The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bogfrog

No grass lawn?

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone knows of any alternatives to grass for a small patch of ground that i would like to turn into a lawn.

I would prefer some kind of groundcover which doesn't need to be mowed and doesn't mind being walked on or sat on everynow and then.

Cheers.

If its only occasional traffic & you can keep the moisture up to it Corsican mint (Mentha requienii) would be my first choice, its not the easiest lawn substitute species but its really low growing, looks great & smells divine when you walk on it.

Edited by shortly
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuloYX_CHeU

I intend to not have a lawn. I'd love to have stepping stones with just a large mix of native flowers and ornamentals, fluttered about with butterflies and lady beetles, the chirping of crickets, kids hitting the wickets and a porch with an old guitar. Is that a song? It kind of sounds like one

• Like 2

Wonderful suggestions, i might mix it up and try a few things, my gotu kola has been rooting underneath the ground and spreading like crazy so it would do great.

I'll probably be able to source some of that mint quite cheaply through my partner's work, thanks for the suggestions!

Khala, you dreamy poet, you would love my garden then, its all stepping stones, trees and flowers.. Cabbage moths, cacti clusters and bonsai viewing platforms.

Made up of many many terraces with nooks and crannies galore for my army of plant-folk.

I started a Chamomile lawn over there not long before we moved, it was spreading quite well.

always wanted to have a little patch like this: http://camomile.whit.../image/home.jpg

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

i knew someone in perth that had a cool thyme lawn. smelt nice when you walked on it and if i remember correctly it didn't need to be mowed. it may have been a creeping variety.

it was leading up to their front door so took a fair bit of traffic. they put a few pavers down so you could avoid walking on it all the time.

i've been interested in this idea for a while.

• Like 1

Phyla nodiflora (Verbenaceae) aka fogfruit, condomine couch etc.

it can be a bit invasive in some areas, and flowers often and attracts bees (hazard for bare feet)

quite tough.

Dichondra repens (Convolvulaceae) ok for low trafic areas and a bit of shade.

Edited by gecko
  • Like 1

Zoysia is a Genus of very hardy and low maintenance grass if you just wanted an easier to care for variety.

Its natual form comes as a thick layer of small leaves.

The whole layer tends to get undulating lumps, which can make for an intresting 'lawn'

It has also been cultivated into more 'normal' looking lawns.

i have condamine couch it is lovely has a great texture to walk on but it does seem to take over the whole garden. It is

very hardy and is quite comfy