The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sallubrious

1 K posts quiz

OK so I've been here long enough to rack up 1000 posts.

I've received some awesome stuff from this community and I've learned a lot since I've been here so I'm giving a few things back.

These items are for people who have 50 posts or more and live in states that have not been corrupted by archaic laws - WA or Tas and I can't post overseas except for the seeds sorry.

#1 19 cm KK339 tip cut (slightly etiolated but recovered & regrowing)

#2 Psychotria nexus plant

#3 Lophophora williamsii 1 year old seedling approx 14 mm

#4 Trichocereus SS02 * bridgesii 1 year old approx 60 mm

#5 10 Acacia simplicifolia seeds

#6 10 Acacia simplicifolia seeds

#7 10 Acacia simplicifolia seeds

To make it interesting there is a list of questions corresponding to each numbered item on the list, so if you want item 1 answer that question correctly and it's yours.

#1 Which physical phenomena is exploited in a tank circuit in an FM transmitter (not oscillation)

#2 How do you drill a square hole in a piece of steel

#3 I've recently germinated some seeds that are the only species in their genus - name the genus

#4 The presence of dandelions indicates a predominant deficiency of which mineral in soil

#5 What unit does a refractometer measure

#6 How old was Old Tom Parr said to be when he had an affair and fathered and illegitimate child

#7 How do you determine the age of a racehorse.

The first person to answer each question gets that item.

One guess per person each day.

Good luck.

• Like 5

Question 2 please.... with a rotary broach or a milling machine. Or you could use a regular drill and file out with a straight edge file. A grinder may work too. Nice giveaway! Congrats. OD

#2 with the Swiss made Vika attachement :) Hope i am right.

Shit... beat me to it Optical. oh well.

P.S, Congratulations on reaching 1000! great give away.

Edited by Gollum

#3 I believe is Carnegiea, or Saguaro by common name?

Edit in to say congratulations, thanks for being around and awesome giveaway, even if I'm wrong.

Edited by Khala

1)Conduction

2)You cant, cut it

3)Acacia

4)Sodium

5)Refracto's

6)I think i know this- 124 or close to.

7)Size of teeth or mouth ie never look a gift horse etc etc

1000 posts! Congrats :) I'm nearly halfway there.

#1 - Resonance / Resonant frequency. I think...

#3. I was going to go with Carnegiea but Khala beat me ( :ana: ). So in case he is wrong, I'll lock in Anethum.

whoohoo, the big 1000. well done Sally.

#6 100 years

I dont have enough posts yet,but thanks for being generous.

Question 2 please.... with a rotary broach or a milling machine. Or you could use a regular drill and file out with a straight edge file. A grinder may work too. Nice giveaway! Congrats. OD

Well done, I used to have drill sharpened to 90 deg that did the same thing, I won a few bets with that back in the day. An end mill or slot drill would do it too.

#3 I believe is Carnegiea, or Saguaro by common name?

Edit in to say congratulations, thanks for being around and awesome giveaway, even if I'm wrong.

You got me on a technicality there, I wasn't thinking about the Carnegias but I have recently germinated some of them so I have to say yes.

I was thinking of Welwitschia.

1)Conduction

2)You cant, cut it

3)Acacia

4)Sodium

5)Refracto's

6)I think i know this- 124 or close to.

7)Size of teeth or mouth ie never look a gift horse etc etc

Sorry Santiago they're all off the mark, I was planning on people having one guess at one topic each.

Nice try though

1000 posts! Congrats :) I'm nearly halfway there.

#1 - Resonance / Resonant frequency. I think...

Another winner !

I visualised the concept about twenty years ago when I was learning electronics and now I still see it whenever I'm drifting of to sleep. Sometimes I can perceive a tone change if I change the values of the circuit. It drives me nuts some nights

by feeling how sinewy the hindquarters feel to the touch at 6am before brekky and a rubdown

topstuff sally

Fuck you crack me up man

whoohoo, the big 1000. well done Sally.

#6 100 years

And LokStok got the right answer for No 6, I forgot to multi-quote that one.

I have a few things that I like to think of whenever I'm feeling down and Old Tom Parr is near the top of the list. Having a few things stored in "positive space" in your mind can snap you out of a negative mood.

So as it stands now

#1 Which physical phenomena is exploited in a tank circuit in an FM transmitter (not oscillation)

#3 I've recently germinated some seeds that are the only species in their genus - name the genus

#4 The presence of dandelions indicates a predominant deficiency of which mineral in soil

#6 How old was Old Tom Parr said to be when he had an affair and fathered and illegitimate child

So PM me your details and I'll get them posted when I get a chance.

Edited by SallyD

7# by cutting it in half and counting the rings?

• Like 2

HA stillman. Coolio.

7# by cutting it in half and counting the rings?

That reminds me of an old joke.

A bloke rides into Alice springs and robs the bank and then escapes on a camel.

When the police where interviewing witnesses they said it was a 7 year old camel.

The cop asks how did they know how old the camel was.

One of the witnesses replied when the camel turned around we could see its date.

• Like 1

Well done on 1000 posts :)

4# Dandelions indicate very low levels of calcium....

Well done on 1000 posts :)

4# Dandelions indicate very low levels of calcium....

That's the one! Pm me your addy

Don't be tempted to correct the deficiency with dolomite or you could make your soil compacted & infertile with a seriously unbalanced nitrogen cycle (from the excess magnesium).

Use normal lime and only use dolomite after a soil analysis implies that it is essential

Edited by SallyD

Glyphosate

https://en.wikipedia...ndup_(herbicide)

Most weeds won't grow if the soil is managed properly.

Once the soil is growing high brix plants the dandelions and many other weeds will not grow.

Weeds are high in the minerals that soil lacks.

I know your response was tongue in cheek but that's the way big agro business works and our food is nutrient deficient as a result.

I actually didn't know that about dandelions or weeds in general. So dandelions are then high in calcium themselves? Where do they aquire it from? I am enjoying the questions!

#7 their teeth?

I actually didn't know that about dandelions or weeds in general. So dandelions are then high in calcium themselves? Where do they aquire it from? I am enjoying the questions!

It's a somewhat contentious issue that has caused some scientific debate.

The weeds seem to accumulate unexplainable high levels of some minerals as compared to the results of a soil analysis of the soil they are growing in.

Some say it is the result of biological transmutations in the plants and microbial life that associates with them. That is they can turn one element into something else.

I'm almost certain atomic transmutation has been documented so I'm inclined to think it's possible for plants and bacteria to do it too. Mind you I haven't investigated any of that for a very long time so I could be way off the mark.

#7 their teeth?

Sorry Ethos that's not the answer I was after.

It is good way to get a rough idea, but I was after something a bit more specific - down to the year accuracy.

what.....i didnt get refracto's right, it was a refractometer right :)

• Like 1