The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bogfrog

Trichocereus hybrid ID

Question

Hi, i have this beautiful plant which came from Getafix, when he left NZ.

I can't remember if he knew what sp. it was, he just sold it as a hybrid and it certainly looks like a hybrid.

But of what?

Since there were two heads to the plant, my partner and i went halves in it. Our mate offered to put it in the ground in his green house with the idea that we would take a tip each when it reached the roof.

It hit the roof within one season, so now we have these gorgeous tips to re-plant.

The colour is amazing :drool2:

I get a disctinct 'bridgesii-feel' from this one, its definately hybridised but to me it looks like there must be some bridgey genetics in there.

My partner disagrees, he thought san pedro x peru.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome? This may be a mystery which is too obscure to crack...or Getafix might pipe in and say "its a .....!"

Cheers!

• Like 3

10 answers to this question

What a beauty

It looks Peruvian to me.... but thats just my guess

• Like 1

Hi, i have this beautiful plant which came from Getafix, when he left NZ.

I can't remember if he knew what sp. it was, he just sold it as a hybrid and it certainly looks like a hybrid.

But of what?

Since there were two heads to the plant, my partner and i went halves in it. Our mate offered to put it in the ground in his green house with the idea that we would take a tip each when it reached the roof.

It hit the roof within one season, so now we have these gorgeous tips to re-plant.

The colour is amazing :drool2:

I get a disctinct 'bridgesii-feel' from this one, its definately hybridised but to me it looks like there must be some bridgey genetics in there.

My partner disagrees, he thought san pedro x peru.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome? This may be a mystery which is too obscure to crack...or Getafix might pipe in and say "its a .....!"

attachicon.gifID1.JPG

attachicon.gifID2.JPG

attachicon.gifID3.JPG

attachicon.gifID4.JPG

attachicon.gif1D5.JPG

attachicon.gifID 6.JPG

Cheers!

Mmmm I wish my memory served me better but I can't remember where that one came from, I had so many Peru's most which I grew from seed but others I acquired elsewhere. This was probably one of those ones so I wasn't sure of it's parentage.

Looks beautiful, glad to hear the Trich's are doing so well.

Sorry I can't be of much more help

Getafix

That plant is soooo beautiful :wub:

I would say that it looks mostly Peruvianus based on:

- The spines are following a pattern out of each areole (this is a feature of Peruvianus and Pachanoi genes, pure bridgesii plants usually have a semi-random number and pattern of spines) - and there are short spines, and one long spine (once the plant gets older, it might also pop a second long central out of each areole during year #2 of growth)

- The thickness of this plant, is quite thick (thicker than any bridgesii-mother hybrids I have, but similar to the Peruvianus plants)

More circumstantial evidence:

- The cross-section's star shape looks much more Pachanoi/peruvianus than bridgesii to me
- Golden-coloured spines, without that greenish tinge that often the yellow-spined bridgesiis have.

But it doesn't really matter - it's an awesome plant anyway. :D

Nice one, you seem to have sculpted cacti IDs into a sciene :P

Will try save some wee stumps, this would be a nice plant to propogate and share within the cacti-lovin-community.

• Like 1

i've got a bridgesii x peru with a most beautiful color like that. .. it stayed very skinny so far... but tis by far the most beautiful blue out of many triches... but its got alot darker spines than that.. doesn't look exactu but I'd say it reminds me of that plant.. very beautiful :)

what a perfect mix

Perfekt mix indeed ;)

Regardless of identity this will certainly be in my top 5 favourites!

Those subtle blues and blue-greens are amazing huh?

I have always thought of getting a 'peruvian torch blue' paint made up for my partners courtina wagon.

The colour of this hybrid would be a lovely colour to paint the bathroom.. With cuzco green window-sills :P

hey....

this looks like .....

fuck ! this IS the

true blue peruvianus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nothing more nothing less!

besides that it looks a bit ICARO/ lost gentiles

• Like 4

Bogfrog that's a beauty. I love when plants are so powdery you can see where you've been grabbing it :P

Got any pics of the mother?

True Blue Peruvianus™

Turtle hermit, i should have a pic somewhere, i'll have a look.

It was just two big heads but one had nearly hit the roof so she had to come down.

I tried so hard to keep the finger marks to a minimum but it was tricky! That powdery stuff doesnt just grow back.