The Corroboree
mindperformer

Cannibals Tomato (Solanum viride, S. uporo, S. anthropophagorum)

I'm cultivating a polynesian fruit called Cannibal's Tomato (Solanum viride syn. S. uporo) and the plants, grown from seed, are flowering now!.

There is a story about this plant:

In ancient times in Fiji the fruit (must be cooked) was eaten with human flesh, because without the tomato the human flesh was hard to digest....

http://www.ebooksrea...-the--hci.shtml

It is native to Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, the Tuamotus and as far west as Hawaii:

http://cookislands.b...ies.asp?id=6661

My small Uporo- plants from cool european autumn outside:

1563ay0.jpg

to artificial summer inside -flower:

2mhj12a.jpg

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

How do you plan to aquire the flesh?

• Like 4

red LED grow light i'd say Stillman

• Like 1

LOL

Umm i heard rumours that there was some being offered on silk road a while back

• Like 1

yes, its LED- growlight

I'm also very curious how the fruit will taste, maybe I should try it with placenta? *lol*

I'd think pork as we humans are supposedly the "other" white meat..lol

• Like 1

Perhaps marinated in palm sugar since apart from the skin its often called a "sweet meat"

If they prove to be a worthwhile fruit it would be interesting to see some seeds circulating among the community.

• Like 2

I read the title as "cannabis tomato." I don't know if I'm confused or disappointed. :-S

• Like 1

Haha me too at first glance.

I have heard stories about people grafting tomatoes onto datura and creating some potentially dangerous tomatoes.

Its a scary thought really!

• Like 1

For it appears that human flesh is extremely difficult to digest, and that even the strongest and most healthy men suffer from confined bowels for two or three days after a cannibal feast. Probably, in order to assist the process of digestion, " bokola," as dead men's flesh is technically termed, is always eaten with an addition of vegetables, which it may be ethnologically important to notice ; since, thanks to a powerful movement amongst the natives, the influence of commerce, Christian teaching, and the presence of a British Consul, Fijian cannibalism survives only in a few localities, and is daily becoming more and more a matter of history.

There are principally three kinds which, in Fijian estimation, ought to accompany bokola, the leaves of the Malawaci (Trophis anthropophagorum, Seem.), the Tudauo (Omalantlms pedicellatus, Bth.), and the Boro-dina (Solanum anthropophagorum, Seem.). The two former are middle-sized trees, growing wild in many parts of the group ; but the Boro-dina is cultivated, and there are generally several large bushes of it near every Bure-ni-sa (or strangers' house), where the bodies of those slain in battle are always taken. The Boro dina is a bushy shrub, seldom higher than six feet, with a dark, glossy foliage, and berries of the shape, size, and colour of tomatoes. This fruit has a faint aromatic smell, and is occasionally prepared like tomato sauce. The leaves of these three plants are wrapped around the bokola, as those of the taro are around pork, and baked with it on heated stones. Salt is not forgotten.

So it's the leaves, not the fruit? Wonder if they actually contain some proteolytic enzymes, or if it's just a myth?

Yes, this text seems to refer to the leaves, which are often used- also medicinally, in polynesia. But I've also read texts which refer to the fruits in connection with cannibalism.

This is a very interesting book:

http://whqlibdoc.who.../9290611189.pdf

Edited by mindperformer