The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

what are your top 10 must have ethno plants?

Hey guys,

I was just thinking we all have different favourite plants for different uses. so i was just thinking what are your top ten plants that you couldn't do without?

• Like 4

hmm I don't really have a top ten... but I guess if I had to choose a number 1 it would be Cacti!

When you say favourite plants do you mean species or just like family?

Edit:

1. Trichocereus spp

2. Lophophora

3. Salvia's

4. Euphorbia spp

5. P. viridis

6. Valeriana officinalis

7. Mentha spp

8. Camellua sinensis

9. Papaver spp

10. Trichocereus spp :)

Edited by jwerta

mine is a fungi Reishi it would have to be up there

plus acacia's are very popular

• Like 1

Well I lost a dear pet recently and a lot of my spare time has been dedicated to a few plant species in particular... Here's a list in no particular order that I couldn't currently live without caring for :)

P. viridis

Coleus blumei

Coleus Forskohlii

Catha

Trich & button seedlings

My nans succulents

D00d

• Like 2

Coleus for colour.

Khat for vigour.

Passionflower for peacefulness.

Ephedra for endurance.

Caapi for calmness.

Rhodiola for clarity.

Loph's to learn patience.

Sceletium for stability.

Brugs for their beauty.

And wattles for the ride :devil:

• Like 14

Catha 'Narrow Leaf'

Piper subpeltatum

Piper auritum

Ilex paraguirensis

Salvia and Coleus species (too numerous to mention)

Coffea arabica

Lophophora williamsii

Banisteriopsis caapi

Psychotria viridis

Ephedra spp.

• Like 1

In no particular order ... The plants i used to live without but couldnt give up now are -

Salvia divinorum, most amazing colour and texture to the leaves, i feel very strongly drawn to her and im getting leaves as long as my forearm now.

Trichocereus species.. Nuf said ;)

Silene capensis, i just moved my plant under the apple tree, the flowers look so sweet displayed throughout the branches and smell divine.

Passionflower. Slowly but surely.

Lophs, little darlings that they are :)

Skullcap, soothes my distorted and fragmented states of mind.

Kanna. Stunning plant and rewarding to see something cranking throughout the winter.

Datura metel. Strong presence, cant wait for those flowers.

Tobacco. I only smoke the flowers but they are a nice treat.

Coleus = Fantastic.

• Like 4

Top 5:

Anadenanthera colubrina - First plant I grew from seed. Loved seeing it develop. It grew incredible fast in the first few weeks. Such a nice plant to look at.

Banisteriopsis caapi - Love watching these guys grow! Every time I walk past, the new growth is in a different position, exploring the world around it. :)

Argyreia nervosa - Another amazing plant to watch grow. Such a fast grower, with beautiful heart shaped leaves.

Trichocereus var Roseii 1 - My fastest and largest Cactus. First Trich flower I've ever seen in person. Love it!

Alicia anisopetala - New to my collection, but my most treasured plant at the moment. I think it's more the mystery of this plant that makes it so special to me.

Edited by Justler
  • Like 2

Oh, and i forgot to state the obvious.

I probably could live without it, i just choose not to and i enjoy the benefits and suffer the pitfalls of that choice.

Chonged monged and dumbed.

• Like 2

Tasmanian Mountain Pepper

Aloe

Brug Sanguinea

Lemon Balm

Japanese Mint

Achuma - Kai, Jess, Eileen

My late grandfather's 50y/o trich schickendantzii

Catnip...for my cat but I get much joy out of watching him enjoy.

F13xDeep Chunk....just joking, honestly.

My very best favorite - Sprinkling dozens of trichs to be germinated, then watching over time as several start to grab my attention with their own unique characteristics. Then caring for these over time and watching them develop and intimately get to know each one.

• Like 1

It's always a pleasure to have Datura around, Tasmanian Pepper tree too

Nice topic.

Watch the hits on this one Top 10's and 100's etc always tend to rate well on the net.

In a place where legality was no issue i would kindly choose the following at quick pick.

The thread states "which ethno" which is kinda hard to separate fact from fiction but include fantasy i say we can all dream a bit.

Khat, Ephedra, Cordyceps Sinesis, Mushrooms, Marijuana, Coca plant, Dmt producing plant, B caapi, Rivea Corymbosa, Cactus

Now enjoy your sleep...goodnight.

• Like 1

My garden only has culinary herbs at the moment. When I started thinking about the question I realised that the first six awesome plants that I would love to love... would only be ok if I was in a lawless fantasy land. Blah, guess I'll have to keep appreciating them via obscure chemistry and pharmacology papers until the lawmakers develop some sense. Why do you stand in the way of our love, TGA!! Why?!

