The Corroboree

Sure, so where's your link, Proust?

Here's a Halif / Psylo collaboration that we played around with a month or two ago.

https://soundcloud.com/tk-stone/the-teacher-tepalom-tk-stone

Hey! That's awesome, guys! Reminds me of late Soft Machine stuff, post Robert Wyatt. I can almost hear an atonal soprano sax solo about to start towards the end!

My noodles are no where near as accomplished or sophisticated as that, but here are the few that I've put up on Soundcloud. (There are more, but none that I feel are finished yet.)

https://soundcloud.com/aieamits

Edited by Marcel

the overlay on the kaossilator is a good idea. still, bit fiddly i'm guessing

and yeah you answered your own question - you can't separate the loops, once they are added to the bank that's it. which is a major limitation in taking the device from the toy category to the real instrument one.

i find it useful as a "drum machine" as i've got nothing else to produce electronic beats with

i've barely used it for recording, not because it doesnt sound good tho...i think it's because i feel dirty, how easy it is to play some epic sounding scales with no skill at all - but maybe i'd feel the same with computer generated scales? im not sure..

but i will admit that someone could make a track entirely out of the kaossilator and it could be amazing and most people would have no idea what you used, unless they are familiar with the device themselves...

sounds like the KP would've been more up my alley

great tune there, Stone vs Tepalom!

Marcel heard it callingfor a sax solo - but i thought it begged for some vocals actually! i think some of the really nice chord changes made me think of a nick cave style thing

wow got some great song-seeds there Marcel! would love to hear them grow

speaking of nick cave, the first track almost sounds like his voice slowed down :)

wow got some great song-seeds there Marcel! would love to hear them grow

My thoughts exactly!

In particular, I'd love to hear the track 'Nina' developed into a full song...

• Like 1

Somewhere for the muso types to compare length, breadth and accoutrements. I've been playing various guitars for about 19 years now and teaching for a few years for some extra cash or barter. Started writing with ableton about 3 years ago, have a few songs in my mastering pipeline which I'll have to get my ass into gear to finish so they can be degraded by the harsh light of public scrutiny.

Equipment wise I am currently playing a ovangkal baden a-style acoustic, yamaha ae500 semiacoustic, a yidaki, halfway through constructing a diddley-bo, cigar stompbox and lagerphone. I use a novation launchpad and touchosc<<<huge recommend, particularly with apple devices as the android version is stupidly limited, will save you an almost infinite amount of cash<<< for my electronic production through ableton with m4l, roland ua25ex to handle my in'n'out and some AKG K271MkII cans.

Wishlist is for some nice monitor speakers to annoy my neighbours/missus with, something with keys probs from Akai, arduino for heightened pretentiousness, a bass guitar as it's been years since I've owned one and an income so I can pay for the software that i currently 'demo'.

I'm trying to get a bit more experience mastering various genres atm so if anyone has a tune they want to spice up let me know, I'll be happy to work on it for a small trade or donation, i'll upload a before and after soon to show what I can do.

Marcel your a dark mofo, push through and you'll have some quality compositions :worship: (or be mo' po-mo and release a whole album of minute long intros called "Marcel's Minutes")

• Like 1

x

Edited by Psylo

Post more music, people ! We all love soundcloud amateur recordings, no matter how bad or incomplete you think they are.

Amen to that!

I've been really impressed with some of the stuff I've heard from forum members... most of the stuff, actually.

i play musik tha old fashion way lol

9 piece maple red DWdrum kit with paiste alpha cymbals <> 18,19 22 power crashes 22 power ride,, 20 china, tama wareware ,ironcodra 900 double kick ! rolands midi trigger for samples, also have roland electric pads mixed in the kit!!!

7 string ibanez gtar 4 noizes! got a 8 track mixer 4 recordingz!!!!!

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

I dont know if electric pads and midi triggers qualify as "old fasioned". sounds like a pretty cool setup though

What sampler are you using with your midi triggers?

