The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

Edible mushrooms of 2013 - photos, etc

never found an agaricus with so intense redness as sylvaticus.

cool find!

First Birch boletes are coming up - the window with these guys is very small - from pin to old and frazelled stinky in fruit in days. Timing seems everything,.

The Australian National Botanic Gardens in Canberra has a free ID service (plants and fungi)...I used to help process them when I worked there... Send them some photos, spore prints and details...they should get back to you with a positive ID within a week or two.

I've got a few patches of Birch Boletes south of Hobart...seemed to have stopped about a month ago, but heard reports of a Blackmans Bay patch still cropping.

I've had red bleeders from bags of Agaricus from mushroom farms-one or two from a bag at a time, their companions didn't bleed...I didn't eat them-had more than enough mushies, but I did wonder what was going on, an invader, or just a random mushie that accumulated something.

thanks for the info! you know i had several bags of commercial mushroom compost sitting close by for ages till they stopped fruiting and i put the contents into the garden. I have also found some boletes under birch near the library but still dont know if tehy are brown birch or scabrum. They were really mushy like wringing wet sponges and stained just a tad green/blue/grey just under the skin of the cap and the stem where cut. I dried some and they dried really well. I think your birch should be very easy to innoculate - just pop a few seedlings under the tree close by. and yesterday - shaggy parasol! under tea tree near the football field at school.

Edited by seachangeau