Ah, I'm so angry today :P

Oh, but #7 & 8 would probably be tea and valerian. I'll save spots #9 & 10 - what if they discovered some cool new plants this year and I didn't have any spaces left? I'd feel like a fool. :o

Edited by Anodyne

Well if I had to live on an island with 4

A caapi, a phleb, and a nice blue bridgie.

And every winter subs came up everywhere.

....Im not greedy.

• Like 4

I like the ethno's with chewable leaves. That covers most of them lol.

Plus the cacti of course.

and since codeine is in the painkillers I use then I guess poppies are right up there too.

Also betel nut is really good for motion sickness on those crazy bus rides thru PNG.

From 1 to 10 in order of those I hold closest to my heart ... :wub:

1. A. phlebophyla

2. L. williamsii v.caespitosa

3. P.viridis

4. Alicia anisopetala

5. Anadenanthera peregrina

6. Watertrades "loph lollipop"... :drool2:

7. B. muricata (haven't got it yet)

8. Tabernanthe Iboga

9. Tabernaemontana undulata

10. Brugmansia aurea culebra

but my real favorite is a non-ethno, "Boabab adonsonia gregorii"... love it :wub:

Edited by space cadet 101
  • Like 2

What, only 10?

In an ideal world, where legislation would be sensible and all the following would grow in my climate, I'd have:

Nicotiana tabacum

Coffea arabica

Ashwagandra - Withania somnifera- ( thanks c0in )

Cissus antarctica

Banisteriopsis caapi

Mitragyna speciosa

Nelumbo nucifera

Erythroxylum novogranatense

Acacia phlebophylla

Ganoderma lucida

'scuse any typos

These days I'm mostly interested in healing plants with dual uses- smaller doses being medicinal, and larger doses medicinal and fun

Colhawk said it, the holy trinity well fournity.

well, if its got to be ten, in no particular order

there they are, and I include plants I dont have too.

1. A mini herd of a bridgesii, why not the penis plant?

2. mushrooms woodeaters in early winter

3. amanitas in automn

4. a Caapi

5. some tropane plant, I would choose Henbane, probably H.niger, but if it had to be a perrenial, then some Brug or Mandrake. Well I cant choose, I love those plants too much , but IMO henbane and mandrake would be preferable for playing with , for the sensible explorer.

6. Some nice Acacia, not sure which, dont know so much about all those species. Maybe acuminata.

7. E.no vo, who wouldn't wanna have one of this? not really experienced in those alkaloids.

8. opium poppies, have never tested opiates, and dont indend too but this is cult plant to cultivate and a beautiful one too. In fact I did grow oppies but never messed with them otherwise than growing.

9. Ephedra , this is one of my "must have"plants . Or maybe Catha

10. Cannabis

I would love to include also A catha plant , also a "must have" for me, also haven't tasted khat , Argyreia nervosa and Turbina corymbosa, lovely plants to be around, Brugmansia sanguinea, where climate allows or in a GH, Psychotria species , a variety of Acacias and Mimosas.

Trichocereus wise, I got to have

Trichocereus giants [pasacana, terschecki, valiudus, even the faster taquimbalensis]

Trichocereus monsters [penis, crests, melted wax semi monstrose bridgesiis, you name it]

Trichocereus pachanoi/peruvianus/scopoculica/macrogonus/bridgesii/cuzcoensis etc bring the tens of the names supposedly representing a valid form [which I very much doubt]

brugz belladonna kava cocoa sleepy herbs datura hellebore lochromas

lotus natives

Edited by bullit

but my real favorite is a non-ethno, "Boabab adonsonia gregorii"... love it :wub:

the boab, is an ethno plant, ethno means of use/benefit to humans.

the seeds of the boab, are said to be high in vitamin c for example, and can be stored for a long time.

some people claim, that ancient seafarers carried those seeds, and avoided scorbut.

it's one of my favorites aswell, and i planted one out in my garden.

• Like 2

Psychoactive ethnos:

Banisteriopsis caapi

Cannabis sp.
Erythroxylum novogranatense
Mimosa hostilis

Nicotinia sp.

Papaver somniferum

Piper methysticum

Psyilocybe sp.

Salvia divinorum

Tabernanthe iboga

Non-psychoactive ethnos... that's a tricky one. Timber, wheat, fruit, chilli, various herbs & sphagnum come to mind :)

And the boab is one cool tree, there's no denying it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gija_Jumulu

• Like 1

anything the governments have banned or want to ban. already missed out on some, bastards.

anything the governments have banned or want to ban. already missed out on some, bastards.

Start growing Iboga in case New Zealand's tentative steps towards medicalising ibogaine go south. And because the world needs more Iboga.

• Like 1

Nicotiana rustica

Banana

Avocado

Cannabis

Caapi

Coconut

Chili

Loph

Poppy

Acacia

If I was stuck on an island, I would take those plants over any others, assuming that mushies are there as well. I could make bread with hemp, poppy and wattle seeds all day.

Edited by Roopey
  • Like 1