The Corroboree
bogfrog

Giveaway or trade: Raoul Island Kawakawa

Hi everyone,

Just had some new seeds arrive and there are more than i can grow alone and it sounds like a potentially interesting plant, so i have 5 packs of seed to trade or giveaway.

Post here and pm your address, any trades are most appreciated.

The seeds smell very strong and spicey.

The seed came with the following info:

''Raoul Island Kawakawa.

This plant is bigger and jucyer than its NZ counterpart, the fruit are twice the size and its glossy leaves dont get attacked nearly as much as the local form.

Enjoy a tea of the leaves and nibble on them as well.

This subsp. Psittacorum has a very interesting buzz in the mouth which probably signifies something healthy and exciting.

Related to Kava these plants medicinal properties are yet to be ascertained.

Very tough on the coast or the mountains.

100% fresh, viable seed''

• Like 2

Yes please

Sweet as.

4 packs left.

Ooh yes please Bogfrog

PM'd

would love some !

2 left :)

Yip yip and yip!

All gone now, thanks folks.

NoOoOoOoO!! :P

Well, if your plants get going bog - I'd like to trade cuttings. I'm still working on a variegated Kawakawa cutting - waiting on it rooting or rotting, and I collected a cutting today from Whangaparoa, which had very dull leaves it seemed - could just be where it was growing though. I think I can get a cutting going from another big-leaved island Kawakawa - I forget which island though. :)

• Like 1

Of course i have some seed for you CBL (Silly duffer :P)

Just pm your address and i'll get them out to you next week.

Variegated kawakawa sounds awesome.

I only have variegated thistles and broom in my garden.

• Like 2

Mmm variegated Kawakawa. I would love to see that! (I would love to have that!)

Hurry up CBL. I have to say, I did get some Kawakawa cuttings to take but they were quite difficult, and they all ended up rotting off. I laid long pieces of stem half-buried in a tray, but I guess the root environment was just too wet although it took them a really, long time to die. It might work if you were to lie a whole stem down on the surface of the ground and pin it down so all the nodes were covered.

What is your technique?

First of all, I thought I knew better - I realized that the cutting would be classed as semi-hardwood, but I thought I could just root it in water anyway (-_-). I let it sit in water, but after a week, I could tell it would simply not root into water. I re-read about rooting cuttings, and then took it out, sliced the stem just below a node on an angle, and dipped it into rooting hormone (IBA from memory), and then slid it into a container of half sand/half pumice sand, and put that into a humidity chamber. I mist the leaves every so often, and it gets a bit of indirect sun every day. Probably won't make it - just checked today, and no roots have formed, but some energy has been expended to try and push out a leaf.

Luckily I can get more cuttings, and next time I'll treat them properly. :)

• Like 1