The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mindperformer

Oldest crops of mankind

New additions to the list: apple, medlar, quince and pear

and more on the breadfruit and sweet chestnut

Edited by mindperformer

I love this thread!

Been watching a show called 10,000BC - dropping 20 Brits into into a remote spot in Bulgaria to recreate living in the Mesolithic period. Interesting in a way.

Discovered Arctium lappa (Burdock root) as it becomes somewhat of a staple food for these people. Might get some seeds and try it later this year :)

• Like 1

I love this thread!

Been watching a show called 10,000BC - dropping 20 Brits into into a remote spot in Bulgaria to recreate living in the Mesolithic period. Interesting in a way.

Discovered Arctium lappa (Burdock root) as it becomes somewhat of a staple food for these people. Might get some seeds and try it later this year :)

burdock is an excellent food...still very popular in Asia.....

• Like 1

Awesome thread guys! GG! (y)

... Arctium lappa (Burdock root)

That has a yearly spot in my garden, quite useful.

I grow the roots MUCH bigger than the japanese do, like 5 cm x 22 cm, and theyre still perfectly edible cooked. The leaves are edible, theres a 'edible leaf' variety called ha gobo but fuck it, I just eat the normal ones cooked. It has various medicinal properties- the root is used as a detoxifier in the west and is packed with antioxidants and novel critters, the leaves have the antioxidants without the novel critters, the seed is used for head, neck, and upper respiratory infections in asia- packed with lignans and others.

First time I grew it I got it in trade from a wild harvester and it tasted like shit tho. It became a vegetable after I bought medicinal grade seed.