The Corroboree

Thanks Amazonian hopefully they'll be loved in their new home :)

I agree both are different style but the 2nd frame is made a little better. You can see on the first one some of the 45 degree angles didn't quite come out at 45 and so its a bit dodgy. They say we learn from our mistakes though and the 2nd was better so I'm still pretty pleased overall.

45 degree angles are a bit tricky to master. What are you using?.... a mitre box or table saw or?

The frames have a lovely rustic look to them, and the slight gap in the join adds to that :) . If something like that really bothered you, you could always cut out a leaf shape or something, and glue it over a corner.

Your absolutely right in saying we learn from our mistakes.

I can see if you keep at this 'use of pallets for furniture', you are going to be churning out some really outstanding items.

Keep it up lhb244 :)

Thanks again Amazonian, much appreciated :)

I just browsed through some of your carvings and pwhoooarr!!! they are sick! Very inspiring, makes me wish I had enough time to try my hand at that too.

I'm using a real dodgy compound mitre saw thats had a fair beating and I'm beginning to think the guides are off in the slightest (they are all plastic and feel pretty cheap)

God I wish I had a decent table saw (I'd finally be able to build my PA!!!!) I was thinking of doing something along those lines to get a little decorative, dress them up to

hide any errors I've made but though oh well I'm only starting out, they add a little character anyway I think :)

I would really like to try all wood joinery (no use of glue, nails, screws etc) but don't think I'm quite up to it yet but as they say, practice makes perfect so with time I'll

give it a crack

sorry, i haven't read the thread....

pulling nails out of pallets, is mostly very hard work, specialy if it's hardwood.

cutting with the circular saw, the two ends with nails off is faster.

always look out, for o' brian glass pallets/packaging,

some of the timbers they use, are second grade timbers, but they are often super noble timbers (oak, maple, meranti) and not just pine. japanese wind screens, get packaged even with japanese maple, a timber which, never get's exported from japan, to any outside japan timber trader!

in short you can find rare timbers, recycling this way!

• Like 2

Fantastic work, lhb2444

I was doing the same when I was back at uni.. no pictures unfortunately. I've made a rat enclosure, a coffee table and a side table from salvaged pallets. I always found them really difficult to break up, especially the hard wood ones and I usually ended up splitting the wood and wasting half the pallet. I've purchased a circular saw now, but I'm too afraid to use it so it sits in my cupboard collecting dust. I could never get the neatness you have in work.. I got pretty lazy after hand sawing for hours.

Anyhow, I wanted to say that bamboo is a pretty amazing building material and you can completely forgo the nails and glue. I made this awesome loft bed and teepee with a few ropes, nicely placed cuts and a machette. If you ask and look around you should be easily able to source some free material.

• Like 1

To check your drop saw place a straight edge/level up against the rails. It should be flush all the way along. Depending on the quality of the saw you may be able to adjust the rails back into line. Some sandpaper between the rail and guide may help.

To check your mitres cut a 45 degree then flipit over and place on the other side of the blade. The mitre should fit snugly into the blade. If not, somethings out.

Edited by OPP
  • Like 1

Your damm right its hard word PH! haha, no pain no gain though right?

I've been doing that of recent too as I acquired a circular saw recently which is making life much easier! Can't say I've ever seen O'Brian glass pallets (I'm assuming you mean whatever pallets O'Brian's Glass uses to package their glass?) but I will definitely keep an eye out now.

I've been going down to a place in Marrickville called The Bower which sells all sorts of old recycled stuff and have been buying the odd old hardwood skirting board or floor board for super cheap which is nice to work with.

Overcome your fear of the circular saw domide it makes life a lot easier!!

Thanks OPP, I never thought of checking/knew how to check the saws accuracy so I'll give that a shot today.

Edited by lhb2444

If your drop saw doesn't cut square or a true 45 degree (and you can't correct it) you can buy one of these and run your circular saw against it for more accurate cuts.

Aluminium_Rafter_Square.jpg

Much better than a combination square as the sides are quite thick and the saw wont jump up onto of the square.

Edited by OPP

some great idea's there peeps im onto it now & will post all my creations! :wave-finger:

• Like 1