The Corroboree
slice

Lumberjack origins?

I have a Lumberjack X Juul's Giant en route to me, hopefully it get's here sooner rather than later and I can get a picture up :)

• Like 1

My Lumberjack x Juules. Grown from Zelly seed, de-grafted and now on own roots.

post-11261-0-82362600-1387040533_thumb.j

post-11261-0-82362600-1387040533_thumb.jpg

post-11261-0-82362600-1387040533_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My Lumberjack x Juules. Grown from Zelly seed, de-grafted and now on own roots.

attachicon.gifljxjg.jpg

This will be one of the best crosses ever, gotta feelin'... it has a certain peruvianoid look to my eyes...

Edited by slice

Hi, I bought this cactus as "real" peruvianus, but it looks like "lumberjack", what you think?peruvianus.jpg

• Like 1

I finally got my Lumberjack X Juul's in the mail... It was a puddle of green goo :(

Is it winter where you are?

altazar, it's kind of hard to ID from that one picture. If you have a picture of the whole plant it could be better identified.

Edited by hostilis

altazar, it's kind of hard to ID from that one picture. If you have a picture of the whole plant it could be better identified.

hostilis, here is a new photo. I've bought this cactus here in Germany at botania.info. Thanks!

peruvianus2a.jpg

Edited by altazar
  • Like 1

L00k... a 30+ year old Lumberjackus cross

Has the LJ clone been around that long?!?! smh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trichocereus-Bridgesii-Peruvianus-Hybrid-cv-Lumberjackus-San-pedro-cactus-/201039515227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecee38e5b

neat looking plant for sure

I hate the bullshit that comes with selling plants to strangers. That isn't even the Lumberjack, but just a regular T. bridgesii.

~Michael~

• Like 2

A week before listing it as bridgesii x peruvianus hybrid cv. Lumberjackus, the seller had listed the same plant as bridgesii cv. Centipede with the following description:

You are bidding on a Trichocereus Bridgesii cv. "Centipede" cutting. My cultivar is named as such is because when started digging the bush, there is a BIG poisonous green centipede guarding the plant, which is why it is named "Centipede".

from the auction:

The one you are going to get is approximately 5-6 inches long, mid-cut of various thickness (2.5 - 3.5 inches).

For $35.00 each.

I'm tempted to buy something from the seller..... :wink:

hi house, yeh it was me posting those auctions up. and yes, i found it in Temecula, California on a horse ranch. I supposed it was there for decades by looking at the stem. Just to clear the "lumberjackus" category up: Here the comparison

Michael's Lumberjack,

12663432044_f16f12b5df_o.jpg

which becomes this (nitrogen)

july19th2009015.jpg

and this (solartea)

12662814075_7d84409da6_o.jpg

12662810925_f386884041_o.jpg

which later becomes this(zelly)

Ljack_ColossusDSC_0302.jpg

and now, Another lumberjack (Neonaut), which he is actively involve in this forum 8 years ago, dont know if he still here or not, which looks exactly, like 99% similar to mine

joescacti013.jpg

joescacti009.jpg

joescacti014.jpg

normal_plants_001.jpg

garden6-8-06024.jpg

2-11-07019.jpg

and his young pups

2-11-07017.jpg

Trichocereus4-10-07007.jpg

and here is Trout's Lumberjack in his San Pedro and Related Cacti (if you are him, please have my permission to use the image in advance, thanks)

12663743913_b103856ccb_o.jpg

and here is Trout's "regular" bridgesii

T_bridgesii_buds_JPG.jpg

and

T_bridgesii_flowering_01_JPG.jpg

and

T_bridgesii_flowering_03_JPG.jpg

but the stems on these are not nearly as thick as mine, as you can see,

and now, for some bridgesii i found in Mission Viejo a year ago. This one is aged and have a big stump when i found it. It's is grown on clay soil as found all over california, except mine, that means its the same in Temecula where i found mine, but with a lot more rocks in the soil than imagine

12663832555_9642ff2cff_o.jpg

And the "supposed to be" Lumberjackus compared to "mission viejo" with the thickest stem of the clump

