The Corroboree
etherealdrifter

Bush survival skills 101 - sab style

my wee

• Like 1

my wee

i have a feeling it would make me wander round in circles in some kind of catatonic state, might not be the best for bush survival

• Like 3

in case I was misunderstood, I tried to point out that, if a person were to collect, without clothing and rucksack, I would understand the need for plastic bags, when it rains.

I always forget about seeds collected in the bush, that's why I favour paper!

when i'm in the bush, everything becomes so special, I get so excited, by many plants and what I see and feel. once I am home again the excitement ceases, and that's why, I don't process my collections right away...

I would even go as far as saying, if I bring collection gear with me, I don't collect, if I got nothing with me, than suddenly a lot seems worth collecting,...

that's when finding a discarded beer can or soft drink bottle becomes a treasure, like in the gods must be crazy! :)

• Like 3

very busy ants=rain coming. (from my observations :) )

• Like 1

I carry a mult-tool with knife, little saw, bottle opener, scissors and pliers which is also incredibly handy around the house or at work. It also has screwdiver heads the only thing missing really is tweezers for ticks and spines. Tea tree oil is my antiseptic and insect relief, ziplick baggies a pen if I remember, my phone/camera and heaps of water. That's quite a tool kit for a primitive primate I reckon, not like our prehistoric ancestors who were excellent at using the surrounding environment to make tools.

Our most advanced tool to date is the information network I can find information about anything I might need in a few seconds with a few keywords. I forgive the electricity providers for the past environmental damage, so long as they take on board the new science and technology to stop the damage!

I'm not very primitive but oddly many people think I am, it's just that I pick and choose what I want and not swallow advertising wholesale!

• Like 1

just reading a korean food blog and i did come to learn that ferns are edible!

Fiddleheads contain various vitamins and minerals, as well as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. They are a source of antioxidants and dietary fibre.[2] They are low in sodium, but rich in potassium, which may make them suitable for people who need a low-sodium diet.[4]

Fiddleheads may harbour microbes, and should be washed and cooked before eating.[2]

Many ferns also contain the enzyme thiaminase, which breaks down thiamine. This can lead to beriberi and other vitamin B complex deficiencies if consumed to excess or if one's diet is lacking in thesevitamins.[5]

Further, there is some evidence that certain varieties of fiddleheads, e.g. bracken (Pteridium genus), are carcinogenic. It is recommended to roast fiddleheads to destroy the shikimic acid.[6] Ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) is not thought to cause cancer,[7] although there is evidence it contains an as yet unidentified toxin.[8]

• Like 2

Nice one!

I have tried 3 kinds of new zealand ferns in a meal together, just lighty fried with a lil salt, pepper and lemon juice. They were suprisingly nice, the 'hen and chicken fern' tasted like asparagus, another random furry one was kinda mushroomy and the third, 'hounds tounge fern' was just like lettuce.

Just ensure you check which local species are edible/palatable before you go chowing down on any old fern :P some get pretty hairy and tough and wont be worth it

.. I have also heard rumours regarding the existance of psychoactive ferns..

• Like 3

FLAT VEHICLE BATTERY. This only (apparently) works on maintainable (has caps so u can add water) lead acid batteries. bear in mind sulphuric acid is corrosive and will burn u and anything else it touches but not plastic. it will itch ur skin before ur arm dissolves :)

tip the acid (it will be more like h2o when the batts flat) into ur billy.

boil the billy (becareful not to get stoned and accidently make a cuppa) safety first remember.

tip the hot acid into ur battery.

the heat should act as a catalyst n kick start the chemical reaction between the plates n acid n put some charge into ur battery. keep ur battery warm for as long as possible before u start ur car, u might only get one shot at starting from this procedure.

best wishes and happy camping :)

• Like 2

SNAKES- (scare the shit outta me). the worst snake is a startled/scared snake. i walk heavy so the snake can hear me coming well before im standing next to it.

If you get bitten, tightly wrap something around the limb to slow the posion spreading to organs. limit physical movement and relax, the faster ur heart beats the faster the poison spreads. DO NOT attempt to clean the wound the docs need to swab test it to id what antivenom to give u.

im not a doc tho.

FLAT VEHICLE BATTERY. This only (apparently) works on maintainable (has caps so u can add water) lead acid batteries. bear in mind sulphuric acid is corrosive and will burn u and anything else it touches but not plastic. it will itch ur skin before ur arm dissolves :)

tip the acid (it will be more like h2o when the batts flat) into ur billy.

boil the billy (becareful not to get stoned and accidently make a cuppa) safety first remember.

tip the hot acid into ur battery.

the heat should act as a catalyst n kick start the chemical reaction between the plates n acid n put some charge into ur battery. keep ur battery warm for as long as possible before u start ur car, u might only get one shot at starting from this procedure.

best wishes and happy camping :)

can just put the whole battery near a fire/coals/sun and heat the whole thing up CAREFULLY

ALWAYS carry plastic (bigger piece is better) clothing, tent, water recovery, carrying stuff etc etc. hot tip! pissing in a condensation trap will get you more water and remove urea/salt from your urine making it safe to drink

• Like 1

when a lead acid battery charges it releases hydrogen. KEEP IT AWAY FROM FIRE!!!

when a lead acid battery charges it releases hydrogen. KEEP IT AWAY FROM FIRE!!!

i did say near not in lol warm coals with sand over the top/around does well

yeah you can brooa, Even a couple of litres of boiling water tipped over the top of the battery still in the car works pretty well unless its a massive battery. That has the added advantage of wetting the terminals so any furring is removed and the resistance is reduced too