The Corroboree
theuserformallyknownasd00d

What did you do in your sacred garden today?

Thanks for the link lokstok, yeah it's a beautiful ceremony to be apart of. I was upset when a neighbour came out and yelled at us midway trough this mornings ritual. The ash is still very powerful I believe and I feel better with it in the air of my appartment.

D00d

Growth on my plants has been amazing since performing the Agnihotra!!! It's been horrible weather, but everything's reaching for the skies and behaving like its spring :)

Started doing cuts for the Sydney swap meet and sowed a few Kawakawa from boggy the legend!

D00d

The voices told me to mulch my Sallies with Brug flowers.

Now that sounds like a heavy synergy.

• Like 2

Well after a week away, I mean a week of floods and tornados.

Too wet to get a private tour of the SAB nursery with old mate Toast, one of the main items on the agenda.

Too wet for a Medicine retreat, the other main item.

I get home to a lush garden, that needs a few hrs tidy up.

My Floribunda has been taking steroids while ive been away,just going off .

post-337-0-09013500-1362020965_thumb.jpg

My Caapi room is now a Caapi cave

post-337-0-77147400-1362020868_thumb.jpg

post-337-0-25570900-1362021058_thumb.jpg

My Brug has been flowering continuous for like a month

post-337-0-59910800-1362021168_thumb.jpg

So I can do my favorite thing in the garden......just sit and enjoy.

And have my own special healing retreat.

• Like 12

i'm a bit jealous of your garden, but than, i don't deserve a garden like yours, because i don't work as hard in the garden as you do.

no, im not jealous, i like my place, because it's a bit untidy, hehehe.

no, no, no, no, but, yes but always super pic's of you! :wub:

the flapjack left of your floribunda (kalanchoe thyrsiflora) is a beauty aswell, and going into seed.

i mowed today, managed to to the whole place in one go, i'm pooped now and in considerable pain.

thank god the rain stopped!

over the last few day's, i installed my first aquaponics system, pic's later, it's a very small system, powered only by a small solar pump, time will tell if it works.

Today I spread some organic fert pellets around the place. I got em from the markets and the market holder said they were the beez knees. I tried them in a few plants first, and bingo, I think they were right. From memory they contained fish, kelp, blood and bone, organic compost concentrate, worm wee and another 5 or so ingredients I can't remember. Not bad price either, $5 for 2kgs

I am still wondering weather Becchette will appreciate them, and tomorrow ill give her some after consideration. She's pushed out a set of leaves since the transplant so am very pleased and thinks she needs some juice!

D00d

Today I spread some organic fert pellets around the place. I got em from the markets and the market holder said they were the beez knees. I tried them in a few plants first, and bingo, I think they were right. From memory they contained fish, kelp, blood and bone, organic compost concentrate, worm wee and another 5 or so ingredients I can't remember. Not bad price either, $5 for 2kgs

I am still wondering weather Becchette will appreciate them, and tomorrow ill give her some after consideration. She's pushed out a set of leaves since the transplant so am very pleased and thinks she needs some juice!

D00d

D00d, i'm sure you do everything right with you becchette, but for other readers, i add that pellets used in pots, are often fungus gnat magnets. so use them sparingly, or better soak them up in water, and feed the juice often but little. but the last methode, turns a longer term fertilizer, into a shorter acting one, so aswell not ideal.

i learned this the hard way, and now never use pellets on pot plants which are kept more moist!

if it's a big plant and the surface of the potting mix is drying out everytime, between the waterings, than it's far less of an issue.

but once thos pellets stay wet for a while (and most people do water them in a lot), the gnats will move in.

the larvae look like small white worms, every garden and verandah has got them, sorry to say.

so even, if you are clean, they will move in, comming from your neighbours, over watered, plants....

I do have a few gnats floating around hey! I generally give the soil surface a quick pyrethrum spray and then water it thru HOPING to kill some of em... Is this wise practice? We're talking a minute ammt to get the one floating the surface and just below...

the gnat larvae goes where ever they find the best conditions, it can be the top layer or the bottom of the potting mix.

i mostly notice them, (look for them) only if a plant doesn't perform well.

1, i put something under the pot, to make the pot rest with a slope on the dry ground.

this aids drying up the pot.

2, i dry the root ball a bit, before because i know the pyrethrum treatment will make the root ball very wet.

idea is, give the plant a dry cycle before, you soak it's roots.

3, prepare the pyrethrum, i use double the strengh as recommanded as a spray, for a couple of small pots, you might need 1l.

4, put the pot into a bucket and soak the medium, with your solution. save the mixture which flows out of the pot's drainage holes, and use it again, on the same plant. let it sit for a while in the bucket.

than treat the next plant, with the recycled mixture.

5, let the pots dry up again, again i place something under the pot's to make them slant as much as possible.

6, i originaly heard of this methode, of t.

