The Corroboree
theuserformallyknownasd00d

What did you do in your sacred garden today?

very nice flowers!

the fruits will have a very aphrodisiac scent

here's a crappy pic of my largest catha flowering...

post-3765-0-75222300-1362367359_thumb.jp

seedlings of PH mixed catha seedlings (3 acacia accuminata seedlings in the 3rd column from the right)

post-3765-0-69811700-1362368106_thumb.jp

not even spring yet & Sceletium tortousom blooming like mad

post-3765-0-43043900-1362368436_thumb.jp

A few degrees below freezing this winter but E. novo totally surprised me, I fully expected total leaf drop

post-3765-0-92971200-1362368741_thumb.jp

Working on getting my veggie garden starter packs going & took some pics of cymbidium orchids blooming.

Unusually warm winter this year, a miniature nectarine tree is pushing new green tips & pink blossoms already.

post-3765-0-75222300-1362367359_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-69811700-1362368106_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-43043900-1362368436_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-92971200-1362368741_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-75222300-1362367359_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-69811700-1362368106_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-43043900-1362368436_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-92971200-1362368741_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

nice one zelly, now we know, how tough novo's can be, have you over wintered her sucessfully (outdoors), aswell the winter before?

i read that cold will not lead to wilt (fungus inactive) but medium and higher temps, will cause wilting disease.

the sceletium photo is the best i'v ever seen, sooo many flowers, mine only show a few flowers at a time, and never a mass bloom.

that makes scelly an incredible medicinal plant, with ornamental value!

Edited by planthelper

have you over wintered her sucessfully (outdoors), aswell the winter before?

The first yr I put a nice bushy novo in the ground and she died deader than a doornail one very foggy night when the temps dropped below freezing. Several yrs went by & I finally acquired another super bushy plant which grew for me quite well. I left it in the pot next to some cymbidium orchids, 2 big bushy P viridis plants, some big kratom plants & the purple catha. All faired exceptionally well except the 2 P viridis, they lost all their leaves & froze the top 15-20 cms of the branches. No freezing foggy nights this year though, just freezing. Two years in a row would probably be pushing my luck too much.

I agree with planthelper, novo only looses its leaves when its too cold.

wilting leaves are a sign of too high temperatures or, much more often the wrong medium, which must have high drainage. Also too low humidity can cause wilting, but this depends on hardening.

Trichoderma as antagonist and Symbivit as mycorrhiza-mix worked very well for her.

Mine is outside only in the warm summer months.

Edited by mindperformer

mp, i think the honour goes to zelly, regarding leave dropping info.

with wilting disease, i mean fusarium wilt or verticillium, not sure now which of the both is the major killer, but sure extreem good drainage is, partly controlling this wilt. this wilting diseases, wiped out the historic australian coca plantations, and the colonist gave up on growing coca in autralia, because of it.

anyway, zelly's info seems to suggest, the same as happens at my place, the catha can survive a few degrees minus celcius, if it stays dry, but if it catches ground frost combined with fog or small water dropplets, she will suffer, or even die.

plants which are sheltered (by trees or structures), from the dropplets, will survive, without any burns.

Edited by planthelper

re: mandrakes

Aren't the flowers supposed to be faintly luminescent ?

hey I dont know, You think I should check with a black light? lol

And yeah I think the fruit is suposed to be NOT toxic and edible.

It was in a text from Samorini, in fact it is the fruits wich receive light during the day that emits a blue light at night...

I planted a mandrake at my father's garden 7 years ago, i'm wondering how big is the root now .

I just added a bunch of peastraw to my little ethno/herb garden and watered like crazy.

post-8023-0-55262100-1362703235_thumb.jp

In the back row we have, datura metel, valerian, skullcap and more skullcap

And in the front is a withiana somnifera

post-8023-0-22004300-1362703265_thumb.jp

and down this end are some more skullcaps and withianas plus a salvia, which has almost doubled in size since i planted it here in the ground.

celebrated caapi and admired its beautiful shiny leaves:

gave pukatea a little seasol:

post-8023-0-02796700-1362703459_thumb.jp

cross-pollenated our first trichocereus flowers:

post-8023-0-69756600-1362703484_thumb.jp

peru and yowie

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

• Like 6

Love your garden Bogfrog, it looks like a perfect little microclimate of devotion.

