The Corroboree
Darklight

Proof of purchase- returning goods bought on credit card without a receipt?

Dunno what the deal is and it's too late on a Friday to ring Consumer Affairs or whoever they are these days...

I went on a whirlwind shopping trip today and bought a bunch of stuff from major retailers on my debit card. Got it home and found most of it is either crap or not as described.

When I went for the bag where the paper receipts were I found them to be soggy and illegible, because it's been raining forever

All up it's about $100 of goods. Not a forever amount but it's annoying and inconvenient. And I don't have the space to store seriously useless stuff

I'll do some googling as to my consumer rights and avenues in .au for return of goods as barcodes were scanned ( I'm assuming some kind of stock control ) as well as my debit card.

Does anyone here have experience of returning goods without a paper receipt but record of a card transaction to that equal amount?

hi!

a "good store" will refund without questions asked.

the "bad store" has to accept the debit card statements at least.

i'm the worst for legal advice, but i realy think it's ok, just having the statements.

• Like 2

Dry the reciepts out. Regardless of condition there worth more then your word :P

Our consumer rights have changed for the better recently, and things are much clearer. Although most people, and most retailers, are not aware.

Not sure if you are familiar with Choice? They are awesome.

The lastest issue arrived today, and in it was this ad for a free download from their site:

(I am copying this verbatim (minus any of my spelling mistakes) from Choice, who are well worth subscribing to. Note that the bold emphasis is mine)

"Know your rights!

These are your rights, don't take 'no' for an answer!

You have a right to a repair, refund or replacement from the retailer when a product:

* Doesn't do what it is supposed to do

* Doesn't do what you were told it would do

* Isn't of an acceptable quality, and/or

* Hasn't lasted for a reasonable length of time.

You just need proof of purchase.

No need for a receipt or original packaging."

Click this link and download the file. This is the document they advertised, it describes your rights.

www.choice.com.au/~/media/Files/About%20us/Members%20Noticeboard/CHOICE_guide_Summer_R_Feb13.ashx

If you can't download it for some reason then PM me and I'll email it to you.

From your description of the situation, you shouldn't have a problem. However do keep in mind that many retailers aren't aware of, or aren't clear about, the customers' rights for a refund. (And I'm sure many retail employees would love to be able to hand out refunds when there is clearly a problem with the item or when they sold you rubbish, but they fear they will be in trouble from management if they do so. So remember to educate them politely, they are just trying to do, and keep, their job :) ).

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

Thanks Alice, you rock:) I'll take the printout of that page with me when I go back to the shop ( and an excerpt from my statement containing the details of the card use )

Nice one :)