The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Technical Question about Sorting a Text Document

Hi Guys, i have a huge list of Internet Domains and i would like to get it organized somehow. The Document is a text file .txt and contains domains with various top level domains like .info, .com, .net and so.

Is there a way to organize this in regard to the Top Level Domains? Like only showing the .info domains out of the whole? Maybe with Excel, Word or so? Not sure if this is a noob question but i couldnt find a solution for this problem yet. Thanks. bye Eg

Grep kicks arse for that for sure, combined with a piped output you can search and sort virtually anything.

A point and click app like some of the others mentioned on that page might be easier for a windows user without any terminal experience though.

• Like 1

Which OS are you running EG? It would be easy to write a program to do it:

1) Read file into vector of strings
2) Sort strings based on TLD extension into a dictionary (key = TLD) of vectors (of websites)

3) Save into a new text file, with rudimentary formatting

I could probably write one for you (would be good practice for me). :)

• Like 1

Okay - I did it in excel instead. Steps:

1) Import the text document into excel
2) Make a new column next to the websites (each website should fit into a single cell)
3) Insert this formula into the first cell of the new column you made

=RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A2,".",CHAR(1),LEN(A2) -LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,".","")))))

4) Replace A2 with the address of the first website cell (should be just next to the cell with this formula)
5) Highlight this cell with the formula, and drag it down through all the cells (this will copy the formula to the cells you drag to)
6) Highlight both columns (the website and the one with the formula, which you should hopefully see will catch just the TLD of each website)
7) Go to Data > Filter > Autofilter (a dropbox above the column with the formula will appear)
8) Select only the TLDs you wish to see, and only the websites with that TLD will be shown.

Edit: fixed

Edited by CβL
  • Like 1

This is awesome guys (and Sally! ;) , thanks a lot! CBL, absolutely amazing! I didnt actually expect it would be possible so i´m really happy about this. Will try it out when i get back home later today. The Value for me lies in the ability to filter certain Domain Drop lists the way i need em. For this type of stuff, there are various technical tools that would make things a bit easier for me but unfortunately im not so good with Apps and tech-stuff.

Atm, im working myself through domain lists and try to use a crawler to check them to find out if some of them dropped. Using Xenus Link Sleuth right now but im obviously on board on the failboat caus i havent found one dropped domain with it yet. lol.

• Like 1