The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Shamanistic

Any Updates on P. Nexus?

Was just browsing and seen someone on another forum mentioning Psychotria Nexus (old aeb topic) and remembered that a while ago I was quite interested in how this plant would turn out in the long term.I would imagine there'd be more information available now but there hasn't been any discussion since 2011 that I can find. Can anyone give some updates on how their plants are going and, where legal, has anyone tried a brew with nexus? How'd this compare with a plain viridis?

Peace.

Edited by planthelper
added tag

my nexus is looking healthier then my viridis. that is all

I haven't made a brew of any sort but my nexus is doing well in the same environment where my viridis died. I made a cutting which I'm sending on to another member which has given 5 shoots (all joined at the base unfortunately) from a single leaf. I'll try to make some more cuttings this summer and hopefully spread the plant around some more.

It seems to tolerate moisture much more than my viridis did, the pot with the cutting is soaked most of the time and the cutting doesn't show any sign of trouble. The viridis I had previously had what looked like leaf rust and quickly dropped all of its leaves and died.

• Like 1

it definately expresses, lot's of virgor and is more robust, regarding bad climat's and bad care.

i think the other viridis are better., but require more fuzzing around...

Mine is still going strong and is the only one of my psychotrias (I have viridis and carth) to have flowered (no seed though), and my viridis are two to three times its size. It does well in full sun and shows some wavy leaf margins and leaves which are wider than viridis, but still a bit elongated - viridis has smooth edged longer, more narrow leaves and quickly dries out despite being in almost complete shade and in larger pots with lots of compost. Nexus seems to sprout back well after its leaves get completely dried out and fall off - which happened after i moved mine out of the shade, but my other psychotria's seem to do this almost as well. Surprisingly I wouldnt say its growing any faster than the others, but it has almost died a few times, which hinders growth for a few months, and its been in the same small pot for quite some time

EDIT: got it mixed up with my carth lol

Edited by poisonshroom

Thank you everyone.

PH: I've got a viridis which surprisingly didn't drop any leaves over winter unlike others who live around my area. I think it maybe the microclimate I planted it in. Only problem is it grows really slow which is a shame since I think the viridis is a beautiful looking plant so I was thinking a nexus might go well in my garden and after reading what you guys have said I think I'll go with that. Maybe in another 10 years my viridis may resemble a bush :lol:

I think Darren (the breeder of nexus, from Herbalistics) has them on special atm - $10 a plant if anybodys keen. I've got a few on the way. He also says on his site that he'll be experimenting later this year with back-crossing it to viridis again, which hopefully will give it more of viridis's good points while retaining the hardiness and growth habits that nexus has become known for.

I'll have to ask him how that's going next time I'm in touch with him actually, I'm keen to see how it pans out.

• Like 2