The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
trichpach

Everyone loves a Bridgesii tree

Whoa epic surprise this would have been! I always walk my dog along different routes hoping to spy something like this but alas it never happens.

With my poor eyesight I do get excited every once in a while though, until I get closer and realize its just another huge cereus :(

• Like 4

woah mama!!

niiiice.... closest I came to that is seeing a columnar on a south american soap opera... was probably a Cereus but I was like OOOH YEAH!

:P

Awesome plant mate, thanks for showing us :wink:.

I think i'll have to keep walking the dog that way in the hope that i bump into the owner tending to their garden so we can get out cacti nerd on.

Shit man, is this the way the world sees us "cacti nerd" :angry::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Cheers

jox

• Like 1

Yep, I certainly got my cacti wood on!

i'm kind of addicted to spying on peoples front yards while i walk the pooch... usually commending or disapproving of the space that people create. There's a really annoying trend where i live of all the new houses and their 'drought resistant' gardens. Basically this means, loads of Yuccas and Agaves (these are the only two species allowed it seems) amongst white pebbles... C'mon people, of all the possible things you could be growing in that space!! /rant

PS. I have nothing against the aforementioned species, in fact, i grow them too, but variety is the spice of life, and why would you want your garden to look exactly like 539 other houses in the neighbourhood!

• Like 3

We've all gotta embrace the inner cacti nerd!!

• Like 7

I can't believe it sin such good nick in a front yard. I'd of expected a few missing limbs from people raiding it.

What a stunner!

I must admit i cant help but check over front gardens for cacth when i'm out for walks too. Good to be observant :)

Hope they hook you up a cut or two, maybe you could offer to weed around it in exchange for cuttings?

• Like 1

Y'all in Oz have a lot of great trichos growing in peoples' yards - here in the USA, pretty much you see PC pachanoi but nothing else - came across a peruvianus awhile back and was pretty stoked - smalle rplant but growing out in a dirt alley. Other than that just pachanoi

Edited by nitrogen

Was driving to work this morning, and spotted a big ol' Pachanoi bush growing in a yard. Seems to be the day to find big plants. I'm betting that there must be a garden somewhere, just maybe one - that has a ginormous Trichocereus Terscheckii, or just a beautiful golden-spined dragon of a plant, and then I ask them "what about the plant?", and they say "Oh, that thing? I hate it - you can have it". And then i wake up, and there's drool all over the pillow :wink:

• Like 5

Seen some monster pachs in my life but a bridgesii that size is quite a find. Go knock on the door and ask if they'd mind you taking some cuttings. If the owners are elderly then they usually are happy to see a younger person interested in gardening.

People usually wouldn't notice if a few limbs went missing but it's just common courtesy to ask first in my opinion.

If you knock to ask and the person answering is an abusive bogan then a night raid is fair game in my eyes, but most reasonable people won't object to you taking a limb or two if you ask em first.

• Like 2

Dude, did you realise the EXIF data on that pic has GPS co-ordinates?

JUST KIDDING :innocent_n: In all seriousness though I'd like to tell you about a massive monster pc pach I once found in a nearby town.

I was driving past and saw it out of the corner of my eye. My friend was in the car with me but I held my nerve and didn't say a thing. I had to bite my tongue all the way home. When I got home I excitedly had a look at it on google earth, and a few weeks later I was driving past again and had a real good look, it was massive! I knocked on the door but no one was home. I drove past a couple more times but never really had the time to stop. I always thought I'd get around to it sooner or later. One day, a few months later I drove all the way out just to knock on the door and I shit you not, the entire fu#kn thing was gone! Gone with the wind, not a single trace was left.

My friend, don't let this happen to you.

Get to know the owners, give them a couple dragonfruit cuttings or something. Tell them you are in a cacti club or whatever and if they were ever thinking about removing it then you'd be happy to do it for free and share it around the club. etc etc. Treat it seriously! That's a find of a lifetime so don't let it go or you'll be telling a more tragic story than mine.

If they ever thought of selling the place they'd probably chop the thing down before they even put up a for sale sign. Go get first dibs on it mate, you just never know :)

Now ride, my good man, and Godspeed!

• Like 5

Ughhhh WHAT a sexxxxy beast!!!

Hey CBL, I've literally seen the monster tersheckii you've been drooling on your pillow about.

I'll give you a scooby-do clue.. She stands in timaru, so large you almost miss her, 2 stories high.

Argh, what a babe.. But too much woman for any one man to man-handle.

• Like 2

Oh, and i'm still trying to understand why we (cacti-freaks) often have pseudo-sexual responses to impressive cacti.

Not saying i don't.. Its just interesting to me.

Dude, did you realise the EXIF data on that pic has GPS co-ordinates?

JUST KIDDING :innocent_n: In all seriousness though I'd like to tell you about a massive monster pc pach I once found in a nearby town.

I was driving past and saw it out of the corner of my eye. My friend was in the car with me but I held my nerve and didn't say a thing. I had to bite my tongue all the way home. When I got home I excitedly had a look at it on google earth, and a few weeks later I was driving past again and had a real good look, it was massive! I knocked on the door but no one was home. I drove past a couple more times but never really had the time to stop. I always thought I'd get around to it sooner or later. One day, a few months later I drove all the way out just to knock on the door and I shit you not, the entire fu#kn thing was gone! Gone with the wind, not a single trace was left.

My friend, don't let this happen to you.

Get to know the owners, give them a couple dragonfruit cuttings or something. Tell them you are in a cacti club or whatever and if they were ever thinking about removing it then you'd be happy to do it for free and share it around the club. etc etc. Treat it seriously! That's a find of a lifetime so don't let it go or you'll be telling a more tragic story than mine.

If they ever thought of selling the place they'd probably chop the thing down before they even put up a for sale sign. Go get first dibs on it mate, you just never know :)

Now ride, my good man, and Godspeed!

You've inspired me.

I'm going to do exactly that, will head over and knock on the door for a wee chat. they might even want a few species that i have as a trade, because as far as I can see they have the Bridgesii and only two other species which i didn't have the time to identify.

Edit: I'd say, there's almost zero bogan chance because the garden is so well maintained and the house is gorgeous. Unless bogans these days are into keeping manicured gardens. Shit maybe i'm a BOGAN IN DISGUISE!! ;-)

Edited by trichpach
  • Like 2

Will keep you SAB'ers in the loop of how it goes.

If i get the "Oh that darned nuissance? you can have it" ... then i will just have to spread the love right here with cuttings to all! :-)

• Like 4

Oh, and i'm still trying to understand why we (cacti-freaks) often have pseudo-sexual responses to impressive cacti.

Not saying i don't.. Its just interesting to me.

pseudo? Well it's nice to know it's not a strictly male thing anyway, and much harder for a female to mention I would imagine.

I don't fully understand it either, but I'm sure it really has nothing to do with phallic symbolism, for me at least... I hope :unsure:

Wow & wow!!
There is no way I could walk past that without knocking on the door. If that was mine (and wasnt regularly attacked) I would be more than happy to help out a passer by with a cut if they were interested in it :)

Good luck!

• Like 1