My plants are all on the move tomorrow and a few will be shared with the kind helping hands who are devoting their precious time to my (and my plants) well-being). They should transition well from their shaded balcony to a more open garden where they have a choice of sun, dappled light and full shade, with the chance of real rain over their leaves and a really thorough watering occasionally.

They will be so happy! And with enough time to really kick on before winter! Will have to take some photos, though I guess they will still all be in pots

• Like 2

Today I watered and fertilised most of what I collected at the Sydney plant swap. I also moved the aya vine into a 3hr full sun spot as I think it's nice and happy here. I am stoked to have gotten nicotiana benthamiana in the garden finally and picked off the flower buds today as I'd like it to bush out a bit before collecting seed.

Tomorrow I look forward to being fed some good energy whilst travelling with some ethnobotanic plants during relocation. Sounds like some of the energy will be coming back with me two, stoked ;)

Boggy, amazing plant crib braaaa (oh man did I say that!)

• Like 3

yeah bog I Love the stone patch.

well 1st day in a long time with no rain!! went to tha pub for lunch [kids eat free ] haha then went home to pot up [plants] haha ,spray mites, and chill with my niteshades. pics of mookshood flower and my prized lochroma australe blue, alba...

• Like 5

I have now settled in to my new place, and my babies are perking up already.

They are all still in pots, positioned around the top courtyard here, some of the herbs will be planted out soon, maybe using the help of a two year old. I'll give her some seeds to sow too.

Edited by whitewind
  • Like 7

second latin name of the e, pls...

the e looks awesome, has it had a similar semi shade aspect before aswell?

no, all of them look very healthy, good to know you settled into your new place ok. :)

• Like 1

/

Edited by whitewind

I broke my new trowel trying to dig out a rock.

post-4739-83582_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I broke my new trowel trying to dig out a rock.

it's so hard to buy good quality tools, these days, they just dump all the crap onto us.

if it's cheap don't buy it, it makes my blood boil to know that the enviroment gets fucked over, to produce crap and crap again.

in the old days most things you bought, lasted a lifetime.

now they just produce crap, so you have to buy it again.

michel douglas, i hate you :devil: , greed is not good :ana: , it's evil and will destroy the earth :BANGHEAD2: .

It was a Christmas present and I must admit I did have my reservations about it at first because it was a Jamie Drurie brand trowel and he is, and always will be, style over substance. However it was really comfortable in the hand and I ended up quite happy with it until it broke...

I refuse to buy Jamie Durie stuff, my mrs bought some because of the green colour :BANGHEAD2: but everything, including the brass fittings broke! Absolute crap!

Fantastic looking courtyard Whitewind, i'm sure you, your girl and your plants are in for some good times there B)

• Like 1

Hi Bogfrog the house is lovely too stained wooden frame with huge windows all round, open plan with a little attic room on top where we sleep. There is a spiral wooden staircase up in the middle that the pumpkin loves to climb, it's a bit like fairyland for her. The owners seem quite curious about my plants but know little which is probably good, I will just rant about medicine if they ask ;) they are pretty cool, very sweet actually two sisters and four grown up kids all techno hippies!

• Like 2

Hi Bogfrog the house is lovely too stained wooden frame with huge windows all round, open plan with a little attic room on top where we sleep. There is a spiral wooden staircase up in the middle that the pumpkin loves to climb, it's a bit like fairyland for her. The owners seem quite curious about my plants but know little which is probably good, I will just rant about medicine if they ask ;) they are pretty cool, very sweet actually two sisters and four grown up kids all techno hippies!

better not to even use the word medicine, the best i came up so far, is to say, they are australian native plants!

like this the visitors understand that, although they know a lot about plants, there is a reason, why they, never seen any of those plants before! i would go even as far as using wrong labels.

we are the good guy's, but need to protect our knowledge, from the polluters and the greedy people.

sorry if that sounds, maybe doomsday like, i'm far off believing in cults or negativety and fear, but better not to say anything....,

loose lips sink ships.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 3

I'm not used to having strangers around my plants you might be right planthelper. Luckily most are quite ornamental I could just say they don't flower much in pots. I don't want loose talk who knows who these lovely people know? I wouldn't want them to start disappearing either!