The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
incognito

Importing ariocarpus seed

I believe they are protected by cites legislation.

Is a phyto certificate all is needed to

Ensure their safe arrival on my doorstep?

I apologise if this question has already been asked, I just want not shite from customs

Or even

Worse getting in shite, losing money, and have thousands of potential pieces of natural art destroyed ?

10 homegrown loph seeds to the best answer lol

Nah seriously 10 Loph seeds to the best answer :) (best I.e correct)

If they are species you either need a permit from environment if importing from a country where they occur with all the pains in the butt that go with the permit.

Of if importing from any other country you need a phyto cert WITH the growers cites rego number (cant remember the term they use off hand, its been a while) without that there is a fair chance ACS will pull it up & give you all kinda grief.

If they are hybrids then its all good CITES is only for protected species not man made creations.

The following spp are permitted imports, plus there are a few local sources as well

Ariocarpus agavoides

Ariocarpus bravoanus

Ariocarpus elongatus

Ariocarpus fissuratus

Ariocarpus furfuraceus

Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus

Ariocarpus lloydii

Ariocarpus retusus

Ariocarpus retusus subsp. trigonus

Ariocarpus scapharostrus

Ariocarpus strobiliformis

Ariocarpus trigonus

lol shortly was just thinking about you, dont know if this would be any help incog

Edited by bigred82

That looks like the aqis import list red? Aqis just make sure they aren't full of bugz or dirt

customs administer CITES on behalf of environment Oz or whatever the new departmental name is this month

Edited by shortly

Hey incognito,

Customs will be more than happy to let your Ariocarpus seeds in the country & as Bigred said there allowed by customs. There is a catch though! Ariocarpus seed are on the CITES list 1 & 2 & are only allowed if they come with proof of purchase & from a registered CITES nursery.

I have just spent the last 2 months trying to get my Ario seeds back from CITES in Canberra. Customs will tell you there fine but if they find them they quickly hand them on to CITES. Good luck

Have you already ordered them?

If they are hybrids then its all good CITES is only for protected species not man made creations.

^^ Not really, CITES still wanted the paperwork before they would give back my Ario retusus cv Purple tokuy (Euro cult) & Ario lloydii cv Tuhami Grey (jap cult), The reason they still needed the paperwork, they told me " We are not cactus experts & can not tell what kind of Ariocarpus it is by looking at the seed, we need the paperwork to confirm." They told me if it is a species on the CITES list then it NEEDS the paperwork & they will confiscate it even if it is a cv, as they can't tell.

This really pissed me of when they first told me, but when I settled down & gave it some thought it makes sense as someone could send endangered seed labeled with cv after it & expect it to get through. If its on the CITES list weather its a cv, hybrid or cross, get the paperwork & save yourself the dramas.

Cheers

jox

Edited by Jox

Thanks for the info jox I haven't ordered yet :) was going to go through kohres. If anyone can pm me details of sellers of other rare and obscure ario seed I would appreciate it. My mission for 2013 is to master ariocarpus propagation and grafting.

Also chasing rare and obscure jap astro hybrid seed.

garrrrrr first i need the money, honey!!!!!!

its all speculation until i have that cold hard ca$h that sellers like to have ;)

zelly you have excellent fresh seed and you where a pleasure to deal with, i hope to again WHEN i have the cash ready to go ;)

and yes, 2013 is the year incognito MASTERS the ariocarpus genus :)

Hi All,

(Sorry, to bring up an old thread)

Has the legislation/ process around this changed at all? - I've tried to source some  ario seeds locally with no luck (Kots, Godzilla, Scapaharo and a handful of others.)

I note a seller on Ebay has a few of the seeds I'm after, and sell phyto certs too. Would this be sufficient to get the seeds in? (I've had a few seeds confiscated in the last 12 months).

Thanks!