• Like 1

That's good to know planthelper fungus gnats have caused me huge amounts of damage and distress over the years, as you say drying out is the best solution for me and I have an allergic reaction to pyrethrum so I use chemicals as little as possible even organic ones! Overpotting can cause overwetting too and this can be why plants go backwards after potting on - providing a lovely environment for both fungus gnats and moulds, a nasty combination for new roots. I dry my plants to almost wilting point to avoid this, it can inhibit growth a bit but it's a safer bet for sensitive plants

ww, elaborate about your alergy regarding pyrethrum.

most people just say, pyrethrum is save for humans and animals, (but not fish, and others) but i'm not so sure either.

i don't have an alergy, but i can feel it, in my body, even the minutes ammounts.

i totaly avoid inhaling it, but still at times i can feel it.

other stuff, i found though, much, much worse for my lungs and system.

note, never get pyrethrum in an open wound, or into your blood stream.

i use potassium based fungicide to kill the nastiez! potassium biocarb ups your ph and drawns out the moisture

Mild headache, nausea. I get it from Neem too, most chemical pesticides to some extent.

took photos of my plants, offered for trade, i like working with the camera, pretending the plants are my sexy models, hey hold on, THEY ARE, my top sexy models... :worship:

than i proceeded to curse the rainclouds, and removed the rain protection, knowing i have to put it back in place, in a short periode of time. :scratchhead:

and here is my new aquaponics setup!

post-70-0-26223900-1362273388_thumb.jpg

it runs only on a small solar pump, time will tell if it works.

bigger systems are employing big pumps and automatic syphons, more info at this super ozzi site: :wink:

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/

aquaponic_setup_small solar_pump_reduced.JPG

aquaponic_setup_small solar_pump_reduced.JPG

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 2

It has been raining lots so I planted a wet-ish garden bed with Acorus calamus, a "mystery" SE Asian member of the Family Rubiaceae that loves swampy conditions and a big Voacanga africana... Should work well methinks..

• Like 1

Potted up a bunch of rustica seedlings from trays, same with ephedra nev and salvia splendens blaze of fire. Replanted some marigolds in the garden at work.. That shit is one crazy weed.

Repotted ylang ylang, cinnamon, tulsi, kava, jackfruit, a few others :) potted out some baby chacrunas that aren't quite babies any more! Still a few more nexus to pot out.. Those guys are loving the nq weather right now! As is voacanga, cebil, trichs, and every herb imaginable.

Started a wall of caapi along the back fence that is soon to explode.

My iboga babies are looking healthy as, almost all my cuttings are striking, sorry for the rest of the east coast but up north we're loving the weather!

Stripped out all the weeds around my iboga father plant... It's in mostly full sun but it seems happy and now has heaps of room to grow in the ground :)

Last but not least I started de-algaeing my green house... Won't be an easy task but I found some copper sulphate at the store so I'm well armed!

• Like 3

Oh and ph I want to come see your aquaponic setup and your next top models, do you have some kind of entry fee for your private ethnobotanical garden? ;D I wouldn't pay over $20 for look don't touch, I warn you ;)

tarenna I don't suppose you have seeds? Edit: as it happens I have access to swamp conditions...

Edited by endorfinder
  • Like 2

really, your iboga does well in full sun for a longer period? I shaded my plants strongly (with high humidity in the greenhouse)

Edited by mindperformer

Just shared images of recent Iboga flowers from my large father plant on fb, can't get them here right now without using a computer which is too much work :P

The previous custodian of this particular iboga messaged me moments ago to say its now looking much better in my garden... Planted in near full sun with lots of manure foundation and heavy grass clipping mulch on top, it seems to be thriving. He had it in a shady spot.

Of course my adolescent which sits in indirect a pot in sun seems to be the most vigorous grower, but it's also the most heavily pampered so it's hard to say.

Humidity is highly variable here but all my iboga seems to have adjusted to the conditions. A third baby plant is growing in the Ground well shaded... Curiously it's the least vigorous of the three.

I'm in the dry tropics east coast Australia, 20deg lat give or take. If I pampered my biogas more I'm sure they'd grow a little faster but I want tough plants that will grow to maturity in this climate!

• Like 1

Oh and for reference - most of the east coast of Australia right now from mackay down to Sydney is copping nasty rain at the moment.

I'm north of that and the weather has been... Well, perfect for plants? Lots of shower bursts with sunshine in between, nothing the babies like more.

So you have to account for the fact that basically EVERYTHING in my garden is happy as Larry right now! The daddy iboga has only been in place a few months, time will tell :)

Oh oh oh my lophipop from WT went into full flower today, pics in the am! (my first loph flower!)

Edit: and while I think of it does anyone have any hints on CuSO4 dilution and application? I can't work out if it's horribly poisonous or remarkably safe... :S

Edited by endorfinder

Oh oh oh my lophipop from WT went into full flower today, pics in the am! (my first loph flower!)

and at the extreme opposite corner of Australia, so did mine :) (from Tipz)

• Like 1

and at the extreme opposite corner of Australia, so did mine :) (from Tipz)

^5!! ;)

hey

I woke up a little heavy from last night d+b rave event, it was nice. We were thinking of going off to try our luck with morels with couple of friends , but thought it would rain and that we 'd be fucked from the rave... Waking up to a such a wonderful weather today sunny and all forces me to at least go check on the GH.

Did I tell you that the 25% of the mandrakes that survived the early pick and transplant are growing and happy?

http://postimage.org/'>P1090496.jpg

http://postimage.org/'>P1090490.jpg

• Like 3

Nice ! Aren't the flowers supposed to be faintly luminescent ? Or maybe it's the fruits, i don't remember well.

• Like 2