The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Paul Stamets in Australia - I think I wet my pants a little

I just noticed that Paul Stamets is one of the speakers for the uplift festival in Byron Bay in december. I've wanted to bring him to oz for about a decade, but when I last tried about 10 years ago it was logistically and financially out of our reach.

Oh dear, now I have to go to some hippiefest to see him again, LOL.

• Like 8

Wow, awesome. I'm not really sure what else to say.

Mycotastic!

:):wub: :wub: B) B) :worship: :worship: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer::worship: :worship: B) B) :wub: :wub: :)

Edited by shruman
  • Like 3

awesome,

"breaks piggy bank to count spare change ......"

:huh:

Meh piggybank... check out ebay if you need a kidney...

• Like 3

awesome guy he has helped me immensely he is the king of shrooms

Edited by bigred82
  • Like 2

The herb Dubosia is most efficacious for those with weakness of the bladder. (OK, I'm just jealous)

Edited by Pat Uri
  • Like 1

Touch him for me :)

I think he better get an avo on bocky ;)

• Like 2

Touch him for me :)

I think he better get an avo on bocky ;)

Dude. That's awesome. That just made my morning.

I love Bocky. The legend taught me how to get in touch with my feelings again and not be afraid to hug people. Plus he has a TV in his spa :)

• Like 1

I bet he did. I bet he did.

• Like 1

I bet he did. I bet he did.

I still know his address off by heart and will never forget the day we all spent there and how much fun we had. And then Rick signed my digital Volcano for me!

I hear he is a real...fun-gi.

• Like 4

Paul Stamets popped into Koda Phytorium a few days ago, chatted to our staff and signed a few books. Sadly i wasn't there :(

does he ever do Australian courses i know he does them in America but sadly me and America dont get along

None so far. I don't think he really does courses outside the USA, but he does get involved in projects that he likes. There are some mycoremediation projects outside the USA where he seems to get involved. If you're just looking for a course in sterile culture then I doubt he'll bother. You should be aware that even in the USA the course is mostly run by his staff, something he can't do here. He is the top person in his field and the fees he charges for commercial work are well in line with that reputation and standing, but well outside the budgets of pretty much anyone here. Last time I checked he charged many thousands of dollars per day for professional work, but this is offset by the many free things he does for the community. I think to get him for free [or at least cheap] you have to make it interesting for HIM, not for you.

I wonder if anyone spoke to him about doing other conferences here in Oz.

Surely he would find an event like EGA, or something along the same lines, interesting.

I did and so did a couple of other people. Basically we've wanted to bring him over for quite a few years, but we know the rules. For commercial events he charges full fees [ie maybe 20K for a weekend], for purely scientific conferences he charges nothing if he is interested in them. Everything else falls in between. To get the best deal one would need an established event that is aimed at improving the world, that can accommodate some science, and that is known to his friends. 10 years ago i was told that he pretty much only comes to shamanism events if his friends are there. So EB and EGA worked for years to make sure some of his friends have enjoyed their stays in australia, so that when the time comes he will be happy to come and the price tag will be affordable.

Paul does a talk every year at Hollyhock retreat on Cortes Island in Canada. I think the talks probably came first, but it also helps that both he, and his buddy Andy Weil own property on Cortes. So perhaps if you want Paul to be a regular in Oz, just find an amazing eco-retreat on a secluded tiny rain-forested island with old growth trees, the fungi he loves most, and property for sale, and I'm sure then you wouldn't even have to pay him to do yearly talks. I bet the poor guy isn't too excited about being treated as an eco-celebrity, he's amazingly humble and kind in person.

Anyways, does anyone have a copy of his talk in Oz? Please PM me if you've got anything. Even his own staff have no idea what he was doing here!