The Corroboree
theuserformallyknownasd00d

What did you do in your sacred garden today?

i have a wood rose growing up a drainpipe will it cause the drainpipe any proplems

any tips on training them

It shouldn't cause any problems unless the pipe has any cracks at or below ground level where its can get it roots in.

Edited by SallyD
  • Like 1

Big day in the garden today

After some careful consideration ive decided it sneak my cappi vine out of her pot..... Im hoping by the time the olds realize its in the ground it will be to late :lol:

2013-02-06103008.jpg

2013-02-06103015.jpg

2013-02-06103550.jpg

2013-02-06132333.jpg

While i was at it i decided to take my 2nd cutting of the year,

2013-02-06133327.jpg

And my baby button has flower for the 3rd or 4th time this season, its happening so often ive lost track :wub:

2013-02-04141821.jpg

2013-02-01123918.jpg

• Like 8

Before I move out of home an shift down to Auckland I thought I should share some pics of just a few plants growing in the garden. :)

Acacia confusa. My three babies, Hmm... just realized I should have four lol. Better go find that.

IMG_0059_zpsbc617af9.jpg

In ground salvia growing happily 'beneath the taro aye bro'

IMG_0077_zpsef86a490.jpg

Variegated Brugmansia I scored. Cuttings for all next summer!

IMG_0075_zps0e7f4b33.jpg

Stictocardia tiliifolia 'SEQ'. No sure if this is the active stictocardia or not. It went crazy in spring but its really slowed up on the growth. I need to get un-lazy and re-pot it me thinks.

IMG_0113_zps85f405dd.jpg

And finally my cycas flower B). Got this plant when I was like seven or eight years old. Hasn't been well looked after but its still doing alright.

IMG_0022_zpsc5b5856f.jpg

• Like 4

Oh yeah. And heres my Tabernathe iboga. Let him out of the green house for a photo shoot and a feed.

tabernathe_zps524da6d0.jpg

• Like 2

Variegated Brugmansia I scored. Cuttings for all next summer!

cheers mate, awesome find!

• Like 1

Awesome variegated brug!!! Amazing!!!

Today I noticed one of my Vienna white khat seeds is emerging. Also coming up is my sun opener seed I harvested a few weeks back. I've given about 20 members this seed so there should be heaps of plants going around next spring.

I moved my seedling to a more sheltered spot which receives 2 hrs direct sun and nice ambient lighting for the rest. They are protected by shade cloth against the morning sun and get water in the am if needed.

I also sowed out 4 phleb seeds into a sand/coco/potting mix blend which I microwaved for 3 minutes to sterilise. The seeds were soaked in boiling water for 40mins, drained and more 80C water added. Soaked for 6hrs then planted out into the same environment a described above. I used 2.5" square tubes.

Made some coleus cuttings to distribute at the sydney plant meet and gave everything a good water. Collected more heimia seed and brug seed to distribute also.

Peace - d00d

i have seen the varigated brug os, glad to know, it's in oz aswell, i remeber it has even a name, the same way as names are given to roses.

two more things, i noticed, which are happening, with this thread, which i would like to encourage:

short and brief remarks, which will help the exchange of plant materials (but don't use this forum like the trade forum), like "i've been looking for this seed for a while, i'll pm you, if you can share some and, remarks, regarding cultivation.

this will make this topic even more educational, and will spread the "love", i mean, plants and seeds, even faster!

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

Agreed PH, the thread is beginning to uncover some great info and personal experience, much like the cactus thread. It's also amazing to see such a variety of sacred plants being cultivated within our community :)

d00d

• Like 1

/

Edited by whitewind
  • Like 1

Ww ill bring u some brug seed at the syd plant swap. I also forgot the 'organic' slug pellets last night, I will post them if your in dyer need bro, so sorry or I can bring to the meet. Let me know when those clones are available also :)

• Like 1

'Maya' is the name of the brug someone I know is growing it so hopefully more cuttings around soon. I wouldn't mind getting hold of 'Sacred Sunset' and 'Culebra' both of mine died when I was in the mountains

ww, do you mean, you went mountaneering, and on return the culebra was dead, or did they die, when you cultivated them, living in the mountains?

i say this because the culebra/sanquineas are quite heat sensitive, and don't grow well (or at all) in the warmer parts of oz.

i'd love to grow them, as they are my favorite brugs, but i would need a cold house for them, hehehe.

in syd they, do alright, they survive -5 deg C and probably, far, far colder, so realy good for the temperate parts of australia.

Edited by planthelper

ww, do you mean, you went mountaneering, and on return the culebra was dead, or did they die, when you cultivated them, living in the mountains?

i say this because the culebra/sanquineas are quite heat sensitive, and don't grow well (or at all) in the warmer parts of oz.

i'd love to grow them, as they are my favorite brugs, but i would need a cold house for them, hehehe.

in syd they, do alright, they survive -5 deg C and probably, far, far colder, so realy good for the temperate parts of australia.

They didn't seem to like the frost, they were pretty small plants and didn't make it through the long winters of the Blue Mountains. I lost a shit load of stuff while I was up there, but was going great with Mandrake which I had to leave behind because I didn't have space in Sydney. Curse this constant moving!

Edited by whitewind

Sowed a good dozen batches of Trich. hybrid seed even though I told the Mrs I wouldnt be growing anymore....sigh , damn addictions.

Edited by mr b.caapi

'Maya' is the name of the brug someone I know is growing it so hopefully more cuttings around soon. I wouldn't mind getting hold of 'Sacred Sunset' and 'Culebra' both of mine died when I was in the mountains

maya is 1 or peaches and cream !!! i will have cuttings soon also have sacred sunset cuttings too!!

i grow all my brugs in semishade here on the sunnyslutcoast!!

