The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
illogicalBrew

ID for cutting found roadside

Question

5 answers to this question

Cereus peruvianus (85% sure) - congratulations. :)

First of all, thanks for checking that thread. Even if it didn't solve your problem, it shows you're at least trying. :P

Secondly, the ribs on a Tricho - despite getting extremely thirsty, will generally never get anywhere near the shape of a Cereus (I've got a 18 month old cutting that is still, mostly fat, despite growing like 3-4 pups that kept getting knocked off). The Cereus shape is really distinctive, and you can't really miss it.

The side-profile, where it seems to bounce from each areole to the next - is a characteristic of a C. Peruvianus. Lastly, C.P. is one of the more common Cereus plants around people's homes (being a garden centre plant), so I think that it's very likely on statistics alone to be one.

Edited by CβL
  • Like 1

I'd have to disagree on the ribs of a trich never gettin anywhere near a cereus. Over my time of grafting, I've actually found a number of trichs suck in the body of the stock, looking very much like a cereus. This has never been exhibited on a standalone plant, only grafts...

Edit... def cereus

Edited by gilligan
  • Like 1

I'd say Cereus peruvianus too.

I just had to go check my rubbish pile to see if you had been past mine :P, If you are after more cacti or succulents & are happy to pick up from Mt Tamborine send me a PM mate.

jox

Edited by Jox
  • Like 1

Thanks for the prompt responses - I'll put my blender away now. It's funny how to the untrained eye, wishful thinking places emphasis is placed on similar characteristics (in my case - zomg small spines = E. panachoi) rather than the ones that differentiate it.

Agreed. C. peruvianus