The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tronica

Global Drug Survey - released today

Fairfax is a partner this year so the survey is likely to attract 1000s of Australians and will be the largest survey of Australian drug use ever conducted.

So, have your say!

Here's the Herald article.

And here's the survey.

(PS. some interesting modules this year on a pleasure index of different drugs as well as questions on online buying/selling)

Nevermind!

Edited by Khala

How can you trust Fairfax?

Won't they use the information to prevent drug reforms?

im half way through it seems a bit personal could they log my ip address

If its online ¿ definitely.

Why tell the damn enemy anything at all while they are still targeting us in their drug war. ? :BANGHEAD2:

bit like the nazi's giving out a survey as to who is Jewish really isn't it?

• Like 2

im half way through it seems a bit personal could they log my ip address

Probably, but I wouldn’t worry about it to much, since you’ve probably already got a surveillance team watching your house, due to the thread you made the other day about hydroponic equipment.

Anyway, I did the survey, I don’t really understand peoples paranoia either. I mean if Fairfax are going to pick apart the survey and use it as propaganda for there own agenda, then wouldn’t they do that anyway, whether there involved in the survey or not?

Edited by jabez

pretty sure there's easier ways to track you than sifting through 15000+ survey responses,

so you think police have the funding, time and manpower to put surveillance on me over a horticultural post " poppy cock"

lol at page one:

TELL US ABOUT THE DRUGS YOU USE

very to the point...it's also what i like to ask people when i meet them. they tend to think i am a bit strange.. can't imagine why

edit: the age range is pretty stupid...i mean im sure most people used most drugs after they were 12, but surely it wouldnt be that hard to include all ages just in case. conversely, i doubt many people first use a drug at age 110. 2 stars

edit 2: one of the questions asks about experience with a certain drug, and the only possible answers are

good buzz

felt sick

no effect

sought emergency treatment

...other?

Edited by frank

LOL they've capped the meth price at $100/gram

It must be cheap as shit over there in the UK, pity it's closer to ten times that amount in aus.

edit: then it caps the buying amount of cannabis to 20g, what a strangely arbitrary number, would've expected it to go upto an ounce.

Edited by Distracted

pretty sure there's easier ways to track you than sifting through 15000+ survey responses,

A couple of simple database queries, written in a matter of minutes, would yield the desired survey results within seconds

eg: SELECT * FROM surveyRespondees WHERE drugUsed = 'Hydro Cannabis' and IPAdresss LIKE '%xxxx.yyy.zzz%'

If the survey data were to be used for this purpose, it would be very easy to track people down.

At the end of the survey it asks for the first letter of your first name, your DOB and the first letter of your maiden name. You don't have to give them that information but that would make it easier still to find you.

Hey folks - just so you know, Global Drug Survey does not collect your IP address. Obviously the researchers cannot be responsible for what ISPs or governments through mandatory reporting from ISPs are collecting. If you are concerned about that, I would suggest using Tor to mask your IP address. In fact I would recommend learning about Tor if you are saying anything that could be incriminating while online.

Ahhhh I did a lot of checking through the survey but had not picked up the mistake around methamphetamine. Last year it was cocaine - it only went up to $150+ per gram. Of course everyone in Australia said $150+. Just a function of the survey being originally designed in UK and our drug prices being soooo much higher than theirs. Thanks for pointing it out.

Also, regarding Fairfax and other media partners, they don't have access to the data. They are also not funding the survey. It is self-funded through Adam Winstock's Global Drug Survey company - this way it can be independent from government or any other interested parties.

The deal with the media partners is that they will promote the survey and then GDS will provide exclusive stories using the results back to the media partners. The media partners do not create the stories themselves although they do have some editorial control. I think it's a good option to promote a survey to the masses for free without compromising your independence as a research organisation.

• Like 1