The Corroboree
theuserformallyknownasd00d

What did you do in your sacred garden today?

Went to visit a local garden centre on the way home... found out that it's actually 10x bigger property than I ever knew (despite having been there 5 times)! The paths are just fcked, the plants are overgrown, they're understaffed, and I can't see how they're still in business. But I'm gonna go on Sunday and have a chat with the owner, as I think I have exactly what it takes to revitalize the place - even if I just do landscaping using their plants (not that I yet know how to be a landscaper), or make a catalogue, or make a webpage. I also found a huge Brug there - had some kind of pink flowers. Got a cutting of it. :)

Go Nem - get those brugs! :P We need all the brugs of Auckland, hehe.

• Like 4

Not from today, but recently I've: cleaned out a disused greenhouse, re-potted a P.viridis and 30 unidentified orchids, sprouted dorset naga's, Ashwaganda, Agryria nervosa, Heavenly Blue and assorted veggies; ripped out a mountain of asparagus fern and planted a Nexus (after taking some leaf cuttings).

• Like 2

This morning i squealed like a little girl when i noticed my first caapi seedling has sprouted.. And so it begins :)

Also potted up a few salvia cuttings, i hope they will be okay, my dopey mum stood on them when i was showing her round my greenhouse :(

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 6

Since I moved in here I cursed the fact that my plants get practically no sun, but in this tropical weather, enough humidity and the shade means they are thriving! Now they will be so much stronger to last the winter. The only wilting ones tonight are some sensitive seedlings (though they did look very dry too) and the tips of the Tasmannia stipitata, they don't like this heat at all. Now the wind is here, it's down from 45 to 26 and we are loving it!

Edited by whitewind
  • Like 2

photo update of my latest seedlings emerging;

acacia acuminata broadleaf

post-9832-0-38525200-1358548219_thumb.jp

acacia acuminata narrowleaf

post-9832-0-29638500-1358548223_thumb.jp

acacia simplicifolia (just starting to break the surface)

post-9832-0-36093000-1358548227_thumb.jp

mimosa hostilis

post-9832-0-98033200-1358548232_thumb.jp

acacia maidenii

post-9832-0-37958300-1358548237_thumb.jp

can anybody provide some experience when to repot these babies? i dont want to do it too soon as there is still seed germinating but dont want to leave it too late also! i plan on keeping them as a bonsai/standard, with a view of planting out when i buy a property.

a acum broad 1-19.JPG

a acum narrow 1-19.JPG

a simp 1-19.JPG

m hostilis 1-19.JPG

maidens wattle 1-19.JPG

a acum broad 1-19.JPG

a acum narrow 1-19.JPG

a simp 1-19.JPG

m hostilis 1-19.JPG

maidens wattle 1-19.JPG

• Like 3

Got some soil from around the roots of some acacias at my work to stick around my potted mimosa's and acacias.

Hopefully theres some mycorrhizal fungi in there somewhere, whether it helps them grow we'll have to see.

The plants I grabbed the soil from had plenty of nodules so thats promising.

Also some brugs I found and grabbed cuttings off. This white flowering plants a behemoth, thats just the tip of the iceberg you can see lol

IMG_9992_zpsf1e3181d.jpg

Wild pink brug just down the road from the white one.

IMG_9993_zpsef9dd0bd.jpg

• Like 9

Wow! That first plant is huge.

I'd be keen to trade you for a couple cuttings at some point :)

No worries boggy. Got plenty of cuttings :)

Theres still a real nice orange flowered one on private property I want to grab some cuttings of aswel. The lady on trademe who sold me my datura metel is sending me an apricot brug at some stage too. Going to be well stocked with brugs at my place soon hehe

I gave my iboga cutting some seasol a week or so ago and it has pushed out a very green & healthy new pair of leaves. Progress!

Now i have 3 caapi seeds sprouted out of 12 and the unsprounted seeds have fine fluffy roots developing around them.
Thanks Buttsack for the seeds!

Also noticed this brug ('Noel's Blush') has been growing very round leaves lately. I wonder if this is just a side effect from being in the greenhouse, as none of the others are growing leaves like this and it looked normal when i got it.

edit: to add pics and more blah-blah

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 2

super rain here, went manic, and almost busted me guts, moving a water tank, on my own.

first, i had to put slim wedges under the on the ground resting tank, to get rid of most of the water.

than, with 3m poles, i managed to put the tank on it's side, and to, move it like, "a wheel".

i seriously, strained my muscles to the max, and that all, in the falling rain, and dressed with one of those yellow, rain coats, hehehe.

once i cracked open a beer, a had more energy, and now the job is finished for the day.

NOW, I SAVE MORE RAINWATER, YAY!.

nothing beats the feeling, after some hard work, when you are with a beer & a scooby, watching your new WATER TANK catching water. :P:wub::drool2:

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 12

Gave everything a real good water today, dragged about 60L to the too balcony... But nothing like PHs effort! Crazy one mate well done! I bet that beer was bonkas when it finally hit your palate!

I noticed all my acacia seeds have popped! So that acuminata (narrow+broad), simplifolia, phleb and maidens wattle. Along with my hostillis, I'm a very happy gardener.

I have lost 3 acuminatas to damping off but still have 2 left. I think I will take the plunge and repot these two tomorrow after work...

walked around in the rain looking at everything getting wet for the first time in about 6 weeks. Happy plants.

• Like 4

walked around in the rain looking at everything getting wet for the first time in about 6 weeks. Happy plants.

fuk its great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! me kids [and plants lol] r stoked like its never rained b4!

Edited by bullit
  • Like 2

I support this thread.

Yesterday, among other things, I repotted some basil.

