The Corroboree
nabraxas

You drink a lot because you're supersmart, study says

November 6

The next time you're inclined to enjoy an extra glass of wine, consider that it may be a reflection of your intelligence.

That is one of the findings from data fromtheNationalChildDevelopmentStudy in the United Kingdom and the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health in the United States.

Childhood intelligence, measured before the age of 16, was categorized in five cognitive classes, ranging from "very dull," "dull," "normal," "bright" and "very bright."

The Americans were revisited seven years later. The British youths, on the other hand, were followed in their 20s, 30s and 40s. Researchers measured their drinking habits as the participants became older.

More intelligent children in both studies grew up to drink alcohol more frequently and in greater quantities than less intelligent children. In the Brits' case, "very bright" children grew up to consume nearly eight-tenths of a standard deviation more alcohol than their "very dull" cohorts.

Researchers controlled for demographic variables -- such as marital status, parents' education, earnings, childhood social class and more -- that may have also affected adult drinking. Still, the findings held true: Smarter kids were drinking more as adults.

So why do smarter kids end up drinking more? Hypotheses abound.

Psychology Today takes an evolutionary approach. They argue that drinkable alcohol is a relatively novel invention of 10,000 years ago. Our ancestors had previously gotten their alcohol kick through eating rotten fruits, so more intelligent humans may be more likely to choose modern alcoholic beverages.

Although increased alcohol consumption could be a reflection of exceptional brainpower, drinking more will certainly not make you any more intelligent than you already are.

http://news.discovery.com/human/do-intelligent-people-drink-more-alcohol.html

i knew that was the reason. :wink:

• Like 4

does the same pattern cover the use of other compounds?

I know in my personal life this is certainly the pattern.

but please expain why the opposite trend occurs for the beer subcategory :wink: .

Edited by obtuse
  • Like 1

i must be a goddamn genius then :drool2:

• Like 3

I own letters and numbers after a few beverages, now it all makes sense.

• Like 1

I drive better when I'm drunk, is that what you are talking about?

• Like 2

I dont know nufin about the inteleget thing but wat I do now is having teenage kids make you drink more :)

Cheers

Got

• Like 2

having little kids makes you drink like a fish lol

• Like 3

they must of been pissheads and used the study as a reason to explain how much they drink to their missus/slave mistresses.

Yeah I'm a Sex Machine after a few drinks.

It's Evolution Baby!

• Like 1

So proud !!

does the same pattern cover the use of other compounds?

I know in my personal life this is certainly the pattern.

but please expain why the opposite trend occurs for the beer subcategory :wink: .

I'm pretty sure it was this study or one similar I saw a while ago claiming the same thing with illicit drugs

so yes apparently

if its true, it's because the more intelligent you are the more likely you will be to think about how messed up things are, how backwards society tends to be & how stupid the average person is & therefore need to drown your sorrows in order not to suicide. the dumber you are the more likely you will be to be ignorant & simply accept things & so not feel the need to self medicate. that's my hypothesis

• Like 7

paradox, you beat me to it. thats my thoughts on this matter, in my case at least. another interesting part to this i think (once again in my case), is that after i have a few drinks, the emotion i feel about "how messed up things are" comes out. this makes me sound "very dull", and thus allows me to fit into my society. for a while anyhow.

"the dumber you are the more likely you will be to be ignorant & simply accept things & so not feel the need to self medicate. that's my hypothesis" i have a so-called friend who proves this without doubt.

• Like 1

Someone should show that study to the drunk guy that came to my house around midnight last night wanting to buy a can of coke. I think he thought my house was a shop.

I've had a can of coke in the fridge for years so I sold it to him - twice

He gave me five bucks and I went in to get the can and when I came out with it he'd fallen asleep on the verandah, I woke him up and told him "That will be 5 bucks" so he gave me another 5 bucks and I gave him the coke.

• Like 3

@ GoOnThen: even worse when the kids are way past their teen's and still at home mate! Still doing my damndest to get the 25 year old stepson out of the house, failing misserably though as his girlfriend spends more time here than at her own place!

Least I'm 2 down now with just the one to go....soon enough it's just the wife and I!

Doesn't help that I'm closer in age to the kids than what really is common, turned step grandpa at the tender age of 25! Lol

^^^^

lol , 5 bucks for a coke? you ripped him off.

Obviously the smart guys remain smart even drunk, while the stupid ones become more stupid, makes sense

Someone should show that study to the drunk guy that came to my house around midnight last night wanting to buy a can of coke. I think he thought my house was a shop.

I've had a can of coke in the fridge for years so I sold it to him - twice

He gave me five bucks and I went in to get the can and when I came out with it he'd fallen asleep on the verandah, I woke him up and told him "That will be 5 bucks" so he gave me another 5 bucks and I gave him the coke.

We drink to lower our intelligence because knowledge is a curse. (not me though, i don't often drink)

• Like 2

what about the monkeys that eat rotten fruit to get drunk is this the beginning of planet of the apes

@ GoOnThen: even worse when the kids are way past their teen's and still at home mate! Still doing my damndest to get the 25 year old stepson out of the house, failing misserably though as his girlfriend spends more time here than at her own place!

Least I'm 2 down now with just the one to go....soon enough it's just the wife and I!

Doesn't help that I'm closer in age to the kids than what really is common, turned step grandpa at the tender age of 25! Lol

just dump them in the forest