The Corroboree
bogfrog

Moral dilema and strawberry question.

Hi, just a couple silly gardening questions here.

Yesterday i caught a very creepy spider which looks alot like a katipo, but i think its a false katipo, which although its bite can be very painful, is not fatal to humans.

I just don't know what i should do with it!

If i release it, it will likely settle down in my garden and have a family, but if i kill it i have a funny feeling i'll be seeing alot more of them.

And secondly, i was about to put bird netting over my strawberry patch, but then insects won't be able to get to the new strawberry flowers to pollentate them.

Will this mean i wont get any more strawberries? Or do they not rely on insects for pollenation?

strawberries use both wind and insects to pollinate, you could easily just give them a bit of a "dusting" with a paint brush and help pollen transfer i guess

I had some redbacks living under my back door sill, they lived there for over a year before a zealous friend saw them and removed them. They seemed to tolerate my presence well, I think I would remove them nowadays and put them somewhere else, if only because I have a very curious daughter. Thing is, if there is a beastie in the area there will likely be others nearby, and you will just be vacating the spot to allow another of the same to take it's place.

I'm not really sure where it came from, i was just sitting on the lounge floor and it ran at me!

I had serious spider paranoia while i was weeding my garden today.. Think il just let it go then, hopefully it doesnt try another home invasion.

And thanks Moses, i gave all my strawberries a fluff with a paintbrush before covering them with mesh.

Throw it over the neighbors fence :innocent_n:

• Like 2