12663874965_c9c831ddec_b.jpg

top cut

12664014543_924493c848_b.jpg

three arms branch

12664496014_257fd7d488_b.jpg

tree trunk

12664367024_a6feae4459_b.jpg

pups

12663909685_d8879e4fbc_b.jpg

12664065953_6ebd96c8b4_b.jpg

pups comparision between Bridgesii "Mission viejo" vs "supposed to be" Lumberjackus

12663964215_3a62684983_b.jpg

Compared to Bridgesii Monstrose "Altman"

12664395983_4117691257_b.jpg

Compared to optimally-grown "PC" pachanoi from CV nursery in Anaheim

12664291685_b17a0f22f1_b.jpg

Compared to Zircon's Glaucus, mistakenly sold under the name peruvianus

12664286105_18ab8c2bef_b.jpg

loosing spines

12664564214_e33229a471_b.jpg

Johnny (MACrogonus) Hairy

12664103455_c8d3b3849a_b.jpg

Top view (yikes)

12664211403_b911f39a08_b.jpg

Variation of Stems along Spines of the same plant (except the Mission Viejo, Can you guess which is which? HINT: 2 cuttings)

12664303643_6293bb9ac2_b.jpg

And this is the Lumberjack bought a year ago from Solartea ( i guess its the same stock from Michael)

12664193943_97aaa16755_b.jpg

QUIZ TIME: Can you tell which is which?

12664686454_1ffc7b5875_b.jpg

Conclusion: Mine looks like Trout's first pic in this post except mine has longer spines and thicker, like a bridgesii on steroid, which make it seems like it's a hybrid of Bridgesii and San Pedro , not peruvianus, since peruvianus has more spines. Also notice that the original guy who bought the cactus from a Lumberjack store in Cordova mentioned that " what looked to me like a pachanoi but with wicked big spines" and that "Like a fat bridg or a peruvianus with less spines per pad. It's a fast grower, but doesn't seem to grow as tall as a pachanoi".

and my Bridgesii garden bought 4 years ago from ebay TropicalCactus

12664486793_09467d1650_b.jpg

12664492033_ecfe6354b6_b.jpg12664813304_ac96c9b393_b.jpg

12664426755_7f15cee039_b.jpg

To conclude, I know what i'm talking about when i'm talking about Echinopsis lageniformis, so heory if chu want 1 otherwise supplies wont gonna last (forever) LMAO

• Like 1

also i notice that the lumberjackus from solartea when optimally big, doesn't match up to those of zelly eventhou he is from Chico, which is not that far from Anaheim ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Any input?

Mine and the next four appear to be the Lumberjack. The small photo of Trout's and the one further down from Solaritea appear to be the Lumberjack, but are a little difficult to tell because of their poor or immature growth. The others look like straight T. bridgesii sorts. I suspect the Lumberjack is a T. bridgesii x T. peruvianus. I do like that "Hairy" one.

~Michael~

• Like 1

Mine and the next four appear to be the Lumberjack. The small photo of Trout's and the one further down from Solaritea appear to be the Lumberjack, but are a little difficult to tell because of their poor or immature growth. The others look like straight T. bridgesii sorts. I suspect the Lumberjack is a T. bridgesii x T. peruvianus. I do like that "Hairy" one.

~Michael~

in your opinion, what do you think about the hairy one?

also i notice that the lumberjackus from solartea when optimally big, doesn't match up to those of zelly eventhou he is from Chico, which is not that far from Anaheim ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Any input?

Solaritea's looks to be shade grown and I know he does feed them regularly.

Zelly's looks more full sun grown and he tends to neglect his plants so it's more hard grown.

Solaritea's looks to be shade grown and I know he does feed them regularly.

Zelly's looks more full sun grown and he tends to neglect his plants so it's more hard grown.

i was thinking of that but anyway, thanks

Any input?

Chico CA is a few miles north of Sacramento CA and Anaheim is 30-35 miles SW SE of Los Angeles, and according to google, its 495 miles between the two.

And yes, I have two of neonauts Lumberjacks, in the ground. I got them in such poor shape they are just now starting to fully develop. One is around 6' with 3 fat new pups, the other has two 3' stems.

hi house, yeh it was me posting those auctions up. and yes, i found it in Temecula, California on a horse ranch. I supposed it was there for decades by looking at the stem.

