The Corroboree
Bert&Ernie

can't sleep

Just want to know how every one falls asleep as sometimes, like tonight, I have trouble falling asleep :(

So any tips and trick would be great... A few things I can think of is listening to soft music, warm milk and having a swim or cold shower

Cold shower? Never heard that one before.

For me; soft, warm light, lie on my back with fingers locked across my chest with some William Basinski.

• Like 1

I stick the air conditioning on timer for an hour and rug up with blankets. White noise and drop in temperature does it every time.

• Like 2

sit back and smoke a bowl ( of legal herbs of coarse ) :bong:

• Like 1

If its a re-occuring problem for you, go to a health-food store and purchase some of the following herbs for sleepy teas.

I battled with insomnia throughout my teens and these herbs were very helpful.

I'll put them roughly in order of strongest to weakest but a blend will be most effective.

Valerian

Hops (veery bitter, avoid this if you want a nice tasting brew)

Passionflower

Skullcap

Chamomile

Peppermint

Lemonbalm

Also if you can find some lavender oil, 1-2 drops of your pillow can help.

If you swap the cold shower for a hot bath, you'll be away laughing.

Hot milk with some honey is really calming too, good for the point where you get really angry at yourself for being awake.

• Like 3

The trick is to get drowsy first, then the rest is easy... if your body is just too energized or feels uncomfortable then you might want to do some sort of activity before getting into the bed, so that your body feels more relaxed when you lie down, then by allowing the drowsiness to engulf you, sleep will come naturally.

Although a while back I took some melatonin pills and from the experience it brought on that same drowsiness sensation, afterwards sleep was easy.

• Like 1

valium? kava pills

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

Sex

• Like 4

I find chamomile tea makes me really energized like coffee and then I really am wired jaja.....

I eventually did fall asleep but at about 2 or 3 and I Had to get up for work at 5 so I skipped work as I am no good if im sleepy as fuck

I feel terrible for skipping work but there was no way I could go in that state... I FL find valerian helps but it is never quiet enough .... I know when I was prescribed codeine for a sore back I was able to sleep much better.

I think it I do have insomnia but somedays are a lot worse then others

also cannabis or its legal alternatives give me terrible anxiety so that rules them out xD

Edited by jwerta

try having a good stretch before sleep. stretch all major muscle groups. get as close to an aerobics class as you can be bothered with before bed lol. i used to sleep terribly, and start doing a series of stretches before i sleep, holding them static for a minute or so at least, loosening them back out and stretching again a little further. REALLY helps me fall asleep, having all my muscles relaxed and a bit tired, otherwise i just roll around like a moron. on the upside, i can now kick head height when i spa with a mate and am less achey in general :)

might not be as drastic as taking a seroquil before bed or something but getting into a habbit of medicating for sleep isn't something you should want. i find the suggestion of cannabis a little counter productive, as a lot of people find it habbit forming, especialy if worked into a ritual like before bed, when you wake up, after meals etc. lucky you ruled that out anyway :) so i would try a combination of the non-chemical methods. perhaps a brief meditation, followed by a cold shower, followed by a good stretch :)

good luck

• Like 1

Some one once told me that warm milk and honey (the cold pressed honey I like best) combines to form a compound similar to serotonin.

Seems to work to get me drowsy.

• Like 1

even on a strong roll, hard sex will give you some zzzzzzzzzzzz's.

.the dreams will be vivid and lucid-no deep rem sleep- but the momentary diversion of brain patterns will give some respite from the intenseness.

day 3

kit kat's and peaches stayed in and provided nutrition

• Like 2

In my experiences, food, exercise and stress levels have the biggest impacts to my energy levels and ability to get restful sleep. I don't know what you're doing for these at the moment, but just because you haven't changed anything doesn't quite mean that you haven't been changing. :P

There's other things I noticed, such as turning off the PC or TV maybe an hour before you go to bed. Not eating carbohydrates before bed. Using an alarm to wake up early on a day off, and then tiring yourself out on that day.

Anyway, good luck man, I hope you feel better soon. :)

• Like 1

try some sitting meditation, 10 minutes or so before bed. stills the mind which i find is the biggest thing to prevent me drifting off.

hard work during the day and a clear conscience does it for me

hey billio i thought it was hard liquor during the day?? lol!

• Like 1

Just found out that my granddad died last night :(....... do you think that could have possibly been why I was sleeping so crappy the last few days?

If you had a strong connection with him, it very well could be :(

Sorry for your loss.

It seems that our bodies pick up on alot of information that our minds miss.

• Like 2

Thanks.... I think this could be a good thread for anyone having sleep problem..... Maybe it could be an info cetera for why it happens and ways to solve it.

So if anyone is having problems sleeping post it here im sure someone can help :)

Improve your sleep hygiene. Remove light sources from your room, this includes annoying LED's that show an electronic device is still on standby. Don't drink caffeinated beverages after the sun has gone down(if that's your sleeping pattern, adjust as necessary). Do not eat or drink after the sun has gone down.

The main thing you want to do is identify what forms of stress and stimulation you are experiencing before you go to sleep and eliminate them.

• Like 2

Hillbilly when did you last sleep? ;)

I would cover work bases and speak to the boss that your having trouble sleeping and are going to see a doc about it, give em a medical cert and bust yer ass to get back into work. As depressing and hard as insomnia is so can being unemployed.

I think you have to learn how to calm your self down and relax yourself at sleep time. Read a book, learn practice

Meditation, mindfulness get some kava.

Look at your diet.? Having a huge feed at night does the trick for me. The body goes into slow mo on a full belly. Crack out the pots and pans and cook yourself something really nice that you like, cooking isn't hard, following a recipe is a sinch. If a bogan like me can cook may I say fair traditional Vietnamese dishes from ingredients I find at willies you can sushimi a fricken mackerel.

Edit- if it's impacting on you ( which it is I.e a sickie ) speak to your boss. Go to the doc go to a sleep lab thingy which I know nothing about, maybee ur work could pay for it but I'd defo try and claim medical expenses on tax.

I've had a shit of a time changing back and forward over the last and a half years from dayshift to nightshift and back again all over the place, my sleep was almost non eximonths or the first 6months but now I think my body clock has lost any hope of regularity and lets me sleep when I can get it. In saying that I know your pain, good luck :)/>/>/>/> but fuck man if it's work related try claim it so u get compo, rehab with a job at the end of it all. don't get the arse by having sickies. That's a problem compounded. If you wanna quit quit after u get it sorted.

Maybee Eths offer of hard sex may be of some help? I'm unsure what else he meant but it sounded like a hairy rainbow colored grub.With little sticky fluorescent feet.

Good luck man, insomnia produces some bizzare altered states.

How are u now anyways?? Presuming this Post was a long time ago??

Edited by incognito
  • Like 2

yea i do feel altered I guess this could be what ive experienced in the past as ive had hard times sleeping before this is about as bad as it get. and I feel weird all day for weeks because of it..... maybe I will go to a sleep therapist thing like you said :) they might be able to find out what my problem is... as right now I don't think I am getting fully into REM state, i shall try and get some kava not sure where in WA I can get it though.

also something unrelated ive started watching adventure time :) and its really helping cheer me up xD such a crazy cartoon!!!