The Corroboree
chilli

'DMT is similar to meth'

Authorities continue to investigate what could be the components needed to set up a drug laboratory in Liberty to manufacture dimethyltryptamine, a hallucinogenic drug known as DMT.

Sheriff Bob Boydston said the Clay County Drug Squad, comprised of area law enforcement agencies, was still trying to sort out the items found in an apartment at the Jefferson Park apartment complex, 1220 Missouri Court. What is believed to be ingredients for making DMT was sent to a Kansas City lab for analysis, he said.

While the finished product was not found at the scene, Boydston said significant precursors needed to make the drug were found.

No arrests have been made.

“It’s amazing what people find to put in their bodies,” Boydston said. “I’m not a chemist, but I understand that DMT is similar to meth and gives you similar hallucinations to LSD.”

According to information on the Internet, the drug can be made from materials extracted from tree bark and other plants. The drug is most commonly smoked in a pipe or joint and produces a high that can last from 10 minutes to an hour, depending on the dosage and form of DMT consumed.

http://www.libertytribune.com/news/article_436d0757-4cce-5554-85d7-863859c531db.html

Bust reveals psychedelic drug made from tree bark

Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:52 AM ESTUpdated: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:35 AM EST

By Chris Oberholtz, Multimedia Producer - [[email protected]?body=http://www.kctv5.com/story/19781815/bust-reveals-psychedelic-drug]email[/email]

By Dave Jordan, News Reporter - bio | [[email protected]?body=http://www.kctv5.com/story/19781815/bust-reveals-psychedelic-drug]email[/email]

19781815_BG1.jpg

LIBERTY, MO (KCTV) -

Neighbors remain on edge after authorities uncovered an unusual psychedelic drug made from tree bark during a bust in a Northland neighborhood.

The raid Tuesday afternoon at the Jefferson Park Apartments near Highway 291 centered around the drug called dimethehyltryptamine, or DMT. It is chemically processed, much like methamphetamine, and then smoked.

Those who live in the area describe the apartment complex as quiet and relatively safe. Becky Springer witnessed the raid about 1 p.m. when she came home from school.

"[There were] cops blocking off certain areas, people carrying out bags of things, mason jars," Springer said.

Clay County Sheriff Bob Boydston said that deputies removed several ounces of the drug placed into packages. The drug was tested on the scene and is now being tested in a lab.

No arrests have been made.

"I don't really feel comfortable living near a drug lab," Springer said. "There are tons of children in this neighborhood, so I don't think this is a good thing for our neighborhood at all."

According to the DEA the drug, DMT, is a psychedelic, and it is usually mixed with other drugs and can be sniffed, smoked or injected. The high lasts 45 minutes to an hour and gained popularity in the 60s.

The drug was also was put under the Controlled Substances Act in 1971. The DEA reports at high doses, users have experienced coma and respiratory arrest.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/19781815/bust-reveals-psychedelic-drug

so scary... so much win

• Like 2

"I don't really feel comfortable living near a drug lab," Springer said. "There are tons of children in this neighborhood, so I don't think this is a good thing for our neighborhood at all."

How about go and fuck yourself. What I do in the privacy of my own home is none of your god damn business.

Fuck you and fuck your sensitive children.

I REALLY hate people. A lot.

Edited by SYNeR
  • Like 4

They some shitty dirty noob crystals.

• Like 5

Post #3 is scarier than any drug lab : (

---

Common point of sense worth noting..

is..

anything remotely psychedelic actually improves self awareness, and therefore society..

and the safety of children.

Alcohol, nicotine, caffeine.. dont really bring together a sense of connectedness.

And while meth hardly does..

to my mind, its only supercharged caffeine with some of the left over euphoria that most unadulterated plants normally contain anyhow.

A few years from now..

Imagine a world where DMT is prescribed to terminally ill patients to help overcome the fear of death.