Edited by eatfoo

yeah i meant i hit them with sticks [old fashion] i use a d4 drum module for samples .

x

Edited by Psylo

It's an interesting question, and it's been the backbone of art theory for the last 150 years. I know that dirty feeling that comes from tech aided music making, but I take a Barthesian perspective on these things. Whether something qualifies as music or not (or art, or literature, or whatever) has nothing to do with the author. The audience is what makes it music. (And audience can be as simple as the maker.)

I used to live in New York many years ago and for a while I worked as a photographer's assistant. I'd occassionaly work for this guy who spent his whole life refining an elaborate multiple exposure technique that meant he could layer 6 or so seperate images onto one sheet of film, all in camera. The images were disgusting and boring, but that's almost beside the point. The agonising thing was how every time he presented or exhibited these images he would barrage his audience with the fact that this was a complicated technique that didn't use photoshop. Did anyone care? No. Anyone could replicate this technique on photoshop in 20 seconds. To hold on so frantically to the technical component of your art is somewhat delusional. Especially when that technique was THE ONLY thing of note in this guy's images.

It's similar with music. It might not be as fun to make music when the machine makes it super easy, and it certainly does rob the ego out of the music, but I'm hard pressed to agree that that fact alone doesn't make it music if the listener thinks that it is.

• Like 2

The Kaosliator isnt meant to be a one stop shop for all your music needs. I dont use the internal sounds very often if at all now days, what gets a good using is the loop banks wich i populate from external audio. While most of what i do wouldnt count as music to most, is amusing to me. Layering Zero input feedback loops can sound pretty cool with a simple muffled base kick sample in the bg.

As far as the "artist" and "musician" thing. I personally dont think of myself as either. I started collecting this gear as a healthy hoby and dont really feel the need to validate my output by asserting that what im doing is "art" or even important.

Bullit that sound module puts out some cool sounds from what i just heard online.

Edited by eatfoo

x

Edited by Psylo

great tune there, Stone vs Tepalom!

Thanks!

I've been revisiting some old Boards of Canada albums and I guess it inspired me to play around with some rough cutting up of breaks and samples.

This is hardly groundbreaking or polished, but I kind of like the roughness of it....

https://soundcloud.com/tepalom/wowzers

x

Edited by Psylo
  • Like 2

x

Edited by Psylo

Thanks!

I've been revisiting some old Boards of Canada albums and I guess it inspired me to play around with some rough cutting up of breaks and samples.

This is hardly groundbreaking or polished, but I kind of like the roughness of it....

https://soundcloud.com/tepalom/wowzers

this track is great man! really nice vibe, could easily pass as a long lost BoC b-side i reckon hehe

• Like 1

I feel like i need to chill out for a while after watching that video. While his points were somewhat valid, WHY DOES HE HAVE TO SPEAK SO FAST

• Like 2

If that fellow in the videos is me, then this is Psylo:

• Like 1

lol

Wow! Ajna! That Outer Space one is awesome! What's your background, artistically speaking?

thanks a lot marcel

nothing professional or acedemic. bit of a 'jack of all crafts' if u will

have dabbled in most forms of art at different times, but music has always been at my core

it's my life-blood, sound is my religion haha

i've played guitar in a hardrock/psych jam band, but it fell apart as soon as gigging and 'formalities' came into it

so not a particularly noteworthy background, but hopefully more for the future, with at least a couple of self-released albums in the pipelines :)

Yeah, I really like Innermost-Outerspace. It's not easy to create a compelling soundworld.

I like some of Robert Rich's stuff and Steve Roach, but I find there's a fine line between creating a distinct soundscape which can gently draw the listener in and create a trance-like state, while avoiding making layers of shapeless textures which make the listener zone out. I feel that those two artist have been perhaps a bit too prolific.

Your track, Ajna, hits the right spot for me. I can tune into it without effort, but not zone out completely.