microscopic examination.

Many Australian gymnopilus species are psilocybin-containing and these appear as though they may well fall within the active clades though further examination would be required to elucidate this.

Oh, is there something I could check with the spectrophotometer? Or a KOH or similar reaction drop test on the cap? Is there a specific identifying stain for the spore?

I have a basic ebay USB scope, but the camera is really poor with no reticule on it, and I need to get a slide micrometer. I don't think the Neubauer chamber fits under that scope either

This is a totally new field for me and I'm appreciating all the information. Maybe I should isolate it for culture just in case it is of interest?

Mycot the info in the threads referenced above is gold. Nice and solid :)

As long as ya kept spores or dried specimens all is good.

I don't think the KOH test really tells us a lot generally although some of the older liturature mentions it often.

Microscopes are still good for looking at cystidia and other structures.

After some isolation through chromatography the spectophotometer may be used to identify compounds of interest if the spectophotometer operates at the infra-red or ultra-violet wavelengths because many compounds have had their spectra charted at these wavelengths. :P

• Like 1

Bugger, no I didn't keep specimens or prints, I'll check the stump tomorrow, there were some out a day or so ago and see if I can grab an isolate and some spores

Have UV-VIS. Can TLC but mightn't have the right solvent system, I'd need references.

And again.. bugger, bugger, bugger. Too late for a quality spore print. I did take one but the cap was too old for ready spores

Left it on paper under jar for 4 days with frequent checking. Had to tell the difference between spore and dehydrated gill fragments which fell off

Might fire up the USB scope to see if any detail is legible at all

OK they're back and fruiting on the same substrate in the same place. I tried to use the microscope and Neubauer chamber ( it has a grid on it ) to capture pics, but my microscopy tek sucks

Have visual magnification to 800x, Neubauer chamber, but not sure what USB magnification I get with mega-cheap ebay scope camers

Yes there are a shit-ton of Wiki articles on the subject, but what's ppl's here recommendation for staining spores? What I'm seeing here could be anything