OR where plants and there compounds are once again respected as the mighty spirits of healing and teaching that they truly are.

Our jobs, to continue facilitating sense as common..

ignoring culture,

and replace a congruent, LOVING, compassionate and intelligent paradigm instead.

: )

Edited by mud
  • Like 8

well dmt occurs naturally in you brain therefore you brain is a illegal drug lab producing a whole range of phenyl amines triptamines etc i better get a labotamy to get rid of the evidence

I would love to see how a meth head reacted if they loaded up a bowl of dmt as opposed meth. I bet the meth head wouldn't think dmt is like meth :lol:

Syner, I'm not sure how accurately the article was written but if there were a few ounces of finished product (probably in the form of infused leaf) then I wouldn't say it was for personal use. I completely agree that if you make something for personal use that is okay but when your selling ounces of the stuff you can hardly call it personal use. You could be the most enlightened individual in which case smoking it might be alright but if your selling ounces of it chances are you're selling it to people who will not get the same thing from the experience, who have not read about what to expect (so have not adjusted set and setting accordingly) and who could ultimately get quite fucked up from this experience which is at the end of the day is a contributing factor to the illegality of this most powerful transformative tool.

On a side note having seen the above picture of those crystals I thought of the fortress of solitude in superman being made entirely of dmt, wonder how that would change the story.

• Like 1

There is NO evidence AT ALL which indicates dmt is produced in the brain or resides in the pineal gland. It was strassman conjecture, oft repeated by all and sundry.

• Like 8

As of September 2010, this question of whether DMT is produced in the brain does not have a simple yes or no answer. It has not yet been conclusively demonstrated that DMT is produced in the living human brain, but there are strong reasons to believe that it might be, as well as technical issues that make the theory difficult to verify.

The presence of DMT in human blood and urine has been conclusively reported in a number of papers (Riceberg and van Vunakis, 1978). For many years, its presence in urine was tied to people with schizophrenia and psychosis (Jacobs and Presti, 2005). There is no question that DMT is naturally produced in the human body.

http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=3146

There's no question? I'm sure hippies surely wanna believe it..

But there is NO evidence.

• Like 1

Actually there is much evidence to support the hypothesis of endogenous DMT.

see:

Steven A. Barker, Ethan H. McIlhenny, Rick Strassman. 2012. A critical review of reports of endogenous psychedelic N,N-dimethyltryptamines in humans: 1955–2010. Drug Testing and Analysis Vol 4 Issue 7-8

If you don't have journal access then the review can be accessed by anyone here:

http://www.neip.info/downloads/McIlhenny_Ayahuasca.pdf

where it is appended to the PhD dissertation of McIlhenny (starting page 150) who submitted his thesis 2 months ago.

It reviews all 69 published reports of endogenous DMT, 5MeODMT and 5OHDMT from 1955 to 2010.

An excellent discussion well worth a read if you are undecided about whether DMT is produced in the human body. It makes a very compelling case, and identifies further experiments that may tell us for certain. No we can't say 100% that DMT is produced in the body (even though many papers have - and these and their research methodologies are analysed and discussed in the review above) but after reading the review it is difficult to imagine how it couldn't be made in our bodies. The research continues.

Edited by Alice
  • Like 6

Scientifically speaking, there is so little evidence because DMT is a sneaky ninja. :P

As far as I can discern, it is definitely produced in the human body, and probably in the brain as well. Oh and just about everything else.

I got told once by someone quite munted that there's dmt in my tv set.

• Like 5

'It is chemically processed, much like methamphetamine'

Alrighty then...

I read recently in 'Inner paths To Outer Space, Journeys to Alien Worlds through Psychedelics and Other Spiritual Technologies' by Rick Strassman, Slawek Wojtowicz, Luis Eduardo Luna, and Ede Frecska:

"...as previously mentioned, dozens of studies cite that DMT has been found in human blood, urine, and spinal fluid. Scientists have isolated the gene that synthesizes the DMT-forming enzyme in humans and have inserted this gene into a virus. after they infect mammalian cells with this virus, the cells produce DMT in the test tube."

