The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Acacia King

Can someone please tell me what this Phi Ratio picture represents??

I have been reading up on sacred geometry and the golden ratio. One of the images I came across was this one showing the Phi ratios found in a dragonfly's body, a butterfly and also in three different fish.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the diagram second from the right is (in the dragonfly picture... looks like overlapping sin waves) . I have worked it out to some extent. It looks like each curved line represents a 1 and in relation to the line next to it represents a 1.618 value..... not sure if that makes sense out side my own head or not.

I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me a bit more about this diagram. How is it constructed i.e. how is each curved line's distance from the centre calculated...ect. If this type of diagram has a name that you know of that would be awesome.

I wanna see if I can draw one representing a human body or possibly other animals so any advice as to how it is constructed would be great.

Cheers

post-8916-0-52401600-1362828892_thumb.jp

post-8916-0-90573900-1362828927_thumb.jp

post-8916-0-52401600-1362828892_thumb.jpg

post-8916-0-90573900-1362828927_thumb.jpg

post-8916-0-52401600-1362828892_thumb.jpg

post-8916-0-90573900-1362828927_thumb.jpg

I think the diagram is trying to show how the golden ratio is encoded throughout the structure of the dragonfly. Notice the faint lines between the 'zero points' in the wave and how they line up with changes of form in the dragonfly? For example the zero point for the largest phi ratio wave lines up with the change from the head/wing structure to the tail of the dragonfly. It is showing that each of the different parts of the dragonfly make up a harmonic whole in which everything is shaped to be harmonic with the proportion 1.618.

The way it is constructed is that you have a whole, which is divided into the golden ratio, which is divided by the golden ratio etc. If a diagram of that type has a name I'm pretty sure it'd be a scale diagram. Here is one of a human which shows the ratios as a scale rather than as nested waves.

pipihratio2.gif

I have read parts of this book and would recommend it if you're interested to learn more and are a reader;

https://ia600400.us.archive.org/24/items/cu31924028937179/cu31924028937179.pdf

There is also another book which you can freely download (~1000 pages from memory) which is another great book on phi and how it relates to living structures. I'll have a quick look through my library in the morning and tell you if I find it.

I hope I've explained it so you understand something you didn't already rather than something you did :)

I think it's to help you visualise the ratios, those swirls fit into each other, which is pretty cool. How is it calculated and what does it all mean. I don't know, it may be considered defunct science now but good luck anyway, it looks cool-as.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Cheers fellas,

Shamanistic - Thanks for the link to the book. I'll have a look now. A harmonic whole, I like that.