The Corroboree
inti

Show & tell.... spider & graft symboisis

Noticed this little guy on my graft last night.

Edited by trichoshaman
  • Like 1

I always have spiders on my cacti... I had one in a little trich seedling for a while, he even built his we around the rim as to protect the little seedling from insect attacks! If I ever see a spider somewhere I know people want like it I'll take it and put it onto one of my cacti. I feel that they are good protectors. Sometimes people say yuk why do you leave all that spiders Web on your cacti and I just say I think it looks good plus they are protecting it!

Edited by jwerta
  • Like 1

i like to see spiders on my cacti aswell

i was pretty stoked when these guys moved in one night recently.

post-9271-0-91699100-1361930126_thumb.jp

post-9271-0-91699100-1361930126_thumb.jpg

post-9271-0-91699100-1361930126_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2meke
  • Like 5

I pretty much deliver spiders to the cactus house every time I come across one... I like to put sacs of eggs and then find a few hundred of them roaming arounder later... they like to hide under the pots so i'm careful lol

Spiders <3

• Like 2

i like to see spiders on my cacti aswell

i was pretty stoked when these guys moved in one night recently.

attachicon.gifIMG_8326 (800x533).jpg

2meke - amazing spider pets ! awesome

yes they are sure great protectors.

Respect to the spider. strong allie of the cacti

I cant remember where i heard this but apparently an insect who chooses to make it's home on a particular plant becomes the embodyment and protector of the spirit of that particular plant :)

From a mythological perspective, the spider-goddess weaves the web of life and cuts each thread when the time comes for that particular thread to be cut.

With that idea taken into consideration, the spider is a being which deserves an exceptional amount of respect in my mind!

• Like 5

All hail the new spider overlords!

• Like 2

New? Or so ancient we cant remember? ;)

• Like 1

so ancient we cant remember?

Damn! that sounds just like me! :)

• Like 3

One thing I noticed, was that my seedlings initially have no spiders on them, and then sooner or later - the baby spiders come and select a plant, and as the plant grows bigger, so do the spiders. :)

...but when I repot my seedlings, I usually dunk their roots in water, and the spider can get freaked out and fall in the water (and then I feel guilty for evicting the spider - because he's a good tenant, pays his rent on-time, not far off having his first few thousand children, poor guy/girl) :/

• Like 4

I find spiders on all my cacti pretty much if anything just found a preference for short to medium spines cacti that have multiple columns near each other so they can build an apparent pattern, looks pretty random from my perspective most of the time.. but every now and then you can position yourself (or your cacti) to see a nice tunnel through their webs.

• Like 2

I used to sit down to check up on my cacti, I'd pick them up and sit them in my lap, casual as, and then i'd see a huge spider crawling up the side of the pot or along the ground in front of my feet :unsure:

Not a comfortable feeling... i don't do that anymore

I have a regular inhabitant who makes beautiful symetrical webs between the long spines of two cuzcos.