The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
inti

Zeolite - in cactus soil mixes. has anyone tried?

Hi,

Has anyone had experience using Zeolite as part of cactus soil mix.

I was chatting fella from Hyrdo supply shop. Sourcing a bag or perilte as I had run out.

I asked if he supplied Diatomite. He didnt but he reccommned "Zeolite"

link below to wikipedia.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeolite

just wondering if anyone has experimented with this as a medium . Or peoples thoughts & opinions.

thnx

trichoshaman

Edited by trichoshaman

I have heard of it before, but I havnt used it.

But it looks pretty good to me due to the micro-porosity which would help the media store air, water, and allow a high cation exchange capacity.

The Aluminum content would assist in nutrient exchange.

What size grading of material was he reccommending?

Have you had a chance to do any testing with the material?

There are a number of tests created by Handrek and Black in their book "Growing media for ornamental plants and turf" which can help determine if this material is up to the standards you require.

If you have trouble finding the book let me know and I will post some of the tests.

Edited by MikeyMagic

I have been using it in all of my mixes ( not trichs ) including seed propagating. My mixes these days has zeolite, attapulgite clay, very course sand and coir or cacti mix. The attapulgite clay I was using ( SpillFIXER ) has changed and you now loose about 50% when you wash it same as most of the cat litters. I have now found where I can buy diatomite in WA so I am changing to that. All of the above I buy from industrial supply companies and they are sold as spill clean up granules. Before using any new product you need to do a soak test for a few day to see how much turns to mud. I always sieve or wash any thing that I use.

You should be able to buy diatomite without any trouble on the east coast

Here are a couple of links

http://www.ausbonsai...39f228ca7603187

http://www.mtsylviad...ucts/kleensorb/

Cheers

Got

I use it in all my mixes these days. The main reason I use it is for it's re-wetting qualities. It really seems to help the mix absorb water after it has dried right out.

My cactus love it.

I did a few side by side trials with seedlings when I first started using it and it has a noticable benefit to growth rates.

I get mine from the supermarket, it's sold as a fat absorber for BBQ's.

When I was investigating it I read somewhere that about 8-10% zeolite is a good starting point. I never measure it, I just eyeball it.

Edited by SallyD
  • Like 2

Can you see any chunks of zeolite left in the mixture after a year or so, or does it dissolve? If it dissolves, then it might be doing the same job that a clayey loam would do, maybe :scratchhead:

Basically a high cation exchange clay mined for horticulture and pool cleaning systems (pool supply places :wink: ).

I do add it to cacti mix, but find it works a lot better for annuals.

thanks for all your thoughts and advice.

the guy at my local hydro supply shop gave a me small bag of zeolite to trial.

i just then sourced my diatomite from "hamiltons cacus nursery " at Llandilo here in Sydney

$20 for a 35kg bag.

i will do a few trial mixing in zeolite with perlite and diatomite.

happy gardening

• Like 2

There's quite a lot of zeolite in the basalt areas of the great dividing range. It looks like white salty crystals lining the air bubbles/pockets within the rock.

I've used that bubbly rock in my orchid mixes and crushed it up in my cactus mixes with good results.

• Like 1

Don't know if you've ever noticed it, but this stuff is everywhere in some places.

post-8867-0-90582400-1357367822_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-45470600-1357367837_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-78305900-1357367852_thumb.jp

Vesicular-basalt-2.jpg

amygdaloidal-basalt.jpg

20081217_IMG_8301_1_480.jpg

Vesicular-basalt-2.jpg

amygdaloidal-basalt.jpg

20081217_IMG_8301_1_480.jpg

• Like 1

Good tip there trichoshaman! Just went out to Hamiltons and got me a bag of diatomite, should last me months!

And couldn't walk past a 30cm T. peru for a measly $15!

• Like 1

Good tip there trichoshaman! Just went out to Hamiltons and got me a bag of diatomite, should last me months!

And couldn't walk past a 30cm T. peru for a measly $15!

dam lucky find !

i would have grabbed it if i saw it too :wink:

i was there just after closing time..ol lady waited for me and sold me the bags.

I quickly asked her if she had any trichos or lophs in stock..she said no. hahaha

it was bloody hot I think she just wanted to go home.

Edited by trichoshaman

Lucky find indeed, especially as I don't think I've ever seen it as picked out as it is right now! Did have one more peru on the bench that I left behind, one is enough for me.

Funny though that I have been going out there for ages and never knew they sold diatomite!

Here's the "score".

IMG_0290.jpg

• Like 1