• Like 3

maya is 1 or peaches and cream !!! i will have cuttings soon also have sacred sunset cuttings too!!

Yep semishade is the way to go, although the spidermites love the shade too....buggers.

• Like 1

Nice :lol:

my fist generation Datura metel fastuosa from my seeds poked there head up. lost the first lot of seed to a foot of water and cyclonic wind. lol.

Bullits Yellows are ticking along but the weather has really touche them all up.

• Like 1

Succulents of Africa? I am trying to grow some cuttings of Commiphora species (not Myrrh but related), there was hardly any material so I dipped them in purple clonex and dropped them into open perlite, I water them once or twice a week and they are in fairly deep shade and out of the worst wind but otherwise unprotected; they came through the heat and still have their leaves, but no signs of roots yet. I did Bursera too. Any hints?

Planthelper, I lived in the Blue Mountains for a while, and while I had some of my collection in Sydney, it wasn't looked after by someone who knew so much so I lost a bit, and the rest I took with me. It was the combination of hot days in the greenhouse combined with frost and snow at night I think that did things in, I couldn't get decent shelter anywhere on the land, and the greenhouse had to be moved every couple of months to keep the shade. I was never around during the day so lots of things happened while I couldn't monitor, and when I brought plants inside they suffered from the dark.

I was wondering about building cool houses in the tropics, I think air movement is a must, plus maybe humidity from a running creek. I remember, on extremely hot days I would go into the rainforest to a pool and the surrounding air was so much more pleasant. Deep and dappled shade all through the day, maybe water over rocks and lots of surrounding vegetation to soak up the heat - shade cloth may not be enough. So a strong fan and running water (solar powered of course) shade cloth overhead and surrounding trees, perhaps on a slope as this might help air movement, and overhead misters perhaps too (esp. with a fan). Plants in crock pots in the soil to keep rootzone cool and even, maybe water flowing through the soil to keep that cool too. I dunno, would love to try these ideas out see if they actually work for cheap!

My Succulents of Africa = Mesembryanthemums and Adeniums etc. Haven't tried Commiphora but might look into chasing some down next summer.

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 1

Potted up the Caapi 'Enano' I bought...

20130208_Caapi_Enano.jpg

Potted up the Passiflora and Calea plants I bought..

20130208_Passiflora_Calea.jpg

As you can tell, the Calea looks rat shit.. Not sure what, if anything, I've done wrong? It's in a mix of seed raising & cutting mix, a coarse, cheap potting mix,

and some perlite. I've watered it and it's in a cool, shady spot inside. Transplant shock? I have heard one or two members say that Calea do tend

to go quite dead-looking before bouncing back. I figured they're considered a weed elsewhere, so not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Oh, and there's some Super Pedo x Pach that are finally sprouting in the take away tek on the right hand side :)

I also have a Pach and an Eileen cutting I'll pot in the next few days :)

I also put up a 3x3m tarp outside to help add further shade to the greenhouse and provide a nice little grassed area for some plants (there's no verandah or shaded spots here otherwise).

Edited by SYNeR

Is there any reason why you've potted them up in big pots that are only half full ?

A standard nursery pot is designed to drain properly when it's full. When they're half full they function more like what nurseries call a squat pot which surprisingly holds more water than a taller pot with the same volume of soil.

What I'm saying is a small plant in a big squat pot will have a very long wet cycle with a standard potting mix which isn't ideal for a small plant. It was explained to me like this.

If you get rectangular sponge like you'd use to wash a car and dunk it in water until it is saturated and then take it out and stand it up (a bit like a nursery standard pot) to drain for a minute it wont hold much water if you wring it out and measure it.

But if you soak the sponge again, take it out and lay it down( a lot like a squat pot) for a minute and then wring it out you will get a considerable amout of extra water than it had standing up.

So you're setup will have a very long wet cycle(maybe too long) compared to what they would have had in standard pot that is full.

Edited by SallyD
  • Like 3

my wood rose is taking over the front of the house, I dont know where this

plant gets it nutes from but gee its growing fast. Its planted in a garden that

my cat's have used for ages to poo wee in, not much grows in this bed so

im amazed by its growth .

I selected the pot size based on the roots of each plant, and they're more than half full anyway? I'd say they're 2/3 - 3/4 full.

I'm wondering if I should've made the calea mix a bit grittier.. Not sure I want to disrupt it any more though :(

EDIT: You're probably right about the caapi, actually.. It's definitely under filled.

Edited by SYNeR

That's probably OK then SYNeR, I thought the plants looked a bit smaller than that.

I noticed new growth in my silene capaensis plants today. A week ago they were repotted and I cut the flower stalks off which I recently collected seed off of. My coleus plants are booming this time of year, so I took another 6 cuttings to swap at the Sydney swap.

I also need to write this to remind me to collect more sun opener seed which has almost ripened.

My viridis has finally taken a nice green colour in the leaves and seems to be going well! It's pushing out a pair of leaves every 1.5-3 weeks so growth is still quite slow. I gave them a 1/2 strength solution of "green up" from the hydro store (N and Mag supplement), this seemed to have been the turning point with the added greenhouse shelter. What's a suitable viridis feeding cycle?

I decided to pull my stevia plant out if its planter box in full weather before I started going downhill with the coming season change around here. I gave a 1/2 strength c. carp watering and moved it to 4hrs morning sun

D00d