The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dionysus

*little* giveaway

hey guys, welcome to dionysus' first little giveaway.

i have a pretty mature A. Melanoxylon tree in my yard with seeds just ripening and a few pods open this morning, it may not be podalyriifolia but some of you might be interested, at least as practice germinating acacias or practice with tissue culture or somethin'.

timber is a nice artisan timber, good for furniture making or instrument making. the tanins (maybe saponins also?) reduce the availability of oxygen for fish and hence can be used to stun fish in a small water body for surface collection, an aboriginal technique.

according to wiki, there is also traces of tryptamine alkaloids in various parts, i think mostly NMT but maybe little DMT, >0.02%. not useful, but still interesting. wiki also states that aboriginal people may have derived some sort of analgesic from it, but, this i have 0 knowledge of and haven't heard mentioned else where and can't be bothered looking at the references, so, take that with a grain of salt.

anyway, seed packets will have a random amount of seed in each, depending on interest, but i will cap the amount of packets i send out to 15 to ensure that everyone gets a decently useable quantity. express interest in the thread so others can count if they will be included and via PM with postal details.

small trades will be accepted, but not at all encouraged or expected. i will pay postage also, of course with such small packages :)

happy holidays everyone, and have a rad new year

dio

• Like 7

thank's mate would love some

• Like 1

cheers me too!!

• Like 1

Yes please, pm'd

• Like 1

Yes please, i would love to give them a go.

• Like 1

hey guys, welcome to dionysus' first little giveaway.

it may not be podalyriifolia

but this is ...

2h2i5n6.jpg

5v6etl.jpg

as an addition, cos i lubs you dionysus, first person to post a germinated Melanoxylon gets a free bag of ~20 seed

• Like 1

nice offer self organising systems :), or, SOS as i will call you now. maybe that will get a few more takers for my freebies :P

edit: lol i feel like an idiot now, meant to write that melanoxylon isn't as interesting as phlebophylla, too many latin words on my tags i was confused lol. didn't even notice when SOS put up that photo etc, until i thought a little about it :P.

podalyrifolia at least looks nice, despite not being useful for much more than that :P im sure a plant or 2 couldn't hurt the winner :P

i really do feel like a jackass now lol

Edited by dionysus

The older ones state that an infusion of the bark is useful for bathing rheumatic joints. Be something with the tannins I reckon.

There had been some claims that the seed was eaten, but this is not true A.sophorae is the main edible seed crop down here (after treatment).

Makes very good clubs and throwing sticks :o

• Like 1

bullit - i still need your details buddy :)

thanks for the extra info waterboy, might need to make myself a nice weapon from it oneday :P

the seeds in a few of the pods this year were a bit shitty? not sure why, but, i think i will have to reduce the amount of packs i send out to 5 to ensure what i send out is useable, so, all those who have expressed interest plus 1 just incase someone else chimes in :P

they'l be in the post tomorrow morning

• Like 1

podalyrifolia at least looks nice, despite not being useful for much more than that :P

?

References from Trout's notes relating to this species:

White, E.P. 1951. “Legumes examined for alkaloids – additions and corrections.” New Zealand J. Sci. & Tech. 33B:54-60.

White, E.P. 1944a. “Isolation of β-phenethylamine from Acacia species.” New Zealand J. Sci. & Tech. 25B:139-142.

Balandrin, M.F. et al. 1978. “Reversed-phase high-pressure liquid chromatography of some tryptamine derivatives.” Journal of Chromatography 157:365-370.

havn't tested this particular tree, but podalyrifolia is definitely an interesting one

Edited by self organising systems

^ i haven't looked into such things for some time, but i remember hearing of folk on other forums trying A/B extracts and things on podalyrifolia and didn't achieve much, it is likely most acacia species have trace alkaloids similar to those interesting ones. i would like to be proven wrong, though, it was one of the first acacias i started to grow when i first got into this hobby, ive always thought i was just misguided by wikipedia or something at the time :P

edit: no need to venture out of the forum, http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3320 has some interesting information on this topic, i cant speak from experience but some of these people seem to

Edited by dionysus

been held up with a few things, ill get them posted out tomorrow while im running a few other errands, sorry for the delay :)

bultit, i still havent got a PM from you

• Like 1

pmd bro