• Like 5

cleaning up after the rain and thanking mother earth

• Like 1

@ d00d your acacia seedlings won't need re-potting anytime soon. They would be fine for 6-12 months in those pots. I wouldn't be moving them until the middle of winter minimum as small acacias aren't that found of being tampered with. I grow them in tubes from early Dec-July then straight into the ground. By then many roots are out the bottom of the pot.

• Like 1

Sowing Acacia into plugs / tubes is better, less root disturbance when potting on. One seed per plug, or if you expect low germ. Two seeds, though I hate it when two strong healthy seedlings pop up and I have to cut out one! Usually I just let them fight it out ;)

• Like 1

It finally warmed up here enough to put my kratoms back outdoors... I actually did this yesterday... it was a relief because the day before I found the tops covered in spider mite webs... I sprayed them down right away with a real good tested remedy that has proven effective, and then yesterday when I put them out I resprayed them to make sure I got contact with all the stems...

One was in a really dark place and had shed all of its leaves but even in the shady spot was already pumping out new leaves so the timing was great to make sure they develop right... This was a mother and 2 cuttings from the same mother... the mother stalled on my most of last year due to a late discovery of scale, and the two siblings caught up so now I've got 3 trees over 3.5 maybe 4 ft tall and also a rooted seedling that I may experiment with in the ground or something...

also I made a fuckload of salvia cuttings for a trade that didn't work out but I needed to prune very badly, so anyhow I misted them today with kelp for a 2nd time... I sprayed them down the first time with it and they are shooting little root nodes out of the top! a few of them lost all of their leaves, but have begun growing out new leaves in just a few days.

also I moved a bunch of other plants outdoors that are either not hardy or borderline hardy... i'm so glad to make some space so I can get on with spring propagation projects... so much work to do lol

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 2

Thanks micro and WW! Yeh I realised it wasn't practicle but space is a hassle (isn't is always hehe). Ill keep em all together in communal pots til next season and learn from my (half) mistake! Thanks for the advice bro's

Its been windy! Today I had to improvise some stakes for all the younger fruit trees getting bashed by the rain and the wind!

Today, I sowed out all the seed I had that was vaguely appropriate for this time of year, much of it thanks to waterboy. I planted my last pituri seeds, silene capensis, a few calea, some safflower, marihuanilla, wormwood, 4 p. alba, probably more I've forgotten. I started a water plant pond in a plastic storage container and sowed one of the 5 sacred lotus seeds I scarified a few nights ago that are already growing ferociously. Everything got a feed of seasol today, including the cacti. Splendens "blaze of fire" seedlings are looking strong.

Yesterday I made a desperate attempt to keep a catha cutting alive after finding it hadn't rooted at all after 3 weeks+ - I trimmed it down to 2" of healthy material, scarred the stem and covered in rooting powder, and stuck it in a baggy with sphagnum moss. If it dies, at this point I can feel comfortable I've done all that can be done.... I also turned a garden bed into a veggie garden, and sowed the first round including okra, riddichi, lettuce, carrots, capsicum, snow peas, etc. I also got a couple of trays of salvia splendens and lion's ear prepped for mum's garden at work, and some mullein and lion's ear for myself as well.

In the last week, I've started training my desert rose, planted a dragonfruit into the garden (although he really needs to be where there's more sun), sowed out 60 odd ephedra nevadiosis seeds (two seedlings visible so far), planted some p. viridis, passiflora and hoodia from seed, started a tray of 25 or so loph seeds, transplanted a bunch of young plants into a herb bed to grow a bit more freely for the moment (iboga, viridis, caapi, mate, voacanga), started air layering my gooseberry. Sowed some rucola in pots too.

Coming up... I bought some dripline I need to test for both the nursery and the gardens, 3 acacia species are waiting to germinate in glasses in the kitchen after a bit more scalding, kava plant and a few others due in the mail any day :)

• Like 2

we have degrees below zero for a few weeks now, some pots are frozen outside, but no problem for these plants.

no mildew anymore on the cannibal tomato :-) ...the tincture from Berberis vulgaris- bark and root, Sophora tonkinensis- root and Cnidium monnieri- seeds worked very well.

I like to see my small army, eating the thrips *g*

for explanation:

I had thrips in my small greenhouse, now I don't see any of them because I put two predators in it:

Thripex- predator mites against the thrips- egs and larvae

and Chryson- lacewing larvae against adult thrips

Mycorrhiza fungi also grow perfect in a greenhouse environment. Yesterday I gave Symbivit to all of my pots except the saltbush, manuka, epazote, vaccinium oxycoccos, lepidium peruvianum and cyperus sp.

Symbivit is a mix of many symbiotic fungi and bacteria on fine clay granulate with chitin, keratin, humic acid, seaweed extract and minerals. It sweels up in contact with water and gives the fungi a perfect starting environment.

I also gave it to my newly rooted Mitragyna- and Psychotria- cuttings.

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 2

Awesome mychorrhizal fungi are so cool! I learnt about them while in the US and I was wondering now that Im home in Australia if there were mixes available suitable to the Australian ecosystem? Can I ask about the application of this mix? Is it just applied on the soil surface and watered in? And Im assuming Symbivit is a product name I will do some searches and see what I can find.

The application of Symbivit: make a hole in the soil and stuff it with the granulate, water well. It you repot a plant, you can also put it directly under the roots. I found many mycorrhiza, but this kind seems to be most promising and well researched. I also use Trichoderma harzianum, which is a antagonistic fungus against harmful fungi.

The fungi in Symbivit are ubuquitous and I think they can be found on nearly all continents, but I don't know exactly if they are suitable for Oz.

They are not known to be invasive and should stay in the area around the plant.