The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mud

Common Purslane

Contains up to 0.25% noradrenalin

and apparently large amounts of dopamine

in fresh herb.

http://www.answers.com/topic/purslane

(From Leungs Encyclopedia of natural remedies)

Is this interesting?

Food IS drugs :blink:

nice find, it's a common weed, in my area and aswell in my garden.

i'm sure that some, people said, one can add it, to your salad.

its also one of the few leafy green plants that has omega 3 in it.

good shit!

I had the giant gold that they farm in India but the recent flood smashed it and now it is gone, but the common grows all over my pavers, my grandfather would eat it. I'm not a fan although its not horrible.

It sounds brilliant :D

• Like 1

I read somewhere that it contains melatonin but can't seem to find the reference.

It's tasty and easy to grow and once you've got it in your garden it will be back every year!

Soo..

maybe to be pouring purslane one ones cacti..

and eating regularly this extremely common, delcious

superfood!

Might one actually benefit from eating large amounts of noradrenalin and dopamine?

Soo..

maybe to be pouring purslane one ones cacti..

and eating regularly this extremely common, delcious

superfood!

Might one actually benefit from eating large amounts of noradrenalin and dopamine?

i highly doubt it would do anything, good or bad. neither are orally active / useful precursors / anything else that comes to mind.

it might be a different story with a MAOI though, esp a non-selective one? territory i wouldn't want to explore, though...

Well that just changed things up MP!!

I'm interested to hear more if anyone knows. If it turned out to be the superfood I'd be chuffed. Just because you can eat it doesn't make it anymore nutritious to lettuce until there is some sort of study done...

D00d

Heh np :) Noradrenalin is used medically for heart issues occasionally, I tend to think mixing this with a MAOI would be a VERY bad idea. Anyone who intends to play with this stuff, pleeeease tread carefully.

interesting !

that weed appears regularly in my garden. Now I know i might try some ;)

just don't mix with serotonergics/MAOIs if you want to sample it, to be safe. i'm sure it can't hurt to toss some in a salad otherwise.

could be interressting though, trying to smoke some of it, as some actives might, just pass the brain barrier.

ef, makes a very good point, saying not to mix, with maoi's.

the don't mix maoi's with certain activas thing, seems to me though, varies in degrees of danger, from person to person.

i once freaked out, mixing one zoloft (or very similar), on top of my daily small dose of hypericum.

aswell, i remeber a friend saying, never mix melatonin with maoi's, he was scared a lot from this concoction.

interesting, never heard the melatonin one. much more important to keep in mind now that the stuff is more readily available in .au.

i would actually be surprised if noradrenalin wasn't at least somewhat active when smoked, although the effects are unlikely to be *psychoactive*. i'm not volunteering for this one though :D

hrrrm... i've thought of one use, although it's untested territory. you could try using it as mulch on lophs/trichs :)

• Like 1

hrrrm... i've thought of one use, although it's untested territory. you could try using it as mulch on lophs/trichs :)

you mean, something like dunno the term, "pre cur ser feeding"?

hoping that the loph can, facilitate the purslane mulch, and as a result itselfe produces more activas?

Mmhmm. Best use of catecholamines I can think of off the top of my head! Similar idea to using other dried offcuts as part of bulk substrates to encourage desirable traits.

I've never seen anyone prove or disprove speculations on these ones... there are those couple of czech papers from the 80s but that's about all the info I've seen out there. If you have a bunch growing as a weed I guess it probably couldn't hurt? (purslane)

Hahaha. All this hoo-ha about purslane :P

I wouldn't call it a superfood (I think that term gets thrown about too often anyway and too loosely). If I remember right the common wild ones are also relatively high in oxalic acid so you don't want to eat too much of it. I'm sure most plants will have some kind of effect if ingested in the right way in the right quantity...doesn't necessarily mean it's worth trying :lol:

Edited by gtarman

Hahaha. All this hoo-ha about purslane :P

I wouldn't call it a superfood (I think that term gets thrown about too often anyway and too loosely). If I remember right the common wild ones are also relatively high in oxalic acid so you don't want to eat too much of it. I'm sure most plants will have some kind of effect if ingested in the right way in the right quantity...doesn't necessarily mean it's worth trying :lol:

yeah, this forum is awesome, the people here can make every plant sound, very exciting.

the only downdside is, because of this hooo-ha, one wants to collect and cultivate all of them, and this is pretty much impossible.

hmm, have say something, usefull aswell, hmm....

oh, how about treating purslane, the same way as sceletium, to get rid of the oxalic acid?!