The Corroboree
slice

Lumberjack origins?

Mine is growing in just a small amount of direct sunlight each day here - but it's got this killer blue-green color going and heavy glaucus

IMG_2764_zps46581db7.jpg

IMG_2765_zps2d64581f.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice nitro, this may sound a bit strange but it looks like a cross between Eileen and psycho0, -a cross that begs to be made here in OZ.

• Like 2

Here's my lumberjack, I got it from nitrogen but after 2 years of stalling this season it started bursting with new growth

This is 6 months worth of growth, I can easily say it's a fast grower.

post-6382-0-08149500-1418150470_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-08149500-1418150470_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-08149500-1418150470_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Why has everyone shortened it to Lumberjack?

'Lumberjackus' is an awesome name, it sounds like it was named after a male stripper.

• Like 3

First post says it was coined as Lumberjackius but was promptly changed to Lumberjackus.

The latter really does sound better, IMO.

• Like 3

Yah it was "Lumberjackus" for many years up until fairly recently when some people have been calling it just "Lumberjack" which IMO isn't nearly as cool of a name..

Regardless, "Lumberjackus" (briefly "Lumberjackius") is the correct name and the one given to it by its founder..

Lol, I will continue to call it "Lumberjackus" regardless of any current and future trends to shorten the name to the rather bland sounding "Lumberjack"..

Edited by nitrogen
  • Like 1

Tired of writing long ass names out on hybrid seed packets, I'm getting kinda fond of LJack.

• Like 2

any way of gettn a little label/bag printer for that maybe fella?

http://www.brother.co.uk/labelling dnno whos best out there, but was thinking of the kind of things on this uk site in the past for plant labels but i cant find a font that i prefer to my own handwriting..

I'm sure there is slightly more overbrimming with the latest gadgets than here though..

or what about a small version of the paint thrower? ....like they use to batch and date mark anything from eggs

egg-bot-label-printer.jpg

to bottles of baby nurofen

still shorten to Ljack or LJ lol to save ink perhaps

but a lil printer might save the R.S.I in your wrist, dnno if you call it repetitive strain injury over there

but is what we name it here..

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

will always be LJ in my hed... im not too terribly fond of the jackious suffix eever...
but me and LJ we're close like that i guess cause we're both sexy mutts

I propose that we all abandon written language and begin communicating in brief grunts :P

• Like 4

i think clicks would also be beneficial ... and it's another communication method with prescedent

....also viking bellowing ...

Grunts

thats really all a girl needs in order to get pollinated! :P
and I suppose clicks would work too with the internet and all

• Like 1

i feel three tribes forming already *bags the validus as the tribal sacrement*

Hey Nitro dyu think this has any co lumbo jackers in it? *grabs wheel n steers back to topic avenue

post-14443-0-06606500-1418317937_thumb.jpost-14443-0-80726700-1418317948_thumb.jpost-14443-0-78692900-1418317961_thumb.jpost-14443-0-62557900-1418317998_thumb.jpost-14443-0-53955000-1418318004_thumb.jpost-14443-0-84892900-1418318015_thumb.j

... starting to wonder if its an early lumbo /peruv/bridge hybrid ... and since I'm going all detective on it's case

I named it Lt' Columbo temporarily :innocent_n: , might add the word jackass at the end of the label .. hmmmm

post-14443-0-31709800-1418325710_thumb.j

-translated by viking bellow .vik

DSC00120.JPG

DSC00122.JPG

DSC00124.JPG

DSC00125.JPG

DSC00126.JPG

DSC00137.JPG

DSC00170.JPG

DSC00120.JPG

DSC00122.JPG

DSC00124.JPG

DSC00125.JPG

DSC00126.JPG

DSC00137.JPG

DSC00170.JPG

I love how blue that thing is. Crazy, almost neon blue.

• Like 1

thank you kindly , it was an absolute bargain too , cheapest one all year probably

i think it was only a tenner or thereabouts inc shipping...

hmmm yep 1st big blue macro was 6 euros but shippn the thing was about 20

, ~I'm anxious for this one to be a fast grower/flowerer

is definitely a "gaze at for hours" magnet

oh yeah i forgot to say, it was that colour and the tip and spine colour that had me double taking nitro's

balcony/indoor LJ all day pretty much :)

-was good sunshine for cactus photoing today

mustve just missed nitro

at some point in the future I guess that his eye could be borrowed and hopefully see if any detectable LJ insemination occured :innocent_n:

• Like 1

That is a nice cactus there but it's impossible to say if it has LJ genes in it.. There have been very few LJ hybrids so far as I know - most have been done by Zelly.. A couple by Mel/Vin back in 2012 as well.. A guy on the nook a few years ago did PC pachanoi x LJ also, though don't know that those seeds were distributed too widely..

• Like 1

I was kinda hoping it may have been one of zellys first that managed to make it as seeds over here

, would be like , whoah small world :) , or if it may be signs of a uk LJ breeder to track down and buy seeds from

if not just a cool cacteer to reassure me that uk can still rawk fr cactus :innocent_n:

I'd really like to think it was a lumberjackusXzelidus or the other way round or maybe one of his peru/ bridge hybrids

but looking at zellys lumbo in full hardcore sun

is v much further from my cutting than looking at yours in a bit of shade , seems only the spination differs to that one, and there's not much down bend to em and theyre mainly what i think yall call "strong centrals"

but some definitely show a tad of warping down about a cm or so from the fluffeole

it was particularly that blue lagoony alien green gorgeous colour and the bright yellow spines that had me guess this direction.. since lol yours is such a sexy bastid too..

and I know the best I got for now is hunches, guesses and whatever I can learn from threads here

thanks for hav'n a look Nitro

...if ya read this Zelly , what dyu reckon mate? possibly one of your early hybrids?

maybe fertilised by a lumberjackus or validus close by?

.if ya read this Zelly , what dyu reckon mate? possibly one of your early hybrids?

maybe fertilised by a lumberjackus or validus close by?

nothin wrong with wishful thinking! lol

2012 was the first yr my lumberjack flowered, pretty much the same for the validus looker. Highly doubtful any of those genes in your plant; the spines look like they have a bit of cuzco genes

and fwiw- I've a small baggie of Ljack x validus seeds from 2012, maybe 40-50 seeds left

• Like 1

Thanks fella

I'm still learning re: cuzco so will definitely be staring at these spines a long time , hopefully long enough to see cuzco in other things where present :)

one hope/thought went down a knuthianus path ... and I frget who I read it from now, but I'm sure they said knuthianus was a cuzcoensis type... also macrogonus came to mind but the more i read you guys say it , the more it sinks in; about bridgesii making some seriously stunning plants too!

might rename it to T' bag now ... x] cuz theres a tea bag that needs brewing in my cupboard

closest i got to the lumberjackus so far is your validusXLJ sowed again about a week n a half-ish ago

post-14443-0-48213200-1418498820_thumb.j

I pretty much toasted the first round in summer but luckily held back a few for "just in case"s reload

would love to try for offspring of "the other way round" pollination if its got a chance at sprouting

also some of the seeds i sowed last round seem to be doing better this time

i dnno if its them having over-summered?

or maybe a few that were late sowings; was why they faired less well than this time round...

maybe its the new microwave ?

anyhoo

look fwd to more scrumpscious piccies of the Lumberjackus struttn their stuff like masters of the universe

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

:scratchhead: I think I can make out the constellation Orion

:P

• Like 1

post-146-0-01440300-1418509332_thumb.jpg

post-14443-0-48213200-1418498820.jpg

post-14443-0-48213200-1418498820.jpg

• Like 2