The Corroboree
drpotato

Is this a gooseberry bush?

Question

hi,

i recently bought some gooseberry seeds, as ive been wanting for a long time to grow gooseberries, like what my late great grandparents grew in their garden back in germany.
Imediately after planting some in seed trays on my window sill, as i was mowing the lawn i discovered a wild gooseberry-like plant growing next to one of the small trees we had planted around the backyard.

normally i would rip it out and toss it aside, however i now recognise the fruit, it is exactly the same as a gooseberyy, with the cape, fruit shape and fruit-flesh-seeding similar to that of a pashionfruit.

I want to confirm this plant is in fact a gooseberry bush, and not a poisnonous lookalike.

attached is an image i took.

post-11452-0-74899500-1362729526_thumb.j

post-11452-0-74899500-1362729526_thumb.jpg

post-11452-0-74899500-1362729526_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

Hmmm... it looks nothing like my gooseberry but I may have a different variety so I can't say for sure sorry !

looks like a goose fruit pod but dunno bout them leaves aye!!!

tomatillo, or a cape gooseberry, physalis peruviana.

the real european goosberry, will not grow in the (semi) tropics because it loves a cold climat.

edit:

drpotato, wellcome, but we will move this topic in a few day's time to the plant id sub forum,

have a pleasant stay.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 2

Cape gooseberry!

They are very yum and quite prolific. Cute little lanterns too, they are ripe when the latern fades to yellow.

• Like 1

Definitely edible! Tastey too ;) Tend to find them growing in the sand or in disturbed patches along creeks around here.

The leaves look odd for a Cape Gooseberry , yours have jagged edges ,is a long leaf ( mine are shaped like little hearts) and yours looks like they dont have tiny hairs on the leaves? Maybe a variety variation , love to know the outcome of your fruit!

Physalis minima?

• Like 1

Physalis minima?

That looks more like it ...

Wow i didnt realize how many species there are in this genus!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis

Im keen on any seed that are not plain old Physalis peruviana, especially Physalis alkekengi which looks so cool with its red lanterns..

• Like 1

Shoofly plant ( Nicandra physalodes ) is another that looks really similar and puts a 'cape' over its berries except it has a black stem and speckles of black on the capes. Thats not what you have but I've been close to confusing the two before

DSC02938.jpg

• Like 1

That looks more like it ...

Wow i didnt realize how many species there are in this genus!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis

Im keen on any seed that are not plain old Physalis peruviana, especially Physalis alkekengi which looks so cool with its red lanterns..

the topicstarter said they are from europa, and the funny thing is, we do have Physalis alkekengi, as a wild weed growing over there.

it's fruits, i tasted as a child and they are definately not eatable, or even worse.

having grown up with this plant os, one has to reeducate oneselfes, and forget what mom and dad said back home, the latern plants in oz are yummy, and not yuk as back home.

• Like 1

I would go along with raising my hands for seed!

oh i forgot to mention im living in queensland.
also i was unaware there was a plant ID subforum, sorry, if i had seen it i would have posted in it.

I needed to know if this was a proper edible fruit producing plant, its growing right at the base of a small tree we have planted in the yard, it almost looks like they connect underground. the roots intertwine, and if its useless my dad wants to cut it, but now that i know its a proper gooseberry plant, it can stay and i can start harvesting additional seeds much earlier. i plan on planting ALLOT of gooseberry plants, all from a single motherplant , actually i plan on doing that will many other berry bushes, anyway, thankyou very much everyone

• Like 1

this plant grows as a weed in the SW of W.A> and indeed are very enjoyable. Kinda a sweet and sour fruit, very enjoyable.

ok i have a problem, my dad didnt care for the plant taking nutrients from the sapling, so i was forced to pull it out. the bulk of its root system is intact, however ever since i pullsed it out, (not literally torn, dug out a bit, the ground was like soft clay so it came out easily), and potted it, its been wilting as if its not getting any water, which makes no sense as ive been watering it allot and repotted it in a mixture of compost and the same soil from which it grew on, is this normal behaviour for plants when repotting them when the roots are torn and exposed? the same thing happened to allot of my other plants which i grew in egg cartons as i was too cheap for seed trays. anyway, in the process of removal, my watermelons had some root damage, and went through the same thing, for a while.

im not sure what it is, and i dont like it, anyone know how i can fix this? for the gooseberry bush i mean.

yeah, that's common and called transplant shock.

don't over water, put into a shady spot (reduces stress for the plant), and most importantly, trimm the plant back 3/4.

roots get damaged moving the plant, by trimming the plant above she will recover (3/4 damage to roots, 3/4 above ground trimming= all will be well).

this plant will re grow.

oh ok. i just noticed new leaf and berry buds appearing. does this mean the currently wilted ones should all be trimmed away then, are all they all just going to die off?