The Corroboree
Jox

Moving to PNG?

My sister's a white female, by the way, lol.

I'm from PNG and have lived here my entire life. I've also traveled extensively, spending months at a time in various cities around the world. It's weird listening to all the hysteria. My advice is perhaps avoid Port Moresby if you can, get out to some other places if at all possible. Come up yourself a few times and simply check it out. You just can't generalise about PNG, it's simply too diverse of a place. Where I live in Alotau is paradise for me and my family, there is no other place I'd rather be in the world.

I would question the reasoning of going by the worst possible experiences, and using that as a yard stick to gauge a potential new experience, you might as well go back to your comfort zone. The best thing about PNG is, if you are willing to open up to the local people you will become appreciated, loved and respected. There are many an expat that call PNG home or are enamoured to the place after having had the most wonderful experiences. I'm prepared to offer more advice if anyone would like to find out more. :)

• Like 2

What do you do about the Malaria in coastal areas. (And the snakes crocs and jellyfish for that matter) Is it just something you put up with. ie just treat it if you come down with it and hope for the best.

Malaria is pretty hardcore, even with modern medicine a lot of people still die.

Anyway, nice to hear a positive story for a change.

My last trip to the highlands resulted in having to flee a major tribal fight where a number of people were shot and hacked up. Including an innocent lady who was slayed out front of my girlfriend's house. The innocent lady was also pregnant and the dying baby was hanging out of her. I only saw the bloodstain on the road.

The killer had married a woman from our village and only came back after he got chased out of his own village for being a trouble maker. But he decided to continue his fighting by killing this innocent woman. It was a crazy situation to be in, everybody had to go into hiding, and I was a prime target for revenge attacks because of my association with that certain tribe.

It's survival of the killers up there. I also spent a lot of time with a top bloke named Ten. Turns out he was a real warrior on the battle field and has killed ten enemies, hence the name. I didn't feel safe anywhere after that, I realized I could have potential enemies anywhere and could be ambushed anytime for something I had nothing to do with. Crazy stuff man.

Also while I was up there last, I read in the paper how 2 women, badly injured in a road accident, were pulled from the wreck and raped as they lay dying on the side of the road. It was a national disgrace but that kinda thing can and does happen in some places. Travelling on the road is extremely dangerous in the highlands, you're safe one minute and running for your life the next.

Stories like this made me re-consider living up there. Some places are seriously dangerous! (mainly in the highlands)

I would recommend holidays to PNG for sure, it's paradise! But living there for good is a big gamble IMO. It's only a matter of time till the shit goes down.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

I was reading an article where women where being publicly tortured and burned to death there as witches. Hectic!

I know someone that took an accounting job in port Moresby - his life was living inside his fortified and man-guarded compound and then driving weekdays with an armed guard to the other fortified compound he worked in. He hated it. Twice even then their property was broken into and his wife was also sexually assaulted.

this bloke came to Guatemala with me and said port morseby made Guatemala look like a police state.

Some other stories - was soldiers staying in port morseby were told that its common to hit locals in your car but that if you do never stop or you will be killed, gang rape is common particularly in port Moresby, and a govt official stationed there in the 70s had both his arms chopped off while being mugged, tribal.disputes are commonly resolved with machette fights and slaughter etc.

In truth a young family there would hate it and be stuck in a compound all day or wind up in trouble. I k ew a family that went there in the 80s and seemed to love it though.

considered the Solomons? Has its own problems but not as bad.