I think what galls most people is certain people are more interested in making a sale on ebay than factually representing that which they are selling.

Do you know for a fact the plant in Temecula is an LJ?

You just made that up based on your observations?

A week before listing it as bridgesii x peruvianus hybrid cv. Lumberjackus, the seller had listed the same plant as bridgesii cv. Centipede with the following description:

You are bidding on a Trichocereus Bridgesii cv. "Centipede" cutting. My cultivar is named as such is because when started digging the bush, there is a BIG poisonous green centipede guarding the plant, which is why it is named "Centipede".

Why would you call it a bridgesii one week and the next week call it something different?

You couldn't sell a 6" bridge cut named 'centipede' for $35 on ebay, but "Lumberjackus" just seems to fly off the shelf, :wink: .

To conclude, I dont know what i'm talking about when i'm talking about Echinopsis lageniformis, so heory if chu want 1 otherwise supplies wont gonna last (forever) LMAO

No worries, I'm sure you'll just find another mother plant to plagiarize

If one description doesn't sell, keep changing it until you find something that does!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&_trksid=p2047675.l2569&rt=nc&item=201039515227

Edited by zelly

in your opinion, what do you think about the hairy one?

Well I think it pretty awesome, but nothing points towards it being anything other than T. bridgesii. Could be genotype if it stays that way consistently, but it's probably just phenotype. Have any pictures beyond the clippings?

Just curious...you're not Fire or Earth Erowid of Erowid.com I take it? If not then you may be unintentionally misrepresenting yourself. Hopefully you aren't doing so intentionally. Regardless, if your not Fire or Earth Erowid your name should be changed.

And I'm with zelly about the representation of your "Lumberjack." Bad form, intentional or not.

~Michael~

• Like 1

Chico CA is a few miles north of Sacramento CA and Anaheim is 30-35 miles SW SE of Los Angeles, and according to google, its 495 miles between the two.

And yes, I have two of neonauts Lumberjacks, in the ground. I got them in such poor shape they are just now starting to fully develop. One is around 6' with 3 fat new pups, the other has two 3' stems.

I think what galls most people is certain people are more interested in making a sale on ebay than factually representing that which they are selling.

Why would you call it a bridgesii one week and the next week call it something different?

You couldn't sell a 6" bridge cut named 'centipede' for $35 on ebay, but "Lumberjackus" just seems to fly off the shelf, :wink: .

If one description doesn't sell, keep changing it until you find something that does!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&_trksid=p2047675.l2569&rt=nc&item=201039515227

Hard to tell, when the young and the old plant can be very different in different environment. I still do believe this plant is as old as the times when there exist a clone named LJ down in cordova, and if you think it's easy to find an old cultivar in someone backyard, then keep hybriding seeds and sell them lmao

Well I think it pretty awesome, but nothing points towards it being anything other than T. bridgesii. Could be genotype if it stays that way consistently, but it's probably just phenotype. Have any pictures beyond the clippings?

Just curious...you're not Fire or Earth Erowid of Erowid.com I take it? If not then you may be unintentionally misrepresenting yourself. Hopefully you aren't doing so intentionally. Regardless, if your not Fire or Earth Erowid your name should be changed.

And I'm with zelly about the representation of your "Lumberjack." Bad form, intentional or not.

~Michael~

Ok, i take that as my fault. That's why i am here for inputs. And if it turned out not the lumberjack as i thought, then i will keep it and take it old name "Centipede". Nah, i took this name half intentionally when i actively foruming erowid.com

~Michael~

there changed, if you persistent got irriated by so :P

By the way, i'm very transparent on what i sell and i usually updates the pics i'm selling right away, approx 6 pics, unlike someone who hybridize their seeds and include like 1 or at most 2 pics in their listing, which make it very murky of what types they're selling.

thirdy, i started my bids at 1 dollars

and fortly, i change it from centiped to LJ in 1 day due to my thinking process of what constitute LJ

by the way, i changed the shipping term from $10 to FREE, if you are irritated by that. Gosh, i wish i had big cultivar and make money out of seeds instead