M.A Thompson, E. Moon, U,-J, Kim, J. Xu, M. J. Siciliano, and R. M. Weinshilboum, "human Indolethylamine N-methyltransferase: cDNA Cloning and Expression, Gene Cloning, and Chromosomal Localization," Genomics 61 (1999): 285 - 97.

• Like 2

Boydston said. “I’m not a chemist

I think he would have been best just finnishing here. It seems the most accurate thing in this article.

• Like 7

Rock salt kinda looks a bit like

Meth too.. down with salty foods!

I buy food with money, much like methamphetamine. I then eat the food, much like methamphetamine. After not having food for awhile I feel like I need more food, much like methamphetamine. Sometimes I put salt on my food. Salt often comes in a crystalised form, much like methamphetamine.

sigh :(

• Like 11

you're on a fucking roll this morning

I think it's quite a reasonable hypothesise that if DMT is found in the human body then it is produced in the brain somewhere, but the idea that it is produced in the pineal gland is wild conjecture at best, and pure mythology at worst.

Did you have a look at the review I linked too?

... DMT synthesis has been proposed to occur in adrenal and lung, where high levels of the enzyme responsible for its synthesis--indole-N-methyltransferase (INMT)--have been reported [C.96, C.97].
However, recent studies by Cozzi et al.[C.99], using a fluorescent antibody to INMT and confocal microscopy, have identified INMT in spinal cord, brain, retina, and pineal ...

I'm no biologist, but if the enzyme they believe is responsible for endogenous DMT synthesis has been detected in the pineal gland, then doesn't that suggest that there is some possibility that at least some DMT synthesis may be happening there, even if the enzyme concentrations are lower than in other body parts such as the adrenal gland and lung?

• Like 2

And for anyone with limited time whose is put off by the page count, you can just skip to the discussion starting page 177 and read from there. It's only 6 or so pages and sums it up nicely.

if the enzyme they believe is responsible for endogenous DMT synthesis has been detected in the pineal gland, then doesn't that suggest that there is some possibility that at least some DMT synthesis may be happening there, even if the enzyme concentrations are lower than in other body parts such as the adrenal gland and lung?

Okay, the way I put it was not necessarily accurate. It's possible that the pineal gland produces DMT. It's also possible that every other part of the brain, and even other organs, also produce DMT. I haven't read the whole dissertation, nor have I read the references they cite, but my impression is that they are finding INMT anywhere they look for it. I realise you're not suggesting that the evidence points to the pineal gland being responsible for all DMT production in the human body, but that is the claim that is made (or implied) by most people bringing up the pineal gland in reference to DMT. People who are into the whole 'third eye' mythology, with DMT and the pineal gland, will likely approach this with confirmation bias.

Basically, thinking that finding INMT in several places including the pineal gland and concluding that the pineal gland is responsible for the production of DMT is like finding antibodies in the little toe on the right foot and concluding that the little toe on the right foot is responsible for protecting the body from infection. While not entirely false, it places false importance on a particular anatomical feature. I'm also guessing that finding a precursor or catalyst is nowhere near as meaningful as finding by-products of the production of a chemical. Just because the precursors are there doesn't mean that production ever takes place.

Now if the people actually researching this think there is enough of a reason to look further at the pineal gland as a possible source of endogenous DMT, even if it's just a strong hunch, then good luck to them, but until there is some evidence that the pineal gland produces DMT, and also that it has a special function in doing so, then all the stories about the pineal gland playing some grand part in the endogenous production of DMT remain mythological.

So yes, in answer to your question, there is some possibility that at least some DMT synthesis may be happening there.

• Like 5

OK I see where you're coming from now.

.... While not entirely false, it places false importance on a particular anatomical feature.

I agree.

Hell yeah Balzac.