The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
LokStok

Autumn Datura give-away

I have 6 of the following lots of seeds to give away:

Datura ceratocaula

Datura meteloides (the originals of these came to me labelled as this, which is more often a syn. for D. inoxia, but the flower points to it being D. wrightii).

first 6 who post here and PM will get a pack of each, plus a mystery pack.

• Like 3

oh joy, oh boy, oh boyoboyoboy

I'll die with a delirious rigamortis smile upon my face :P

or not...

me please for seeds

OOOH mystery,i am intrigued

Please,and thanks:)

cool pmed cheers mate, dont need meteloides but keen on the ceratocoulas :wub:

Edited by bullit

Dammnn!! Two minutes late, nice give away mate, maybe next time :wink:

Cheers

jox

done all done.

yeah, got yah Jox. The new 6 is 7 :)

once youve all PMd your addresses i'll send em.

• Like 2

hey lok, do u rekon meteloides r a different strain or do u think its a d.inoxia or d. wrightii?? i have a bella violet meteloide that looks like a x?? :scratchhead: it hasnt flowered yet but the plant looks way different to tha other strains????

in crazytown [america] haha jokes there is a lil debate bout this :o

hey lok, do u rekon meteloides r a different strain or do u think its a d.inoxia or d. wrightii??

yeah, could be, but more likely due to bad botany from botanists Dunal, Clarke & Nees von Esenbeck.

theres an interesting report about it quoted and linked below.

I got these seeds from Idaho. The flowers are 5 horned like a D. wrightii instead of 10 horned like the inoxia.

I reckon they have the best fragrance of all the Daturas (i cant walk past without having a hit)

Daturas of the Old World and New

An account of their narcotic properties and their use in oracular and initiatory ceremonies

Confusion of specific names

"Still more surprising is the treatment of this species by Nees von Esenbeck, who rebaptized the species D. alba, citing as its type the very plate of Rumphius which Linnaeus cites as the typical form of his D. metel12 (fig. 3); while C. B. Clarke, in Hooker's Flora of British India, not only ignores Linnaeus's references above mentioned in connection with Datura metel but transfers this specific name from the Asiatic metel-nut to a plant of American origin and cites as an illustration of the species, not the figures of Fuchsius, Bauhin, or Rumphius, which fix Linnaeus's species, but an illustration in Curtis's Botanical Magazine (see fig. 4) of a plant grown in London from seed of American origins clearly identical with Miller's Datura inoxia, which will be described below."

"Ololiuhqui, the magic plant of the Aztecs

Datura meteloides Dunal (Plate 4)

The identity of this plant was for long time doubtful, owing to the fact that its Aztec name was also applied to certain species of Convolvulaceae, or morning-glories. It was even described and figured as an Ipomoea by Hernandez. It is not surprising that it should have been so confused; for its trumpet-shaped flower, like that of the closely allied D. discolor, strongly suggests a morning-glory . Like the Nacazcul (Datura innoxia) above described, it was the source of a medicine reputed to be efficacious in curing the "French sickness" and also for, mending broken bones. Padre Sahagan does not confuse it with a convolvulus, nor does he state that the plant has a twining habit. He describes it as follows:

"There is an herb which is called
coatlxoxouhqui
[green snake weed]. It produces a seed called
ololiuhqui
which is intoxicating and maddening. This is administered in potions in order to harm those who are the objects of hatred. Those who eat it have visions of terrible things. Wizards or persons who wish to injure some one administer it in food or drink. The herb has medicinal properties as a remedy for gout; its seeds are ground up and applied to the part affected."

"That this species should have been classed by the Aztecs with the Convolvulaceae, or morning-glories, is not at all surprising. In a recent article, by Willard N. Clute, published in the American [554] Botanist, it is described and figured under the name of the "desert trumpet flower," and the author describes it clustering along the mesa on the morning of a snake dance performed at Walpi, adding its perfume, like incense, to the religious ceremonial of the Hopi Indians. The flowers, like many of the Convolvulaceae, open at a certain hour of the day. They, and also the seed, bear a close resemblance to those of the Old World Datura metel, which was likened by Christoval Acosta to a convolvulus called in Spain "corregüela mayor," with trumpet-shaped flowers and seeds like lentils."

Edited by LokStok
  • Like 1

after a bit of a delay, these finally went out today :)

• Like 4

mail 2day!!! cheers lok :worship: stoked!!

Got mine today also :), thanks mate.

Cheers

jox

gotcha lok, you don't know how well you did with the mystery seed! :) thanks bud!