The Corroboree
waterboy 2.0

Tree Bogs - anyone seen one?

Yeah I know, not so sexy...lol....A much better way than the old long drop - I am intrigued to know if anyone has seen this put to use in Aus. or NZ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_bog

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/loo-view-build-your-own-treebog

WB

• Like 4

LOL, love the birds names from link #2 in the opening post :P

:)

Wouldn't be planting root veggies, possibly not anything for food, but other species sound good. Many Aussie natives might not be so good with the high nutrient / moisture content, but rainforest plants will probably do well. Fast growing species.. maybe bamboo as it would also provide a screen and can be harvested for wood, it also fixes carbon three times faster than trees (might ruin the view though!). Mint sounds nice for smells, maybe basil.

Have a distinct dislike for willows, so was thinking of elderberries as a main structure tree ....they chase up my compost bins and piles of animal shit as soon as they touch the ground almost.

Your on the ball with the natives whitewind, I'd only look at them in a wetland situation for a nutrient stripping application, and then not accepting the primary wastes.

Still intrigued to know if someones had a go at this.

Ideally this is what I'm hoping to create if I ever manage to get land...much easier to just let a tree take it all in than to worry about composting it or worrying about the water table...

I like the idea of using a willow, so long as it's not close to a waterway or anything - willow can be put to use in a couple ways that I know of: you can use the young shoots to create rooting hormone to use in propagating plants from cutting, and the wood is easy to carve if you're into that thing..I remember it does okay as firewood if dry enough too.

Edited by gtarman

It also just struck me that perhaps cotton plants might be a good idea too. Aren't they supposed to use stupid amounts of water? The fibers produced would also be quite useful.

what an awesome set of bogs!!!

and what a way to harness the power of nature tew!

love it !

ran outta likes so had to post instead

twin terbo kudos to whoever goes for it

I wonder if anyone's made one from a shittah tree ? :P

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

+1 for bamboo as the "tree" part - definitely what I'm gonna try when I build mine.

I figure you can always combine treebog with the ole buckets-of-sawdust method for those cold rainy nights.